Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: Pluffmud, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis after 3 weeks at home with severe nausea, diarrhea, bad abdominal pain and almost no fever. I thought I had caught a bug my teenager had for 4 days. It hurt to eat. I looked 7 months pregnant, and I had much gas and burping. My internist did lots of blood work - CBC plus pancreas, and liver. Then an abdominal x-ray, then CT with barium and IV contrast. My white count is low. I had a horrible urinary tract infection (UTI) and didn"t even realize it until I had blood in my urine. I took Cipro for 5 days, after all of this has already begun. I did a stool sample and more blood work yesterday - C. difficile. I still have low white count, also high alkaline phosphatase for weeks. I started Flagyl today. Thank goodness for anti-nausea and pain medications. I haven"t been in hospital for 3 years except EGD and colonoscopy last fall. I almost never take antibiotics. This is weird.

Comment from: Benson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was taking antibiotics for a bladder infection, then the second day of treatment I started getting rare symptoms. I decided to ask the pharmacist if it was normal and he told me it was. I waited 4 days after I was done taking my pills and decided to just head straight to the hospital as it started to get worse, they took a stool sample and I had to wait another day for results. So I was going pretty much 11 to 13 days with this clostridium difficile growing.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had a routine colonoscopy with continued diarrhea after the procedure. Originally I thought it was because I was required to do 2 preps before the procedure. After 1 week I called the doctor who sent me to the lab with stool sample. Now I'm on antibiotics with clostridium difficile bacterial infection.

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had 5 episodes of sepsis with a Klebsiella infection in the past 8 years. I was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis recently after another episode and was told it was due to the amount of antibiotics I have taken. I am due to have a colonoscopy this week, so I hope I get some resolution.

Comment from: Briteeyes601, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

My clostridium difficile colitis was diagnosed after having a colonoscopy because of severe diarrhea with blood. By the time it was diagnosed I had developed orthostatic hypertension because of severe dehydration. I came home from hospital in a wheelchair. I spent 3 months in hospital followed by weeks of physical and occupational therapy. This disease is serious and patients and families need to be well educated. Unfortunately for me I no longer have any healthy bacteria to help fight off infections. I'm not sure how I will be treated this go round.

Comment from: scaredprof, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I took a stool test to indicate the diagnosis of C. difficile.

Comment from: Jackie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

The patient is in hospital with cancer, was given chemotherapy and is on dialysis due to only one kidney and now has clostridium difficile colitis.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?