Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?

Comment from: Reneec, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

C. difficile colitis was very draining for me. I had to be close to the bathroom. I went to my doctor when it first started and they could not pinpoint the C. difficile at first. I was still having the symptoms of diarrhea for 3 weeks and I finally told myself to go to the emergency room. There they found the virus and told me what I had. I was drained and they had a hard time finding a vein for an IV. My lower intestines were swollen. I was very weak, and it took another 3 or 4 days for me to get back to work and to have normal stools.

Comment from: Mary8479, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had the worst diarrhea I've ever had. I had a fever and chills and severe fatigue. The very worst part of it the C. difficile colitis was the nausea.

Comment from: Kitty2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

With C. difficile colitis I have stomach ache, mucus. No watery stools but more trips than normal to the bathroom for passing mucus and stool or just mucus. I have fatigue.

Comment from: christaboo78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had suffered with severe abdominal pain, bloating, headaches, and watery diarrhea. The pain was the worst and anything touching my abdominal area made me want to cry and scream. I haven't taken antibiotics in a long time and not sure how I ended up with C. difficile colitis. In a month's time I had 2 very expensive emergency room (ER) visits, 2 regular doctor visits and finally went to a gastroenterologist. After colonoscopy, endoscopy, and stool samples, I was diagnosed with C. difficile. I started to feel better but after 3 days off of Flagyl I am feeling miserable just like day 1. I cannot go to work, and will be going on two months; I've been on short term disability. I recalled my gastroenterologist today to let him know I'm really ill again. This has put such a strain on my life, people just look at me like I am nuts. Bowel incontinence, watery diarrhea, migraines, swelling and abdominal pain are in full swing, and the nasty taste in my mouth... I would not wish this infection on anyone. I am afraid to go too far from my house because I might have an accident. I have no idea where I got the infection either.

Comment from: harlowette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have had diarrhea for 5 months and then I cycle into constipation for 2 to 3 weeks and back to the diapers. I had a simple stool test performed and that is when they found I had difficile colitis. In the interim I got pneumonia and had to take antibiotics. I am just hoping the antibiotics won't overpower the medicine I am taking for the C-Diff and I lose my colon.

Comment from: Bubba, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I have Crohn's, and also take Prozac, Wellbutrin, and other meds. The doctors have found a yeast infection in my stomach and in my mouth. Could this be a symptom of C. difficile colitis, or a side effect? The white patches I scrape off the roof off my mouth, there is no blood, but there are other symptoms I have to deal with. I've had period of high fever 101-103 F with the shakes, due to the fever making me cold or giving me hypothermia-type symptoms.

Comment from: jonny, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

Are there any foods that can trigger this ailment, like dairy?

C. Difficile - Diagnosis Question: How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?
C. Difficile - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?