Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: maryam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Positive AG and toxin: presence of toxigenic Clostridium difficile strain by PCR test - that was my stool result. I was having diarrhea more than 12 times per day, abdominal pain, fever 40°C, as well as fainting and nausea. I was admitted in the hospital for a week and were given many antibiotics including Flagyl. The doctor said that the main reason is antibiotics, especially Augmentin and amoxicillin. Now my result is negative.

Comment from: Robin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have been battling clostridium difficile colitis for a long time, due to overprescribing of antibiotics. The first time I had it, it was found after other things were ruled out. Going on round 4 now, I wonder if I will ever be free of it. I had a really nasty urinary tract infection (UTI) a few months ago and it said on the bottle of antibiotics that it could cause C. difficile at a later stage. This time I"ve been sicker than the other times. It causes me to be sick to my stomach, have no appetite, feel weak, and of course run to the bathroom a dozen times a day. Something has to be done about the over prescribing of antibiotics. This is a very serious disease.

Comment from: Laura, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

My daughter went to a water park on 3/22 and swallowed lots of water playing out there and got this clostridium difficile colitis. She started it with sore throat and no one at the local emergency room found anything, although she had 102.8 temperature. One week later, another doctor tested her for strep throat and for mononucleosis and nothing showed. Finally, after we informed them that she had 5 times a day diarrhea for almost 6 days after finishing the antibiotic (cefdinir), they tested her stool. It was when they found the C. difficile.

Comment from: Pluffmud, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis after 3 weeks at home with severe nausea, diarrhea, bad abdominal pain and almost no fever. I thought I had caught a bug my teenager had for 4 days. It hurt to eat. I looked 7 months pregnant, and I had much gas and burping. My internist did lots of blood work - CBC plus pancreas, and liver. Then an abdominal x-ray, then CT with barium and IV contrast. My white count is low. I had a horrible urinary tract infection (UTI) and didn"t even realize it until I had blood in my urine. I took Cipro for 5 days, after all of this has already begun. I did a stool sample and more blood work yesterday - C. difficile. I still have low white count, also high alkaline phosphatase for weeks. I started Flagyl today. Thank goodness for anti-nausea and pain medications. I haven"t been in hospital for 3 years except EGD and colonoscopy last fall. I almost never take antibiotics. This is weird.

Comment from: Benson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was taking antibiotics for a bladder infection, then the second day of treatment I started getting rare symptoms. I decided to ask the pharmacist if it was normal and he told me it was. I waited 4 days after I was done taking my pills and decided to just head straight to the hospital as it started to get worse, they took a stool sample and I had to wait another day for results. So I was going pretty much 11 to 13 days with this clostridium difficile growing.

Comment from: scaredprof, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I took a stool test to indicate the diagnosis of C. difficile.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?