Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it

Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?

Comment from: RockyTop8, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I took Cipro for a urinary tract infection (UTI), and two days after finishing Cipro I got C. difficile colitis. I was so sick. Took Flagyl, 500 mg three times a day for 15 days plus probiotic. Also was on yogurt. I am much better now; however, still some runny stools from time to time.

Comment from: smith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was on Augmentin for an upper respiratory infection and after my last dosage, I got C. diff. At first, I thought I was just sick, and then did some research. After going to the doctor and having tests, it was confirmed that I had C. diff. I was given metronidazole. However, the dosage that was given to me was not strong enough and it did not clear up the C. diff. I am back on the same medication, but my dosage has been doubled. It's been a week and I feel much better. I hope this clears it up.

Comment from: Cici, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I was prescribed a 10-day course of Augmentin for a respiratory infection. Nine days after stopping the Augmentin, I had the first symptoms of C. Difficile. I did not have a fever, but horrible abdominal cramps and diarrhea. I am currently on my third day of treatment with Flagyl, and am still experiencing diarrhea, but the symptoms aren't as bad. I am hoping that I am not one of the unfortunates who relapse.

C. Difficile - Diagnosis Question: How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?
C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?