Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?

Comment from: Breko, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I developed C difficile over five years ago after a routine surgery. It took a couple of years to get the proper test that came back positive. During that time, I suffered gastro intestinal symptoms and feeling of illness with great fatigue. I have recurring C difficile and have been treated multiple times with Flagyl until I was sent to an infectious disease physician who prescribed vancomycin tapered dose which really helped. I have relapsed four times this past two years. I just finished a 10 day treatment of Dificid. I am also taking SB and Flora Q probiotics which seem to help. My quality of life has suffered, my doctor will send me for a stool transplant if I relapse again. I have managed to keep up with working and hope this nightmare is over soon. I am 48 years old. I noticed improvement when I restricted all dairy. I am lactose intolerant anyway. Some SB have lactose in the formula. I finally found one that was lactose free. I think the stool transplant should be offered earlier.

C. Difficile - Diagnosis Question: How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?
C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?