Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: exhausted, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

Went to the hospital with severe pain diarrhea and vomiting. diagnosed with an intestinal blockage due to c diff have been back to the hospital several times since with blockages in my small intestine which the doctors say are caused from the c diff all except for about five inches of my colon had to be removed but it did not help getting rid of the c diff. been on vanco for the past 8 months and still testing positive and having bloody loose stools and severe pain. Tired and woren out.

Comment from: Betty from Missouri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

2011- I was diagnosed with C-diff and I am talking the medicine to get rid of this awful bacteria. I have also gone to a natural doctor and she gave me silver shield with sol technology and this helped me dramatically. I am also taking probiotic three times a day. I will finish this week the Metroniadazole and I will be tested again. I will let you know how I am doing and if this worked.

Comment from: dollymama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

The first time was through a fecal sample. The second time was through a colonoscopy after the fecal sample came up negative. This second bout left me in diapers - and barely keeping clean even with their use. In a matter of days my stool was non-existent. I was leaking green-bile-colored fluid and had an absence of stool. Flagyl never worked for me, vancocyn did, quite thankfully! I am now battling again, for a 4th time - and taking florastor. I am much better than in previous cases - so very thankfully! My immune system is awful - so I don't produce antibodies to infections well at all. I haven't taken antibiotics for over 2 years (had TWO surgeries without them) and am still struggling. I am hopeful for new treatments for this painful problem!

Comment from: Meg, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I was very careful around a sick friend who had symptoms of c. diff, among other things. It was not until she was in the hospital for 3 days with terrible diarrhea that a caution sign was put on her room door. I stepped the precautions up but it was probably too late because I got sick a couple of weeks later although I always showered after visiting and used a bleach solution to clean. I ended up in an emergency care facility with IV fluids and was discharged with Flagyl. A week later I still feel bad and may have to take a second course of the antibiotic. I am also the primary caregiver for my mother who is almost 90 and I have to be careful to not infect her. I think that patients with this need to be educated (if possible) and isolated so they don't make others sick. I have never had this before and I am losing days to being tired and in the bathroom all the time. I have also lost 12 lbs. and I was already a size 6.

Comment from: sheila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was on antibiotics and got c-diff, I suffered for about a month before being diagnosed. Terrible pain, running to the bathroom night and day, brutal! I got antibiotics for the c-diff which gave me thrush = more antibiotics and then a systemic yeast infection. Although it is 8 months after c-diff, and I have just had a negative yeast test, I know that I still have the systemic yeast as my tongue is white and my bowels are still loose, not diarrhea, I go just once a day, but loose. I don't know what to do. I think that this loose stool dilemma is making it so that I am not getting nutrients from my diet as I have low iron at 11 and have many other health problems since this c-diff and yeast infection.

Comment from: jdmcc44, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have Crohn's Disease and when I ended up in the hospital with severe abdominal pain and diarrhea thinking I was having an exacerbation of the disease, tests were done. As my CT did not show Crohn's inflammation, they decided to do some stool tests which confirmed I had C-diff. Very painful and unpleasant for me.

Comment from: Kathleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis, I wasn't on any antibiotics and I not only suffered severe stomach pain and diarrhea but I also was vomiting so severely for 6 to 8 hours and called 911 to take me to ER. They took a stool sample and it was positive. My question is did anyone else have more then only pain and diarrhea? I haven't seen the vomiting in any symptoms.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?