Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: SadWife, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 26

My husband has cirrhosis (stage 4). His eyes are yellowish, his breath awful. He has sleepless nights, and itchy blotchy skin. He is always tired and grumpy. He has taken pain killers for many years, and he has been a regular beer drinker since his teen years. His MELD score is 11 at the moment. He's on beta blockers. We only found out a few months ago when he had pain in his stomach and chest area. Now he has three doctors who say his condition is not severe enough for a transplant. I can't believe how upset he gets over the smallest of things.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

I'm a wife of one that has hepatitis C, and we just found out that now he has cirrhosis of the liver. I have found that my husband's memory is very different from mine. He doesn't remember one minute to the next at times. Or sometimes he doesn't remember what I told him five minutes before. I found out that memory loss can be one of the side effects from cirrhosis. We have two small kids that I worry for as well.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Male Published: April 22

My husband has been drinking for years. He is 55 years old and has other family members that have past away because of their drinking problems. Now he is having all types of problems because of his cirrhosis. His ankles seem to swell more often now, and the prednisone seems to be doing nothing to help him.

Published: July 28

I am 33 yrs old now. May, I found out I have cirrhosis end stage. I stay tired, and over the last 10 years wondered why I would continue to gain weight without eating. Had my gallbladder removed in 2002. The puzzle was I had to ask my doctor of 8 years to have the biopsy done. I felt something wasn't right with the enzymes being elevated the entire time I have seen him. My legs and ankles stay swollen. My blood is clotting, and I have no idea what to do. I'm lost. No insurance, no job because I get too tired to work.

Published: June 23

I had to have my gall bladder removed 10 years ago and only then did I find out that I had scarring of the liver along with Hepatitis C. I have had some setbacks with low white and red platelet counts. I have been on this treatment before but had to stop because of insurance issues. This time around, I should be able to finish the 12-month therapy, as long as my blood counts don't get out of control. For me, the first day I started treatment, injection and six pills daily was pretty intense. After the first injection that night, I felt like I had the flu, one minute freezing and the next burning up. It passed, and I have never had any reaction since.

Published: June 17

I was extremely fatigued but I thought it was due to work stress and running an after-school program at my school (I'm a teacher). But, at the same time, during prep for surgery on an abdominal hernia, my white blood count was extremely low and I was so anemic that I was told to see my doctor immediately and my surgery was cancelled. Further tests determined that I had advanced liver disease from a blood transfusion I'd received in the mid 70's while in an army hospital.

Published: June 17

I recently survived a liver biopsy, I say this because I thought I had been shot, stabbed and gone through baring a child. I'm a 55 year old male that has lived a hard, fast life. Let's say I lived in the dark side of the force for over 30 yrs. Results of biopsy; stage 4 cirrhosis. I basically freaked out on the physician and there wasn't much consulting, I just wanted to leave his office and isolate. Treatment for my Hep C should start in a week or two, not looking forward to that either.

Published: June 10

I have been married for 35 years. During initial years of marriage my husband used to complain about acidity, indigestion but was treated with antacids. His major problem started some 15 years back diagnosed as diabetes & enlarged liver. Last 10 years his condition became quite severe with loss of appetite & complications like oedema, ascites. He was hospitalized & was diagnosed for NASH related cirrhosis. It was great shock to our family since he never had drinks (alcoholic) of any kind all his life. He is under guidance of good doctor who takes care of complications of cirrhosis. But unfortunately he has developed HCC for last one year. At the moment his liver conditions are quite good since chemo immobilization was done for 4cm HCC last year. We are following up with the doctor for any further break up by checking his alpha feto protein on monthly basis. We can pray only for miracle to cure his disease since we find no reasons for him to get deadly disease. He is 63 years old now.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.