Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: ligiaheldy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was wondering if cirrhosis of the liver (non-alcoholic) can cause fingernail disorders such as nail separation. ?

Comment from: lm1, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 26

I have just learned that my father has cirrhosis. He has severe fluid retention now in both legs and his abdomen. He has severe fatigue and general malaise. He is having some mental issues as well. All the doctor had to say was I am in for a hard time taking care of him. What does that mean?! I am trying to get more information. I want to know how long he has. He is 81. Evidently, he has had it for a couple of years.

Comment from: Bill, (Caregiver) Published: June 26

My daughter is 41 years old. She took all types of drugs for 20 years. Now she has cirrhosis of the liver. I took her to the emergency room, and she was in the hospital for five days. The doctor put her on fluid medications, antibiotics and beta blockers. She lost 30 pounds of fluid. He told her to see her family doctor. She does not have one. I have called four different doctors and none of them will see her. I was going to pay for the office visit. I hope I can find a doctor to see her to refill her prescriptions. If not, I will have to take her back to the emergency room. My daughter got hooked on pain killers when she was hit in the eye and lost her sight in that eye. When the doctor would not give her anymore pain killers, she turned to street drugs. I am sure this is how a lot of people get started.

Comment from: SadWife, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 26

My husband has cirrhosis (stage 4). His eyes are yellowish, his breath awful. He has sleepless nights, and itchy blotchy skin. He is always tired and grumpy. He has taken pain killers for many years, and he has been a regular beer drinker since his teen years. His MELD score is 11 at the moment. He's on beta blockers. We only found out a few months ago when he had pain in his stomach and chest area. Now he has three doctors who say his condition is not severe enough for a transplant. I can't believe how upset he gets over the smallest of things.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

I'm a wife of one that has hepatitis C, and we just found out that now he has cirrhosis of the liver. I have found that my husband's memory is very different from mine. He doesn't remember one minute to the next at times. Or sometimes he doesn't remember what I told him five minutes before. I found out that memory loss can be one of the side effects from cirrhosis. We have two small kids that I worry for as well.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Male Published: April 22

My husband has been drinking for years. He is 55 years old and has other family members that have past away because of their drinking problems. Now he is having all types of problems because of his cirrhosis. His ankles seem to swell more often now, and the prednisone seems to be doing nothing to help him.

Published: July 28

I am 33 yrs old now. May, I found out I have cirrhosis end stage. I stay tired, and over the last 10 years wondered why I would continue to gain weight without eating. Had my gallbladder removed in 2002. The puzzle was I had to ask my doctor of 8 years to have the biopsy done. I felt something wasn't right with the enzymes being elevated the entire time I have seen him. My legs and ankles stay swollen. My blood is clotting, and I have no idea what to do. I'm lost. No insurance, no job because I get too tired to work.

Published: June 23

I had to have my gall bladder removed 10 years ago and only then did I find out that I had scarring of the liver along with Hepatitis C. I have had some setbacks with low white and red platelet counts. I have been on this treatment before but had to stop because of insurance issues. This time around, I should be able to finish the 12-month therapy, as long as my blood counts don't get out of control. For me, the first day I started treatment, injection and six pills daily was pretty intense. After the first injection that night, I felt like I had the flu, one minute freezing and the next burning up. It passed, and I have never had any reaction since.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.