Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: Lorilynn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am (was) a healthy 41 year old who entered the hospital to have a baby. As I am a group B strep carrier, and I had a fever of unknown origin in labor, I was treated with clindamycin during labor. The time of antibiotic treatment was 48 hours (not what I would consider long term). Two weeks later, my around-the-clock diarrhea began. When a course of Flagyl did not work, I was given 10 days of vancomycin, which I took along with a probiotic and yogurt. Less than one week after completion of that, my symptoms returned. I had a colonoscopy today that showed difficile colitis and we are waiting for the most recent set of cultures to come back. This is incredibly frustrating. It affects every aspect of daily living. This has worn me out both physically and emotionally and it's "only" been six weeks. I cannot imagine how people live long-term like this.

Comment from: Ides, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had c.Diff 10 years ago but I can remember it as if it were yesterday - it was the worst thing I ever went through. It took me 4 months to recover. I had been in the hospital having surgery and then 3 months later I developed an infection on my face and the doctor gave me an antibiotic and it ended up killing the good and bad bacteria in my colon. It took awhile to diagnose and then the treatment started. I had to take 3 types of antibiotics including Flagyl which is the worst antibiotic ever and finally Vancocin killed it. Thank God for health coverage because it was so expensive. I was scared for months after that it would return but it never has. I also took probiotics and I believe that helped.

Comment from: r'sdaughter, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 16

My father is currently in ICU after several weeks of misdiagnosis of c. Diff. Because it was missed by several doctors and a previous hosp stay, he has lost his colon in an emergency surgery a week ago. At 74 he'll now have to wear an ostomy bag for the rest of his life. We still can't get answers and or info about the future except from on line like this that we're in for more bouts - is that possible with the colon removed? Where else can c. Diff attack? I've persuaded my mom to finally call in an infectious disease specialist to evaluate his care. They think he's ready to move out of ICU and we are waiting for a room to become avail - with another c. Diff patient! Does that sound right? keep it around him! We believe he picked it up from yet another hospital in July when he had a stent put in. I can't imagine what is next for him. Get help and stay aggressive in wanting more help, your life is depending on it.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was put on antibiotics for a sinus infection (Augmentin 800) and got diarrhea a few days later. The diarrhea never fully went away and after a couple of months, my stool became airy, small and floaty. I felt like I always had to go but when I did very little would come out. It kept me up several nights with feeling constipated but then not being able to go only a little bit. The doctor put me on Flagyl and flora-q. After 3-4 days of that, I still was not getting better and started running a low grade fever off and on and had all over belly cramps. I did get better for a few days and then the diarrhea came back full force as soon as I stopped the Flagyl. A colonoscopy was ordered and my entire colon was filled with pseudomembranous colitis (yellow looking patches). The doctor ordered Vancocin which cost me 300.00 after insurance paid 900.00. I have been on it for a week and my bowels are starting to get more normal. This was an expensive illness in a usually young healthy woman!

Comment from: Sick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was diagnosed with C. diff, and no one knows how I got it. I have had one 10-day course of Vancocin. I still have diarrhea, cramps, and I can't eat. I have no energy. I am taking culturelle, which is a probiotic and I still have no energy. Even sitting takes too much.

Comment from: Hua Kul, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 19

My wife picked up c. diff. while in the hospital for pneumonia. It's a long story, but she had 3 bouts of it. It's been 28 days since her last vancomycin capsule and so far so good. On the last day of her medication I started giving her calcium disodium EDTA because I found a study that showed it neutralized toxins from Clostridium perfringens (gangrene) and I thought perhaps it would do the same for C. diff. The first couple of weeks that she was taking it she had no diarrhea, but her stool would occasionally have the cdiff smell. For the past couple of weeks no smell and now in the last 4-5 days the stool is well formed and no longer soft (sorry to be so graphic). I am giving her four capsules per day (total 1g calcium disodium EDTA, 1.2g malic acid, and 400mg garlic). I would love to know if this is what is working for her because it is so cheap and safe but there is no way I will withhold it just to find out.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?