Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it

Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?

Comment from: JustJane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was on levofloxacin, for a severe sinus infection. I had two 10 day protocols before a surgery to implant a pain pump. The day I entered the hospital for surgery I realized, when I was weighed, I had lost 9 lb. in the 10 days before surgery. I had surgery on a Thursday and on Saturday I started having diarrhea. I was given Keflex for 5 days following surgery by my surgeon and was only diagnosed with C. difficile colitis 2 weeks later. My primary care physician put me on Flagyl for 10 days and there is no change. He gave me an additional 5 days and still no change.

Comment from: Mary8479, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had been on Septra, Cipro, Macrobid, etc., for chronic urinary tract infections. My urologist put me on Keflex for 3 months. Six days later I get C. difficile colitis.

Comment from: redifrech, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I took clindamycin for a small infection and later was diagnosed with Clostridium difficile. Two weeks after finishing the medication I experienced intestinal cramping, diarrhea and large gobs of mucus. Prior to the use of clindamycin I was basically a very healthy person and now will be struggling to regain my normal life back. I would advise anyone to use caution and look for alternatives before using this drug.

Comment from: Butterfly Gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I took 4 clindamycin tablets before a tooth extraction. One week later I had C. difficile colitis starting with mucus discharge, 2 weeks later blood, and 2 1/2 weeks later diarrhea.

Comment from: scmama24, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I just was diagnosed with C. difficile colitis today. I was taking cephalexin for an upper respiratory infection.

Comment from: sa, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I took co-amoxiclav and clindamycin last summer so I think these antibiotics caused my C. difficile colitis.

Comment from: willneverbethesame, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had my wisdom teeth out in September, like most young people my age. I was prescribed clindamycin, which I only took for three days. Not only did I develop a dry socket, I found out that was the least of my worries. A month later (thanks to a very respected, determined, and wonderful doctor) after numerous tests, I found out that I had C. difficile colitis. I not warned about this. The oral surgeon could have easily told me to take probiotics and eat yogurt while taking that antibiotic. I had no idea this could turn into such a nightmare. It is Christmas in a few days and all these medical bills are piling up and I am so frustrated to see how many people this has happened to. I should have researched this! It is crazy that the prescription bottle doesn't say take probiotics or eat live cultured yogurt. This needs to be addressed! I need to contact my oral surgeon and tell them they need to spread awareness. Was my chances better not taking it? I think so! Flagyl didn't work for me. I had an IV form round of vancomycin that finally helped. So much for saving for a house.

Comment from: YYY, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Same as many, clindamycin for a wisdom tooth extraction that ended up being dry socket, caused my C difficile. I have been suffering for a year with on and off constipation and diarrhea. I started having blood in stool and white spots in stool. Finally I went to the doctor and tested feces. Oral surgeons need to stop prescribing this medication. Now I am on metronidazole. Hope it works. Don't take clindamycin!

C. Difficile - Diagnosis Question: How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?
C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?