Patient Comments: Cluster Headaches - Treatment

What treatment did you have for cluster headaches?

Comment from: abufahad, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

I started having cluster headaches when I was 17 years old, three or four times with an average gap of 1 to 1.5 years between them. That's when I started taking black seed oil, when I was about 26. I started black seed for my stomach issues, which in turn stopped clusters. Pretty effective medication. Couple of times in recent years the cycle starts and the moment I start taking black seed, it stops abruptly.

Comment from: Smartz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

After suffering from migraines for a few months, I had a cluster headache in the lower right rear section of my head. The pain was excruciating. I went to my doctor and she said it might be cluster headache. She put me on oxygen for 30 minutes and it went away. And I never had migraines again, either. I had an MRI and a small stroke was found.

Comment from: Dawn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

After 17 days of waking up feeling like someone was stabbing me in the eye I asked my general physician (GP) for help. She prescribed sumatriptan, an injection you give yourself in the leg. Within 7 minutes it started to work. After 20 minutes I was pain free. The rest of the day I felt like I was me again. I awoke the next day feeling like myself again. This drug is amazing. So fellow cluster headache sufferers, suffer no longer, ask your GP for this miracle jab!

Comment from: greg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have had cluster headaches roughly 1 or 2 months at a time spaced about 4 to 5 years apart over 30 years. When getting an onset of these I lift weights and 90 percent of the time I get relief in 5 to 10 minutes but other days there is not much relief; today is one. I lifted to near muscle fatigue for hours but no relief. I have been in agony from 1:00 to 10:00. Darkness, rest and a cold rag on temple has given some relief but not much.

Comment from: MrClusters, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

For cluster headaches, 4 treatments help me. Imitrex injections, DHE-45 injections, high doses of steroids like prednisone or Solu-Medrol, and histamine desensitization therapy. High-Flow oxygen helps about 5% of the time if used quickly enough with proper set-up.

Comment from: Xxsj1989xx, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am on sumatriptan, a nerve stimulator and oxygen but I still get them, I suffer with chronic cluster headaches. I only just started my nerve stimulator so seeing how it goes.

Comment from: Dill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have suffered from cluster migraines for over forty years. I have just about tried every tablet, oxygen, injections, etc. My doctor put me under the hospital migraine clinic directly as they were pretty severe. They always lasted for a period of 12 to 14 weeks with approximately 18 months between clusters. About fifteen years ago they put me on Deseril (methysergide), which was the only drug that ever worked. I did get migraines but maybe just one every two weeks rather than each or every other day. Then about seven years ago I had a bad migraine and the side of my face dropped, the pain had caused a Bell's palsy. The doctor put me on a two week course of steroids and although it took six weeks for my face to return to normal, my migraines just stopped. I did not have another cluster spell for two years, my doctor prescribed steroids again and migraines were no more. I know some doctors are a bit reluctant to prescribe these drugs, but boy do they work. Prednisolone I think it was, 40 mg a day for a week and then reduced the amount for a week.

Cluster Headaches - Triggers Question: What triggers your cluster headaches?
Cluster Headache - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you get with your cluster headaches?