Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: June 17

I was extremely fatigued but I thought it was due to work stress and running an after-school program at my school (I'm a teacher). But, at the same time, during prep for surgery on an abdominal hernia, my white blood count was extremely low and I was so anemic that I was told to see my doctor immediately and my surgery was cancelled. Further tests determined that I had advanced liver disease from a blood transfusion I'd received in the mid 70's while in an army hospital.

Published: June 17

I recently survived a liver biopsy, I say this because I thought I had been shot, stabbed and gone through baring a child. I'm a 55 year old male that has lived a hard, fast life. Let's say I lived in the dark side of the force for over 30 yrs. Results of biopsy; stage 4 cirrhosis. I basically freaked out on the physician and there wasn't much consulting, I just wanted to leave his office and isolate. Treatment for my Hep C should start in a week or two, not looking forward to that either.

Published: June 10

I have been married for 35 years. During initial years of marriage my husband used to complain about acidity, indigestion but was treated with antacids. His major problem started some 15 years back diagnosed as diabetes & enlarged liver. Last 10 years his condition became quite severe with loss of appetite & complications like oedema, ascites. He was hospitalized & was diagnosed for NASH related cirrhosis. It was great shock to our family since he never had drinks (alcoholic) of any kind all his life. He is under guidance of good doctor who takes care of complications of cirrhosis. But unfortunately he has developed HCC for last one year. At the moment his liver conditions are quite good since chemo immobilization was done for 4cm HCC last year. We are following up with the doctor for any further break up by checking his alpha feto protein on monthly basis. We can pray only for miracle to cure his disease since we find no reasons for him to get deadly disease. He is 63 years old now.

Comment from: hoeful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am a 48 married woman and still have two young children at home. I was diagnosed a year ago by chance during a physical for a job. My life has been totally transformed. My numbers are high enough where I am willing to take the treatment offered by the doctors. My fate has been going on for over 20 years ago when I was violated by a person who was an IV user. I am so thankful because I cold be dead or dying, but I am just going through some physical suffering that will not last. I am boasting because it is an ugly disease, the numbers are from 0-4 with the liver damage, I am at 3. I am suffering but I do have the victory. I start my treatment next week.

Comment from: Daughter of patient, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My mother was diagnosed with cirrhosis. She is very advanced in the disease and beyond transplant. She has a very strong odor at times on her breath and comes out in the pores her skin.

Comment from: ten217, 35-44 Male Published: June 02

I am a 38 year old male, currently experiencing unknown bruising. I have been drinking daily for at least 20 plus years. I am too scared for a doctor check up. I have no insurance. So I figure I will suffer a sad fate. I am not sure how it goes, but I am very scared. If anyone reads this please post and let me know of your thoughts.

Comment from: cdp, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with 4th stage cirrhosis caused by an unknown autoimmune disorder. After I had my son a year ago I breast fed for 8 months and thought I was just run down from working full time, breast feeding and caring for a baby. Then I turned yellow and got pretty sick. I need a liver transplant in the next couple years and I am ab negative, the rarest blood type.

Comment from: pp901, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

My Dad died with Cirrhosis years ago. I just wanted all to know about Milk Thistle. It has been touted as helping with rebuilding the liver. There are even studies out there that say it works. You can find it in a health food store. I think you have to take more than one or two a day if you have a bad liver, though- can take less for prevention. I am not a doctor or anything, just have read up on this a lot. I wish you all the best.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.