Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: YY, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I've just been diagnosed with this Clostridium Difficile Colitis, and I've had a great doctor who already did several lab tests. He prescribed me an antibiotic called Metrogyl. He also told me to eat yogurts because they promote the “good” bacteria.

Comment from: Kitkat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had an infected hematoma following my hysterectomy that my hospital failed to address. They told me it would disperse spontaneously. Unfortunately it did not. When I was seen five months later and they evacuated the 'cyst,' they discovered it was an abscess full of deadly bacteria and put me on 18 antibiotics a day to kill them. I became unwell and discovered I had C. difficile. I was put into a side ward and left there for 26 days in isolation. The room was unclean and my C. diff was treated with hospital 'domestos' antibiotics. I had C. diff for 10 days or more and although the biopsies show I do not have colitis, the sigmoid sometime ago did. I still have severe relapses of colitic symptoms and am struggling to rebuild my life. I trusted my instincts that something was wrong, but my general practitioner told me to get back to work and be normal. I managed one day and was exhausted. The hospital told me I should not be depressed and could not understand why I had become so. My advice is to trust your instincts as you know your body better than anyone else. C diff. has wrecked my life, and I blame the hospital!

Comment from: cbyrne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was given Clindamycin prophylactically for a dental procedure and developed C. difficile a few days afterward. My internist quickly diagnosed C. difficile and put me on Flagyl, which has helped somewhat, but weeks later I'm still not back to normal. A friend recommended probiotics, and I'm going to try that next. From the comments here and my friend's testimony (she had a severe case), that sounds like the best thing to do.

Comment from: Bokonon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

The best way to fight c. diff colitis is to take probiotics. This addresses the core cause of the infection, which is that antibiotics wiped out the good bacteria that protect us from the bad bacteria and allowed this nasty bugger to get a foothold. Restore the good bacteria and it will get rid of the bad bacteria. And generally, probiotics don't have ill side effects. It worked for me.

Published: June 25

My 4 month old granddaughter (preemie 30 weeks) has been on a lot of antibiotics and Axid for reflux. She has had blood in her stools since her d/c from hospital 1 week after mother's day. No one seems to be worried but me. The stools were cultured and normal results. Pediatrician said if persists we will test for c.diff. What is the treatment for an infant with c.diff. When will someone do something? My poor baby has had such a miserable life so far. Many belly aches, wheezing, cough, pneumonia, loose stools with blood, red butt, gassy, crys a lot.

Published: June 10

After three years of relapses of Clostridium Difficile Colitis, I started pro biotics -- Flora Q and Florastor each twice daily. I have been free of Clostridium Difficile Colitis for 2 years now, and no more vancomycin!

Published: June 09

My 80 year old Mother is on her second bout of Clostridium Difficile, her first being approximately 1 1/2 months ago. She was originally started on the Flagyl, but after several days of being on that particular antibiotic, she developed severe diarrhea and nausea. The Doctor then put her on the Vancomycin. Her Humana drug coverage picked up most of the cost of it ($900) and she only had to pay $300, which was still a hardship on her fixed income. With this current bout of the C-Diff however, she has opted for the Flagyl, since her Humana drug coverage is no longer in effect meaning she would have to come up with the $1200 cash to eradicate this despicable virus. She is once again experiencing the severe diarrhea and nausea. I do not know what to do now. Should I take her into the ER and let them decide what might be best? Her Doctor wants her back on the Vancomycin, but we are at a loss as to where to come up with that kind of money.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?