Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: Jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

At age 48 I was given an antibiotic (Augmentin) for a sinus infection that began my nightmare. I became extremely ill, to the point I was bed ridden from sheer exhaustion because of C Diff Toxins. I was given many doses of Flagyl and Vancocin and neither of these meds worked. I kept relapsing with C Diff for almost 2 years. Finally I got the courage to go to see a doctor who administered a "stool infusion" to get rid of this nasty bug. The procedure worked for me. It has been a little over 2 months now and I have no signs of C Diff and my test results proved negative for the toxins. Of course, I am now very concerned that I could acquire this again because of how many relapses I have had so, for me no antibiotics is a "must" for the rest of my life.

Comment from: ynkeslb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with C-Diff, have had all the recommended prescription treatments, 3 of Vancomycin, my energy level and social life is nil, I must stay near a bathroom all the time. I am now followed by Infectious Disease Control. I have tried the probiotics Lactobacillus Acidophilus, but no improvement. I am now to the point of not eating, just living on Gatorade. I see the doc in a few days. This caused me to seek mental health and with the help of a psychologist and a counselor I have mentally improved, but physically have lost 27lbs, don't get to eat out anymore, have to fast 24 hours before going anywhere like doctor appointments, or grocery shopping. I have had 2 ER visits, one that resulted in hospitalization for dehydration.

Comment from: tgil, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 13

I have an 11 month old who has been diagnosed with C-diff. She has only been on Amoxicillin to treat a UTI, it did not work so she was given a Rocephin injection. That was in July. She was ten put on Cefzil, for a throat infection in September of the same year. Only to find out that after 4 days of antibiotics, severe diarrhea started (12-15) loose stools per day. Her bottom is raw with open sores, and screams when it is time for diaper to be changed. She was put on Flagyl for 10 days, symptoms became better for 2 days, only to return on 3rd day. It is now Oct 31, 08, and she is currently on Vancomycin. We have went to ER, twice only to be sent home, and told there's no need to worry, it will eventually go away. She is very miserable, running low grade fevers about (100.5), and her bottom end doesn't have very much skin left on it.

Comment from: SuperMama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My heart goes out to all of you who have had C. Diff! My grandfather just got out of the hospital from it after being there for a month. After all the tests they could come up with (yes, he has good insurance, thank God!) they decided it was C. Diff. and put him on an antibiotic which only made it worse. After a few weeks of suffering, he then trusted me enough to try probiotics. He's old-school and thinks doctors are infallible. Which I'm thankful for doctors, but you must also keep yourself informed and protected against doctors that possibly mean well but don't know how to help or won't because they're getting backed by big pharmaceutical companies. Anyway long story short, only after taking a refrigerated, liquid probiotics that I brought him every day, did he start to improve (rather quickly too). I used the brand Bio K Plus but there are other brands out there that work like Udo's Choice or PB8. Also, not all yogurt's will be helpful most have sugar or are pasteurized. I like Stone field Farms, plain with added banana chunks/honey. In a pinch, drink sauerkraut juice or Kefir. These are probiotics. Sounds crazy I know but it works! And when you're better, keep taking a minimal dose of probiotics to keep from getting any bugs again!

Comment from: Lorilynn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am (was) a healthy 41 year old who entered the hospital to have a baby. As I am a group B strep carrier, and I had a fever of unknown origin in labor, I was treated with clindamycin during labor. The time of antibiotic treatment was 48 hours (not what I would consider long term). Two weeks later, my around-the-clock diarrhea began. When a course of Flagyl did not work, I was given 10 days of vancomycin, which I took along with a probiotic and yogurt. Less than one week after completion of that, my symptoms returned. I had a colonoscopy today that showed difficile colitis and we are waiting for the most recent set of cultures to come back. This is incredibly frustrating. It affects every aspect of daily living. This has worn me out both physically and emotionally and it's "only" been six weeks. I cannot imagine how people live long-term like this.

Comment from: Ides, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had c.Diff 10 years ago but I can remember it as if it were yesterday - it was the worst thing I ever went through. It took me 4 months to recover. I had been in the hospital having surgery and then 3 months later I developed an infection on my face and the doctor gave me an antibiotic and it ended up killing the good and bad bacteria in my colon. It took awhile to diagnose and then the treatment started. I had to take 3 types of antibiotics including Flagyl which is the worst antibiotic ever and finally Vancocin killed it. Thank God for health coverage because it was so expensive. I was scared for months after that it would return but it never has. I also took probiotics and I believe that helped.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?