Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I was prescribed Prilosec for acid reflux in January. At the beginning of May, I had an upper respiratory infection and was prescribed azithromycin, an antibiotic. I also work in a hospital. The upper respiratory infection cleared up, but I did not feel well since then. I gradually, over five weeks, started to have explosive gas pains, developed mucus in my stool and had numerous bowel movements every day. By mid-June, the upper respiratory infection was back and I was given azithromycin again. After the first dose, I had diarrhea and told my daughter, a nurse, about the gas pains and mucus in my stool. She immediately said, 'C. difficile colitis.' I called my doctor and asked to be tested and the results were positive. I was prescribed Flagyl and so far it seems to be working. I also stopped taking the Prilosec and will not take antibiotics again.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had C. difficile colitis about a year ago. I lost 30 lb. in 3 months. I now have it again. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. I have diarrhea, fever, and am sick at the stomach. I am taking Flagyl on a 3rd round. I will think twice about taking an antibiotic. I have a lung disease and sometimes have to be on antibiotics.

Comment from: Vicki, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

Back in August 2012, my father was diagnosed with C. difficile colitis. He had been on antibiotics, I do not know which one. He had numerous medical problems and his immune system was not in good shape. After contracting C. difficile he was immediately hospitalized and tests showed that it entered the blood system and caused sepsis. The doctors tried treating with every medication they could to reverse it but he then went into septic shock and he passed. I can tell you from personal experience that this process from start to finish was less than 1 week. C. difficile can be very serious and deadly.

Comment from: Holly, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

C. difficile colitis killed Mama in 2011. Here are my 'lessons learned': 1) Avoid institutions like the plague, pun intended. 2) Personally witness hand washing/glove changing before allowing anyone to touch you. 3) Don't even contemplate setting foot on a slick surface. Mama never had health problems, but was hospitalized with a broken ankle after slipping on ice. They gave her an external fixator along with pneumonia (a first) and antibiotics, then shipped her to rehabilitation to wait for ankle surgery. The metal scaffolding on her ankle meant she had to suffer the indignity of asking for personal assistance - another first. One day, with eyes downcast, she quietly said, "I had to call for help last night and the gentleman who came wasn't very nice to me." I escalated to the facility's director. Someone had shoddy hygiene practices. A table appeared outside her room stacked with masks, gowns, gloves, and booties, and a 'precautions' sign on her door. We were told not to worry - almost everyone in a rehab or hospital gets C. difficile, treatable with antibiotics. Three days later she was rushed to the emergency room (ER) at 6 am, moved to ICU at 8 am, and by 10 am they told me she was in septic shock and was going to die. I called hospice and their nurse was by my side in 15 minutes. At least she died peacefully and knew she was at home and that I was holding her hand. This was 3 years ago.

Comment from: Yjg, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I developed C. difficile colitis after knee replacement surgery. I went into a rehabilitation facility following the surgery and was very ill with diarrhea when I left. Two days later I was in the emergency room. I was admitted and diagnosed with C. diff. I was in the hospital for two weeks. About a week later I started having symptoms again and was readmitted. This time the tests were negative, but the symptoms remained. They finally did a colonoscopy where I was found to have colon cancer. It was an awful ordeal but because of the C. diff the cancer was discovered before it spread and I didn"t need any treatments. Next week I am having my other knee replaced and I am very concerned about the antibiotics.

Comment from: NO USE OF ANTIBIOTIC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am a 56 year old female who had not used antibiotics for over 10 years. I think I contracted C. difficile colitis from medical office building when going to physical therapy for shoulder. After diagnosis and much research I found that use of acid reflux drugs adversely change flora in gut and make you susceptible to C. difficile much in the way that antibiotics affects the gut flora. My doctors were scratching their heads about why I was susceptible to catching the disease. I truly believe this was the cause for me.

C. Difficile - Diagnosis Question: How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed?
C. Difficile - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?
C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it Question: Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take?
C. Difficile - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for C. difficile colitis?