Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it

Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?

Comment from: thebarkers0218, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I took clindamycin antibiotic and that was the worst thing I could have ever have took for a bad tooth. It caused C. difficile colitis, explosive diarrhea, high fever and severe abdominal pain. Since having C. difficile colitis, well, I never got well again. I kept having explosive diarrhea, abdominal pain and 10 years later, finally after being treated like I was some kind of hypochondriac, they diagnosed me with ulcerative colitis. Now I pass lots of blood in stool and all thanks to clindamycin antibiotic. Nobody could ever tell me it was not the clindamycin that caused it, I have 10 years of doctor's reports to prove it. Stay away from this antibiotic if you want to stay healthy.

Comment from: JustJane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was on levofloxacin, for a severe sinus infection. I had two 10 day protocols before a surgery to implant a pain pump. The day I entered the hospital for surgery I realized, when I was weighed, I had lost 9 lb. in the 10 days before surgery. I had surgery on a Thursday and on Saturday I started having diarrhea. I was given Keflex for 5 days following surgery by my surgeon and was only diagnosed with C. difficile colitis 2 weeks later. My primary care physician put me on Flagyl for 10 days and there is no change. He gave me an additional 5 days and still no change.

Comment from: Mary8479, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had been on Septra, Cipro, Macrobid, etc., for chronic urinary tract infections. My urologist put me on Keflex for 3 months. Six days later I get C. difficile colitis.

Comment from: redifrech, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I took clindamycin for a small infection and later was diagnosed with Clostridium difficile. Two weeks after finishing the medication I experienced intestinal cramping, diarrhea and large gobs of mucus. Prior to the use of clindamycin I was basically a very healthy person and now will be struggling to regain my normal life back. I would advise anyone to use caution and look for alternatives before using this drug.

Comment from: Butterfly Gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I took 4 clindamycin tablets before a tooth extraction. One week later I had C. difficile colitis starting with mucus discharge, 2 weeks later blood, and 2 1/2 weeks later diarrhea.

Comment from: hurt by meds, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I am not sure if I have C. difficile colitis yet. I had facial cellulitis 8 to 11 days ago. The emergency room doctor took no blood samples and gave me no IV, just 2 prescriptions; clindamycin (300 mg capsules 4 times a day) and generic Bactrim (800 - 160 tablet 2 times day). I have felt terrible with headache, overall nausea, a rash all over that itches and am now worried.

C. Difficile - Diagnosis Question: How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?
C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?