Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: Gorzquinn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

While recovering from torn distal bicep surgery, I noted the initial signs and symptoms four to five weeks post-surgery. The adjustable elbow brace I wore for a two months 24/7 I believe created the problem (carpal tunnel syndrome). This brace is designed to support and restrict, and adjusted over a period of time so the arm and elbow can return to normal function. During my recovery, the focus is on repaired torn distal bicep, the brace is designed to limit and restrict movement. It is here the 4 straps of this device are applying pressure to your upper and lower. The amount of tension applied to these straps create a force of pressure and over a period of time will cause problems like mine. Therefore, the use of the adjustable elbow brace should be reviewed.

Comment from: Mary8479, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had been on various antibiotics for chronic urinary tract infections for over a year. I went to a urologist and she prescribed me Keflex for 3 months. I was on it only for 6 days when I started feeling like I had the flu. It was during flu season. I thought I just needed to give it time. I kept getting worse. I couldn't eat anything and I was living in the bathroom, also with nausea so bad I wanted to kill myself. I finally called the doctor and the nurse told me to go immediately to the emergency room. I was so dehydrated that my kidneys were failing. They admitted me because I was so sick and they already suspected Clostridium difficile. The test came out positive. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I got it again 2 months later. It was 5 or 6 months before I felt normal.

Comment from: Dixie_Darlin, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 25

My mother came down with a fever and diarrhea, so I told her to make sure she's drinking plenty and taking something for fever. She has many other health problems, biggest ones Parkinson's disease and stage 4 emphysema. She had forever been on Cipro antibiotics for problems with her kidneys. At any rate, she called and was on the floor, I rushed and tried to get her up, but she could not help me. I called 911 and to the hospital she went. She was diagnosed with Clostridium difficile. After three days we came home, and she took Flagyl for two weeks. She seemed fine. I took her for her follow-up a week later, and the doctor said she was good. Five days later, I went to my Mom's and found she had passed away. I suspect the C. difficile but with other health issues, that can't be sure. Just please be careful. I miss my mother.

Comment from: oklagramma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

My clostridium difficile colitis was diagnosed by stool culture. I thought it would clear up on its own and waited too long to have it done (10 days or so). The doctor immediately suspected C. difficile since I had been on Cipro for a urinary tract infection, but it took 2 days to get a clear urine sample with no Cipro present and he made me wait another 3 days for cultures to return positive. I saw a gastroenterologist today who was appalled that I wasn't treated while waiting for the culture as my symptoms were extremely severe: 15 episodes a day and fever over 101.

Comment from: Randy, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 04

My son has had decades of ear infections and thus put on antibiotics. This year he's had two ear infections. Now because of that, after a stool test they found clostridium difficile colitis. He had most of the major symptoms listed for C. difficile, fever, stomach pain, blood in stool and diarrhea. For whatever reason he's didn't do well on the medications for C. difficile. Side effects were worse than the C. difficile. After research we found a probiotic called saccharomyces boulardii. It goes directly to the intestines and fights C. difficile. After 1 1/2 weeks the stomach pain is 80 percent gone and diarrhea and blood is 90 percent gone. He has a very bad case and it's going to take more time but I can see better results than with medications. He still has a very low grade temperature of 99.1 to 99.7 which tells me it's not over yet. We are following up with doctors and may see a gastroenterologist soon for more options. From people I've talked to and doctors, C. difficile is very hard to get rid of and at least in my case it will be months to years to get his body back to normal after the antibiotic treatments he's had. Hope this helps someone else.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?