Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.

Comment from: Yjg, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I developed C. difficile colitis after knee replacement surgery. I went into a rehabilitation facility following the surgery and was very ill with diarrhea when I left. Two days later I was in the emergency room. I was admitted and diagnosed with C. diff. I was in the hospital for two weeks. About a week later I started having symptoms again and was readmitted. This time the tests were negative, but the symptoms remained. They finally did a colonoscopy where I was found to have colon cancer. It was an awful ordeal but because of the C. diff the cancer was discovered before it spread and I didn"t need any treatments. Next week I am having my other knee replaced and I am very concerned about the antibiotics.

Comment from: NO USE OF ANTIBIOTIC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am a 56 year old female who had not used antibiotics for over 10 years. I think I contracted C. difficile colitis from medical office building when going to physical therapy for shoulder. After diagnosis and much research I found that use of acid reflux drugs adversely change flora in gut and make you susceptible to C. difficile much in the way that antibiotics affects the gut flora. My doctors were scratching their heads about why I was susceptible to catching the disease. I truly believe this was the cause for me.

Comment from: josephine, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

In October 2013 began a urinary tract infection and was given Bactrim. This went on until February 2014 and then tried on amoxiclav duo; then the trouble began. I developed a bad pain in the right side of stomach/back, loose motions but pain was the worst; it even hurt to walk or drive a car, couldn"t eat, and just felt terrible. After several visits to a new young general physician, she wrote the words clostridium difficile colitis on a request form. I looked it up, and this site described my problem to a tee. I have obtained saccharomyces and just overnight the pain has lessened and I did have 4 hours straight sleep last night that I have not had in 5 months. Back to the general physician on Monday for results and further treatment I suppose.

Comment from: jank, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 23

I sadly learned about C. difficile colitis for the first time when I found my 83 father thrashing, screaming, yet unresponsive in his bed on Friday. After he arrived in the hospital emergency room he was vented, received dialysis, and many different medications to try to save him. The diagnosis was C. difficile. We had no choice but to pull my father off of life support on the following Thursday, because there was no hope of recovery. He died on Saturday. This tragedy was a result of infections from the implants being ineffectively treated by four different antibiotics by his periodontist. My father was not a good candidate for implants in the first place because of his uncontrolled diabetes, kidney issues, and other pre-existing conditions. In addition, no consultation was done between the periodontist and the primary care physicians. I hope that dentists, oral surgeons, and periodontists will educate themselves about C. difficile so that patients will not have to experience the agony that my father did.

Comment from: janto2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

After being diagnosed with several kinds of arthritis, my doctor put me on steroids, and I have GERD, so am on acid reducers for a long time. As soon as I got off the steroids, I experienced eruptive gas and diarrhea. My burps smelled like they came from the other end, and when I stood up the burps would eject bits of food from my stomach. I went through two years of diarrhea. Every doctor found no reason for this affliction, including after a colonoscopy. I don't think anyone tested for C-difficile. The diarrhea got a bit better after taking probiotics, but when it returned, I was advised to quit taking them. We went on vacation in another state when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was hospitalized for nearly a month. Since we only had basic coverage, after a while the hospital discharged me. Our 8 hour drive home nearly killed me, and three days later, I had to be airlifted to another hospital for over a week, where I was set right. After a year, I am experiencing the diarrhea again. I have started back with the probiotics. If I had been properly diagnosed, I might not have had the crisis, nor the huge bills.

C. Difficile - Diagnosis Question: How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?