Patient Comments: Claudication - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with claudication in you or someone you know?

Comment from: geoffo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I am a male of age 64. I have history of heart problems, with atrial fibrillations and 2 heart stents fitted six years ago. I started to get slight pain in right buttock on walking. Nothing else caused this pain, only walking; about 8 minutes into a normal walk (not shopping walking but just normal walking). After 6 months the pain got worse until after some time I would have to stop walking. Waiting just 2 or 3 minutes and pain would go, sometimes not to return at all even after an hour of walking. Eventually intermittent claudication was diagnosed by CT scan. I was offered angioplasty, but will continue to walk in hope that I can stop it getting worse. Having had 4 angioplasties in the past, I'm not keen on being punctured again (even wonder if that is why I have a groin blockage).

Comment from: Judy Cleine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

Dull pain in feet, ankles, and lower legs when walking were the symptoms of claudication. Other symptoms were a feeling like wading through glue, need to rest often, severe cramps at night in which the toes lock and curl upwards towards the face. Feet are always feel cold and increasingly numb, and are cold to the touch. There was no detectable pulse in my ankles at my last rather pointless physio-exercise exam. I have been a smoker for 50 years (it helps me think) have had low blood pressure for most of my life, and have grown and eaten my own fresh food for 50 years. My parents both died aged 64 of strokes and heart failure. When my husband died four years ago I lost a lot of weight (size 16 to 6) and lost all interest in food. Since then I have tried to fatten myself up again. Eggs, yogurt, cheese, potatoes, greens, pork, chicken, capsicums, rice garlic, ginger, and for an occasional treat an ice cream and two pieces of chocolate. Suspect all I have done is increase a pre-existing cholesterol/ inherited weak heart. I'm not looking for a cure. Would appreciate an honest prognosis.

Comment from: Joyce, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I wonder if claudication can occur in your toes and the balls of your feet. Mine ache and feel real tight, sometimes like blocks of ice. Sometimes it makes my toenail hurt; very painful.

Comment from: construction worker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I had sharp pains starting in my buttocks that limited my walking to less than 100 yards at first. I took measures for claudication including stopping smoking cold turkey, eliminating sweets and snacks except nuts and apples, and included many healthy spices in my food with a daily regimen of walking and stair stepping exercise. Nothing worked. To increase the distance I walked more than 100 yards or so.

Comment from: shona, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Whenever I do any physical activity, my left leg joint pains a lot. It gives stabbing sensation.

Claudication - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including medication or surgery, did you or a relative receive for claudication?
Claudication - Pain Question: Please describe the nature of your claudication pain.
Claudication - Diagnosis Question: How was your claudication diagnosed?