Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.

Comment from: Ninny, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: December 31

My grandchildren 1 and 2 acquired C. difficile. Now my daughter of age 32 too has. It is a nightmare for us all. This is 3 months of agony. We saw a pediatric gastrointestinal specialist. Next we are starting with infectious disease specialist. Unfortunately her husband thinks all this is bogus and hand washing disinfection a joke. The kids were never in daycare. Someone has to cure this for us. We have tried Flagyl, Vanco, probiotics, etc.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I got C. difficile colitis. By time I got to the hospital my kidneys were on the verge of shutting down. I was totally dehydrated. I have no idea how I got this other than maybe from work. I work as a greeter and I push carts around to give them to customers. I felt like I was going to die. I lost so much blood I had no control over my bowels. By the time I got to the hospital it was mainly water that I was losing. It also had a horrific smell that made me gag. Blood pressure and temperature were up. The doctor put me on antibiotics and within a few days I was able to go home. Still don't feel like I should, but I suppose this will take time.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I was prescribed Prilosec for acid reflux in January. At the beginning of May, I had an upper respiratory infection and was prescribed azithromycin, an antibiotic. I also work in a hospital. The upper respiratory infection cleared up, but I did not feel well since then. I gradually, over five weeks, started to have explosive gas pains, developed mucus in my stool and had numerous bowel movements every day. By mid-June, the upper respiratory infection was back and I was given azithromycin again. After the first dose, I had diarrhea and told my daughter, a nurse, about the gas pains and mucus in my stool. She immediately said, 'C. difficile colitis.' I called my doctor and asked to be tested and the results were positive. I was prescribed Flagyl and so far it seems to be working. I also stopped taking the Prilosec and will not take antibiotics again.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had C. difficile colitis about a year ago. I lost 30 lb. in 3 months. I now have it again. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. I have diarrhea, fever, and am sick at the stomach. I am taking Flagyl on a 3rd round. I will think twice about taking an antibiotic. I have a lung disease and sometimes have to be on antibiotics.

Comment from: Vicki, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

Back in August 2012, my father was diagnosed with C. difficile colitis. He had been on antibiotics, I do not know which one. He had numerous medical problems and his immune system was not in good shape. After contracting C. difficile he was immediately hospitalized and tests showed that it entered the blood system and caused sepsis. The doctors tried treating with every medication they could to reverse it but he then went into septic shock and he passed. I can tell you from personal experience that this process from start to finish was less than 1 week. C. difficile can be very serious and deadly.

Comment from: Holly, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

C. difficile colitis killed Mama in 2011. Here are my 'lessons learned': 1) Avoid institutions like the plague, pun intended. 2) Personally witness hand washing/glove changing before allowing anyone to touch you. 3) Don't even contemplate setting foot on a slick surface. Mama never had health problems, but was hospitalized with a broken ankle after slipping on ice. They gave her an external fixator along with pneumonia (a first) and antibiotics, then shipped her to rehabilitation to wait for ankle surgery. The metal scaffolding on her ankle meant she had to suffer the indignity of asking for personal assistance - another first. One day, with eyes downcast, she quietly said, "I had to call for help last night and the gentleman who came wasn't very nice to me." I escalated to the facility's director. Someone had shoddy hygiene practices. A table appeared outside her room stacked with masks, gowns, gloves, and booties, and a 'precautions' sign on her door. We were told not to worry - almost everyone in a rehab or hospital gets C. difficile, treatable with antibiotics. Three days later she was rushed to the emergency room (ER) at 6 am, moved to ICU at 8 am, and by 10 am they told me she was in septic shock and was going to die. I called hospice and their nurse was by my side in 15 minutes. At least she died peacefully and knew she was at home and that I was holding her hand. This was 3 years ago.

C. Difficile - Diagnosis Question: How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?