Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?

Comment from: AKAY, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I have been on several antibiotics the past three years straight for acne (Bactrim, amoxicillin, etc.) I started amoxicillin and a week after that I got an ear infection, so they put me on clindamycin for 10 days. I went back to taking amoxicillin after that for a week, had a bad yeast infection, got medications for that, went back to taking amoxicillin for a week and then ended up with diarrhea for about a week (blood and pus in stool). Finally on Christmas day I couldn't handle it. I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis. I took 10 days of Flagyl, after about 3 days of finishing it, I started having diarrhea again, I went to doctor and they gave me another 14 days of Flagyl. I hope this works. I am guessing it was the clindamycin that did it. I am wondering if everything will eventually go back to normal or should I go back for stool sample after I am done. This was so awful I do not want it again.

Comment from: kukky, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My clostridium difficile colitis was diagnosed by stool specimen and CT scan.

Comment from: clara, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I"m a 25 year old girl. I took Augmentin Plus for tonsillitis infection and 2 days after this treatment was over I experienced bad diarrhea. Two weeks later I went to the emergency room due to that cause and I was hospitalized. After many routine tests they sent me home. Five days later I went back to the hospital because the symptoms of C difficile colitis hadn't improved but got worse. They put me on Flagyl for 14 days and 4 days after the treatment has been over I have diarrhea again. I don't know what to expect and I only hope things go for the better soon.

Comment from: Cely, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

A stool sample test confirmed the diagnosis of C. dif. Shortly before Christmas 2011, I was prescribed Clindamycin before a tooth extraction. I was later told by two doctors that this was not medically necessary. Within a few days, I started having diarrhea which cleared up for several days, and then returned with a vengeance. I was in the bathroom 15 to 20 times a day, with some bleeding and mucous. I take vitamins on a regular basis and started loading up on the C and D, both said to be good for the immune system. There was very slow, slight improvement. When I finally went to my doctor in mid January, she ordered a stool sample and that was when the diagnosis of C. dif was made. I was immediately started on a ten-day course of Flagyl which made me feel much worse than the C. dif. I knew I had to stick with it after reading about all the horrible things that could happen with C. dif. After a second stool test, I was pronounced well, but things were not quite right. I don't know how to describe my issues, but I was "off". After a little over three months, I read about SACCHAROMYCES BOULARDII in this blog and immediately started taking it. Within about a week, I could see a difference. I have now been taking it for about three weeks and feel I am back to normal. A big "Thank You" to all those who posted information on this probiotic that I had never heard of.

Comment from: Sidney'smommy, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 14

Well, you fail to inform in any of this that C-Diff has a FOUL smelling watery/yellow stool. It can also be mucous filled. My 1 year old is in the hospital going on a week for having C-Diff. His stool was tested, rectal specimen, and has had several blood tests run.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I have Crohn's disease and thought I was experiencing a flare. My symptoms were stomach pain, loose stool, and headaches. I had the upper and lower GI and tested pos for C diff. I just started flagyl. Background: I have had numerous infections related to my teeth and finally had surgery on my upper jaw in June to remove infection from the bone...I have probably had 6 rounds of antibiotics over the past year including clindamycin and ceflex. I guess the last round did me in.

Comment from: In recovery C DIFF, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

From a stool sample I had taken in hospital and routine blood tests they identified a protein marker in my blood that was supposed to be at 5 but it was up to 200 which c diff can cause. I was originally in for a head injury so they assumed I had meningitis or a spinal brain inflammation/infection but thankfully it wasn't. I was quarantined in the acute ward with red flags everywhere and people in full protective gear this stuff is contagious so if you know someone who has it stay away from them as it is particularly difficult to get rid of.

C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?