Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: sheila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was on antibiotics and got c-diff, I suffered for about a month before being diagnosed. Terrible pain, running to the bathroom night and day, brutal! I got antibiotics for the c-diff which gave me thrush = more antibiotics and then a systemic yeast infection. Although it is 8 months after c-diff, and I have just had a negative yeast test, I know that I still have the systemic yeast as my tongue is white and my bowels are still loose, not diarrhea, I go just once a day, but loose. I don't know what to do. I think that this loose stool dilemma is making it so that I am not getting nutrients from my diet as I have low iron at 11 and have many other health problems since this c-diff and yeast infection.

Comment from: jdmcc44, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have Crohn's Disease and when I ended up in the hospital with severe abdominal pain and diarrhea thinking I was having an exacerbation of the disease, tests were done. As my CT did not show Crohn's inflammation, they decided to do some stool tests which confirmed I had C-diff. Very painful and unpleasant for me.

Comment from: Kathleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis, I wasn't on any antibiotics and I not only suffered severe stomach pain and diarrhea but I also was vomiting so severely for 6 to 8 hours and called 911 to take me to ER. They took a stool sample and it was positive. My question is did anyone else have more then only pain and diarrhea? I haven't seen the vomiting in any symptoms.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 01

Symptoms continued after leaving hospital. I also was treated for diarrhea and upper L abdominal pain during the summer of 2010, with Flagyl as my medication. Never felt quite the same after that bout. I had bloody discharge 2 weeks ago and was admitted to the hospital at that time. After discharge a stool sample was examined and came up with the diagnosis. I am now again on the Flagyl and hopefully it will do the job.

Comment from: Sick and Tired, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I was given clyndamicin by my dentist for a tooth infection. A few days after finishing the antibiotic I did not feel well and it took another 3 weeks before I was diagnosed with C Diff. I had a high fever, ached all over, had terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea. Like many others I could not tolerate Flagyl so ended up taking Vancocin. One week after finishing it came back. I then was given another weeks supply and it has not returned. I finished the Vanco 8 weeks ago and am still not able to eat many foods. I am so limited in what I can digest and still have stomach cramps and occasional diarrhea. I have found that taking probiotics and have found that Saccharomyces boulardii is the best on for C Diff. I work with a naturopath who has been invaluable in helping me feel better. I am taking vitamins and minerals and going for IV therapy with the naturopath to help my body get the nourishment it needs. I found the allopathic doctors don't know or understand the importance of the flora in the gut and how it affects our total health. My advice to anyone with C Diff is to get a Naturopath.

Comment from: SickofC-Dif, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My daughter was very ill nearly ten years ago following a course of Amoxycillin. She had a high fever and severe loose stools. She was diagnosed with C-Dif and had her transverse colon surgically removed resulting in a Colostomy (later reversed). She had 16 surgical procedures in a matter of four months - she was 11 years old when all of this started. She was diagnosed with chronic Recurring C-Dif Induced Pseudomembraneous Colitis. Her last hospitalization was two years ago, but she needs to be cognizant of her health all of the time.

Comment from: lasat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was diagnosed in the ER when I went in with signs of neutropenia, diarrhea, after my third chemo treatment. I had x-rays and a CT scan for my chest.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?