Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had a routine colonoscopy with continued diarrhea after the procedure. Originally I thought it was because I was required to do 2 preps before the procedure. After 1 week I called the doctor who sent me to the lab with stool sample. Now I'm on antibiotics with clostridium difficile bacterial infection.

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had 5 episodes of sepsis with a Klebsiella infection in the past 8 years. I was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis recently after another episode and was told it was due to the amount of antibiotics I have taken. I am due to have a colonoscopy this week, so I hope I get some resolution.

Comment from: Briteeyes601, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

My clostridium difficile colitis was diagnosed after having a colonoscopy because of severe diarrhea with blood. By the time it was diagnosed I had developed orthostatic hypertension because of severe dehydration. I came home from hospital in a wheelchair. I spent 3 months in hospital followed by weeks of physical and occupational therapy. This disease is serious and patients and families need to be well educated. Unfortunately for me I no longer have any healthy bacteria to help fight off infections. I'm not sure how I will be treated this go round.

Comment from: AKAY, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I have been on several antibiotics the past three years straight for acne (Bactrim, amoxicillin, etc.) I started amoxicillin and a week after that I got an ear infection, so they put me on clindamycin for 10 days. I went back to taking amoxicillin after that for a week, had a bad yeast infection, got medications for that, went back to taking amoxicillin for a week and then ended up with diarrhea for about a week (blood and pus in stool). Finally on Christmas day I couldn't handle it. I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis. I took 10 days of Flagyl, after about 3 days of finishing it, I started having diarrhea again, I went to doctor and they gave me another 14 days of Flagyl. I hope this works. I am guessing it was the clindamycin that did it. I am wondering if everything will eventually go back to normal or should I go back for stool sample after I am done. This was so awful I do not want it again.

Comment from: kukky, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My clostridium difficile colitis was diagnosed by stool specimen and CT scan.

Comment from: clara, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I"m a 25 year old girl. I took Augmentin Plus for tonsillitis infection and 2 days after this treatment was over I experienced bad diarrhea. Two weeks later I went to the emergency room due to that cause and I was hospitalized. After many routine tests they sent me home. Five days later I went back to the hospital because the symptoms of C difficile colitis hadn't improved but got worse. They put me on Flagyl for 14 days and 4 days after the treatment has been over I have diarrhea again. I don't know what to expect and I only hope things go for the better soon.

Comment from: Cely, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

A stool sample test confirmed the diagnosis of C. dif. Shortly before Christmas 2011, I was prescribed Clindamycin before a tooth extraction. I was later told by two doctors that this was not medically necessary. Within a few days, I started having diarrhea which cleared up for several days, and then returned with a vengeance. I was in the bathroom 15 to 20 times a day, with some bleeding and mucous. I take vitamins on a regular basis and started loading up on the C and D, both said to be good for the immune system. There was very slow, slight improvement. When I finally went to my doctor in mid January, she ordered a stool sample and that was when the diagnosis of C. dif was made. I was immediately started on a ten-day course of Flagyl which made me feel much worse than the C. dif. I knew I had to stick with it after reading about all the horrible things that could happen with C. dif. After a second stool test, I was pronounced well, but things were not quite right. I don't know how to describe my issues, but I was "off". After a little over three months, I read about SACCHAROMYCES BOULARDII in this blog and immediately started taking it. Within about a week, I could see a difference. I have now been taking it for about three weeks and feel I am back to normal. A big "Thank You" to all those who posted information on this probiotic that I had never heard of.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?