Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: starnight, Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I'm 31 years old had a C section in May and had a fever. I was given antibiotics because the doctor feared my incision was getting infected. After a month of awful diarrhea and stomach cramps I was diagnosed with C. diff after a bowel test. I was very, very depressed! They put me on Flagyl which caused some nerve damage I felt tingling and dumbness on my right thumb. I was so weak I could barely take care of my newborn baby. I had to stop breastfeeding because of the antibiotics which made my baby suffer so much. I cried a few times because I felt so helpless and was home alone with a newborn. After stopping Flagyl I relapsed and was given me Vancomycin with Florastor. It has been 3 months and I'm still battling with this, I have prayed so much, I want to be healthy to take care of my baby. I really resent this hospital, my heart goes out to all who suffer from this.

Comment from: Lucy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My 91-year-old mother had total knee replacement in October, and when I brought her home, she had c-diff. She went on antibiotics, and when they were finished after four days, it starts all over again. She was dehydrated from the throwing up and not eating. She is now on reflux pills and on antibiotics continuously. I told the doctor that I give her one antibiotic pill a day, and it seems to keep everything under control. He said he never heard of that, but it works for her.

Comment from: YY, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I've just been diagnosed with this Clostridium Difficile Colitis, and I've had a great doctor who already did several lab tests. He prescribed me an antibiotic called Metrogyl. He also told me to eat yogurts because they promote the “good” bacteria.

Comment from: Kitkat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had an infected hematoma following my hysterectomy that my hospital failed to address. They told me it would disperse spontaneously. Unfortunately it did not. When I was seen five months later and they evacuated the 'cyst,' they discovered it was an abscess full of deadly bacteria and put me on 18 antibiotics a day to kill them. I became unwell and discovered I had C. difficile. I was put into a side ward and left there for 26 days in isolation. The room was unclean and my C. diff was treated with hospital 'domestos' antibiotics. I had C. diff for 10 days or more and although the biopsies show I do not have colitis, the sigmoid sometime ago did. I still have severe relapses of colitic symptoms and am struggling to rebuild my life. I trusted my instincts that something was wrong, but my general practitioner told me to get back to work and be normal. I managed one day and was exhausted. The hospital told me I should not be depressed and could not understand why I had become so. My advice is to trust your instincts as you know your body better than anyone else. C diff. has wrecked my life, and I blame the hospital!

Comment from: cbyrne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was given Clindamycin prophylactically for a dental procedure and developed C. difficile a few days afterward. My internist quickly diagnosed C. difficile and put me on Flagyl, which has helped somewhat, but weeks later I'm still not back to normal. A friend recommended probiotics, and I'm going to try that next. From the comments here and my friend's testimony (she had a severe case), that sounds like the best thing to do.

Comment from: Bokonon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

The best way to fight c. diff colitis is to take probiotics. This addresses the core cause of the infection, which is that antibiotics wiped out the good bacteria that protect us from the bad bacteria and allowed this nasty bugger to get a foothold. Restore the good bacteria and it will get rid of the bad bacteria. And generally, probiotics don't have ill side effects. It worked for me.

Published: June 25

My 4 month old granddaughter (preemie 30 weeks) has been on a lot of antibiotics and Axid for reflux. She has had blood in her stools since her d/c from hospital 1 week after mother's day. No one seems to be worried but me. The stools were cultured and normal results. Pediatrician said if persists we will test for c.diff. What is the treatment for an infant with c.diff. When will someone do something? My poor baby has had such a miserable life so far. Many belly aches, wheezing, cough, pneumonia, loose stools with blood, red butt, gassy, crys a lot.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?