Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.

Comment from: LisaC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I was diagnosed with ischemic colitis in 2013. I had a few episodes over the next few years but nothing too serious. I had a tooth extraction on April 3rd, 2015. I was prescribed an antibiotic amoxicillin. I took the scheduled dose and on April 14th I woke up with the most excruciating pain in my abdomen. I had diarrhea, cold sweats, chills and throwing up. I waited until the afternoon to finally go to the emergency room. I was begging anyone who came in the room to make the pain go away. I received dual IVs of fluids, Flagyl, metronidazole, potassium, magnesium, and morphine for pain. I had 2 CAT scans, EKGs, x-rays and spent 5 days in the hospital with C. difficile colitis. I now have a new diet, probiotics and lots of water. Let's see what happens from here. Be careful of general antibiotics that will kill what good bacteria you do have and let the bad ones go rampant.

Comment from: Grandma Anna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I went in for minor surgery for removal of polyps, same day in and out. My gynecologist prescribed clindamycin. I took it 3 times and found I was having diarrhea, but in two days I was very sick; fever, cramps, diarrhea and couldn't get out of bed. My gynecologist got me in pronto, she called my gastroenterologist, and he prescribed Flagyl immediately. I went to see him next day, and he explained everything to me, and cautioned me not to go near dairy products. I was tested for C. difficile, I brought a stool sample to the lab and it was positive. It took 2 rounds of Flagyl before I was better and it was 3 months before I felt better. I try not to go near dairy products. When I take an antibiotic I will also take Flagyl with it. I had a hysterectomy and my gynecologist gave me both Flagyl and antibiotics together and I had no symptoms of C. difficile colitis. I am very careful knowing how sick C. difficile can make me.

Comment from: Chas, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I've had C. difficile colitis for many years. I've had all the medications that are available; some costing USD 5000.00 per treatment and I had that twice. The only treatment that I've not had is the fecal transplant. I've been taking chemotherapy (different kinds) for leukemia, and that may have something to do with large amounts of bleeding, that I'm having all of a sudden.

Comment from: Ninny, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: December 31

My grandchildren 1 and 2 acquired C. difficile. Now my daughter of age 32 too has. It is a nightmare for us all. This is 3 months of agony. We saw a pediatric gastrointestinal specialist. Next we are starting with infectious disease specialist. Unfortunately her husband thinks all this is bogus and hand washing disinfection a joke. The kids were never in daycare. Someone has to cure this for us. We have tried Flagyl, Vanco, probiotics, etc.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I got C. difficile colitis. By time I got to the hospital my kidneys were on the verge of shutting down. I was totally dehydrated. I have no idea how I got this other than maybe from work. I work as a greeter and I push carts around to give them to customers. I felt like I was going to die. I lost so much blood I had no control over my bowels. By the time I got to the hospital it was mainly water that I was losing. It also had a horrific smell that made me gag. Blood pressure and temperature were up. The doctor put me on antibiotics and within a few days I was able to go home. Still don't feel like I should, but I suppose this will take time.

Comment from: annie, Female (Patient) Published: October 26

This is my second bout with C. difficile colitis. They never diagnosed it first time, and told me it was gum I was chewing, but after 5 weeks of watery stools they did a stool specimen. I am now on second week of medicine and can't tell much difference. Good luck to anyone who gets this, it is a terrible infection.

C. Difficile - Diagnosis Question: How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?