Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: Jackie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

The patient is in hospital with cancer, was given chemotherapy and is on dialysis due to only one kidney and now has clostridium difficile colitis.

Comment from: Hopeless, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was on an antibiotic for 10 days and had diarrhea the whole time and just sent in a stool sample which will take a week to ten days for results.

Comment from: laser_doc, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I was having severe diarrhea 25 times/day and through the night over a month ago. The doctor gave me Cipro and took stool samples. After the 3rd day of Cipro, I was 100% ok but I finished the 10 day course. I was 100% recovered for a week, then sudden diarrhea again 30 times/day/night. The doctor thinks it may be C difficile. I was given Flagyl 500mg 3 times/day for 7 days. The stool sample for C difficile was taken. But it's been 4 days and the lab is so slow to get results. Taking the Flagyl is making me very dizzy, and foggy. I'm afraid to stop though, but at same time have to work and take care of my daughter.

Comment from: love2ride, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have been diagnosed with c.diff. After taking antibiotic Clindamycin for my wisdom teeth surgery. When I stopped taking this antibiotics I start having mucus in my stool with little blood and diarrhea. I was very dehydrated. I went to my doctor. She immediately take a stool sample. That came back positive for blood in the stool but no c.diff. Week later I called my dentist. He did make clinical diagnosis that it must be c.diff. I went back to my regular doctor and give her another stool sample. This time it came back positive for c.diff. I'm currently taking Flagyl. 500 mg three times a day. I got them for 14 days. I'm on my day four and do far its little better but still having yellow weird looking diarrhea isn't fun at all. I also start taking florastor with this antibiotics. I'm tired, my stomach is upset and I'm having headache. I'm hoping for the best.

Comment from: bj, 65-74 Female Published: March 08

My aunt of 60 years old died of Clostridium difficile colitis. She was given several antibiotics for what the doctors diagnosed her for, which was cellulitis. She stayed in hospital for two weeks, then nursing home for two weeks rehabilitation, where the infection started due to nursing home negligence. Thereafter she was taken to another hospital where they did surgery and took out her whole colon and she never woke up.

Comment from: Desperate Mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 29

My 18 year old daughter has been fighting this for 5 months. She has gone to the ER at least 30 times. Been to 4 different hospitals and during these visits she had her appendix taken out (which now I don't believe she needed), was admitted to the hospital for 6 days and numerous visits to our family doctor. In all that time no one did a stool sample! Her last ER visit a stool sample was ordered and sure enough she is diagnosed with clostridium difficile. The only difference is her problem was vomiting. And I mean constantly. She worked in a nursing home just before she got it and got so sick she had to quit. This has been life changing for our whole family.

Comment from: thc, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 27

My 70 year old mother was diagnosed with C diff after spending 2 days being very sick with diarrhea and 103 fever at my house. They figured it out when we told them she had taken an antibiotic the prior 2 weeks for an ear problem. My dad is in a nursing home and she goes to visit him 3 times a day. I am sure that is where she picked it up. She is on her second night at the hospital and is improving greatly. I am worried though about myself and my family. When she was at my house, I was cleaning up after her explosive diarrhea. Is my house now contaminated? How do I make sure that there are no traces of it? Should I be scared to take antibiotics now that I have been exposed and it could be present in my house? Should my mother continue to take probiotics daily? Should me and my family take them as a preventative?

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?