Patient Comments: Cluster Headaches - Treatment

What treatment did you have for cluster headaches?

Comment from: Lea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I actually found that Botox has helped both the frequency and severity of the cluster headaches (CH). I get the physical signs - droopy eyelid and nasal discharge of a CH but not the pain.

Comment from: chadnjen9182, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I also suffer from the cluster headache behind the left eye. I do not know what causes it, I used to think it was stress but now it seems random. The only method that has ever worked is hot shower in the dark and I mean hot. Humming to keep the mind off the pain and then cold shower. It sounds like I'm off my rocker but if you're like me, you know. I would beat myself over the head with a rock if I thought it would help. Hang in there fellow cluster freaks.

Comment from: Charlie L., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

My visit from the cluster headaches (CH) usually begins an hour into sleep. The pain is so excruciating that I feel if a gun were in the house, I"d be tempted. I have a loving wife who feels so helpless but does her best to help with whatever she can. I was in remission for the last 4 months. Oxygen has been my savior, 10 to 12 liters a minute cuts the CH down from 45 minutes to 10 to 15 minutes. Ice on the back of my neck also helps but O2 is the best for me. I want to say to anyone that has these, hang in there. Try anything your doctor puts in front of you, sooner or later you can find some relief.

Comment from: LenR, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm a former cluster head! About 12 years ago, I met an ENT physician who claimed to have cured at least 6 patients. If you are a sufferer, you know that "cure" and "cluster headaches" are rarely connected. He surgically removed bone spurs in my nose, and, voila, cured! I've not had one since.

Comment from: Applecor, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

For cluster headache I shock the body with cold. Mainly pouring cold water over my head with a bucket or shower. This seems to stop/lessen the CH when they start, doesn't end the cycle though.

Cluster Headaches - Triggers Question: What triggers your cluster headaches?
Cluster Headache - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you get with your cluster headaches?