Patient Comments: Cluster Headaches - Treatment

What treatment did you have for cluster headaches?

Comment from: m. wallace, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have had constant, daily pain in the top right quarter of my head for over a year. The cluster headache has progressively gotten worse to the point I can barely see out of my right eye and even when pain goes my eye does not return to normal. I have had 2 MRIs done with the last showing a cyst in one of the ventricles. Doctor does not feel this has anything to do with my symptoms. I went for a third MRI this week so will see how that goes. Working is horrible and daily pain is taking a toll on me. I'm depressed and frustrated. I am taking verapamil and Zomig however they don't work very well. Close to my time of the month the pain gets lighter. I feel popping, stabbing, a washing type feeling over that part of my head. My ears hurt, my teeth bug me and it occasionally feels like the rush you hear when you yawn, pulling everything to the corner of eye. The few people I have encountered that have had clusters say they lasted up to 6 months and then go away. I am just past a year with no relief in sight.

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I suffered with cluster headaches throughout most of my military career. Doctors tried quite the array of different types of medication, of which none of them worked. When I was subscribed injectable Imitrex, I was amazed at how fast it worked. I could feel the headache start diminishing in about 5 to 15 seconds. The problem is that the pharmacy did not want to give me more than three vials per prescription. Not much help when you are having 3 or 4 episodes a day for a month and a half to two months. Shortly after I retired, I went in for a prescription of Lexapro for depression. I have not had a cluster attack since 2002. That makes it 13 years since I have had a cluster headache attack. Although I wouldn't mind getting off of Lexapro because I no longer feel depressed, I will probably always be on it to keep cluster headaches away.

Comment from: abufahad, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

I started having cluster headaches when I was 17 years old, three or four times with an average gap of 1 to 1.5 years between them. That's when I started taking black seed oil, when I was about 26. I started black seed for my stomach issues, which in turn stopped clusters. Pretty effective medication. Couple of times in recent years the cycle starts and the moment I start taking black seed, it stops abruptly.

Comment from: Smartz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

After suffering from migraines for a few months, I had a cluster headache in the lower right rear section of my head. The pain was excruciating. I went to my doctor and she said it might be cluster headache. She put me on oxygen for 30 minutes and it went away. And I never had migraines again, either. I had an MRI and a small stroke was found.

Comment from: Dawn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

After 17 days of waking up feeling like someone was stabbing me in the eye I asked my general physician (GP) for help. She prescribed sumatriptan, an injection you give yourself in the leg. Within 7 minutes it started to work. After 20 minutes I was pain free. The rest of the day I felt like I was me again. I awoke the next day feeling like myself again. This drug is amazing. So fellow cluster headache sufferers, suffer no longer, ask your GP for this miracle jab!

Comment from: greg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have had cluster headaches roughly 1 or 2 months at a time spaced about 4 to 5 years apart over 30 years. When getting an onset of these I lift weights and 90 percent of the time I get relief in 5 to 10 minutes but other days there is not much relief; today is one. I lifted to near muscle fatigue for hours but no relief. I have been in agony from 1:00 to 10:00. Darkness, rest and a cold rag on temple has given some relief but not much.

Cluster Headaches - Triggers Question: What triggers your cluster headaches?
Cluster Headache - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you get with your cluster headaches?