Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: akasha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had been having really bad cramps and feeling really ill. I went to my doctor and they told me I had cryptosporidium. The pain and fatigue just got worse and worse, so I went to an infectious disease specialist and she found out I had Clostridium difficile colitis.

Comment from: carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been taking Prilosec for over 20 years now. I think it made me susceptible to Clostridium difficile colitis. I have been trying to get off this medicine for years now, the blow back is terrible and I end up taking it for relief. I think I got C. difficile diagnosed from a colonoscopy (I have had three in the past few years).

Comment from: kimberly sue ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

After starting amoxicillin for acne, I began suffering with severe cramps and diarrhea, unable to keep liquids or food in for over 3 weeks. I went to the doctor and she ordered several stool specimens which showed that I have C. difficile. I have been started on Flagyl and hope this clears this up.

Comment from: elainew, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I went into the emergency room for unrelated pain and was given antibiotics by IV for a urinary infection. I honestly don't think I had an infection, and the staff did not explain to me the risks of taking antibiotics. I was prescribed amoxicillin tablets and the day after I started taking them I had diarrhea. I stopped taking it, and a few days later I had loose stool diarrhea 2 to 3 times a day. At first I just thought it was an improvement on the previous diarrhea side effects, but it continued for several days with no improvement. I had a stool test and it came back positive for C. difficile. However, I started feeling better at that time, and asked to wait before trying another antibiotic like Flagyl. I never had severe symptoms, not even cramping. I very much hope no symptoms return and I can be done with this. After reading other people's experiences I will try probiotics if I have trouble again.

Comment from: Grammy51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I was diagnosed with Clostridium difficile colitis after 7 hours in an emergency room (ER) when I finally saw a doctor who ran a stool culture from the specimen I took with me. I had terrible pain in the back and bloody mucus in diarrhea. They sent me home with nothing and called next morning to say the culture was positive for C. difficile and prescribed another antibiotic. I had been prescribed clindamycin for a sinus infection and the stomach pain from this drug was instant and terrible so I blame it directly. I now take probiotics daily and will never take clindamycin again!

Comment from: No pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I have been diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis after having just a minor bout of loose bowels and blood in my stool 1 time. I went in for a colonoscopy. They took a stool sample and diagnosed me with C. difficile. I have been taking the medication for 2 weeks now, never had watery bowels except for 1 day. The only problem I have is I seem to leak fecal matter, not always but sometimes and then I cannot seem to be able to clean myself well. I have been on trimethoprim as a maintenance antibiotic for 25 years. I wonder if this could be the cause of my mild symptoms.

Comment from: maryam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Positive AG and toxin: presence of toxigenic Clostridium difficile strain by PCR test - that was my stool result. I was having diarrhea more than 12 times per day, abdominal pain, fever 40°C, as well as fainting and nausea. I was admitted in the hospital for a week and were given many antibiotics including Flagyl. The doctor said that the main reason is antibiotics, especially Augmentin and amoxicillin. Now my result is negative.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?