Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: justmeinmo, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

I have been with my boyfriend for 10 years now. He has always drank beer every night after work. At least 18 beers a night. He used to start drinking at 3:30 and within a few years it moved up to 2:00. He is almost 38 years old now. He has been drinking since he was about 20. He drinks until it's time for bed and than wakes up in the middle of the night to eat. He quit drinking a week ago. He has that belly of course, but he also has yellow eyes (jaundice). He has pins and needles of the feet and fatigue. His liver is so fat the doctor told him he could see it through his belly. They are sending him for a biopsy in the next few weeks. He has lost an incredible amount of weight and kind of looks sickly. I just don't know what to do for him, I hope it isn't too late.

Comment from: akosha77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a 44 year old female who was diagnosed with hepatitis C back in 1995. I had all the tests done and was told I did not have it that bad, that I could live a long healthy life. I am a drinker as well. Just this past month I went to a doctor for the first time in 7 years. I did the normal tests and a week later got a phone call saying my liver enzymes had sky rocketed from the last test they had done 7 years ago, and the doctor informed me that she feels that I have cirrhosis of the liver. I have to go in June for more blood work and ultrasound on my liver. I have backed off on my drinking a heck of a lot. But I am scared! I have 3 grown children and expecting my newest grandchild to be born any day! I am scared! But trying to stay strong!

Comment from: Debra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I started with autoimmune hepatitis (AIH) in 2004 and was surprised in January 2014 I had cirrhosis stage 4 liver disease. What I don"t understand is what happened to stage s 1, 2 and 3. I knew a transplant could be in my future but not this soon. A frustrated patient with no answers. I have had cirrhosis since 2012.

Comment from: ligiaheldy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was wondering if cirrhosis of the liver (non-alcoholic) can cause fingernail disorders such as nail separation. ?

Comment from: lm1, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 26

I have just learned that my father has cirrhosis. He has severe fluid retention now in both legs and his abdomen. He has severe fatigue and general malaise. He is having some mental issues as well. All the doctor had to say was I am in for a hard time taking care of him. What does that mean?! I am trying to get more information. I want to know how long he has. He is 81. Evidently, he has had it for a couple of years.

Comment from: Bill, (Caregiver) Published: June 26

My daughter is 41 years old. She took all types of drugs for 20 years. Now she has cirrhosis of the liver. I took her to the emergency room, and she was in the hospital for five days. The doctor put her on fluid medications, antibiotics and beta blockers. She lost 30 pounds of fluid. He told her to see her family doctor. She does not have one. I have called four different doctors and none of them will see her. I was going to pay for the office visit. I hope I can find a doctor to see her to refill her prescriptions. If not, I will have to take her back to the emergency room. My daughter got hooked on pain killers when she was hit in the eye and lost her sight in that eye. When the doctor would not give her anymore pain killers, she turned to street drugs. I am sure this is how a lot of people get started.

Comment from: SadWife, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 26

My husband has cirrhosis (stage 4). His eyes are yellowish, his breath awful. He has sleepless nights, and itchy blotchy skin. He is always tired and grumpy. He has taken pain killers for many years, and he has been a regular beer drinker since his teen years. His MELD score is 11 at the moment. He's on beta blockers. We only found out a few months ago when he had pain in his stomach and chest area. Now he has three doctors who say his condition is not severe enough for a transplant. I can't believe how upset he gets over the smallest of things.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

I'm a wife of one that has hepatitis C, and we just found out that now he has cirrhosis of the liver. I have found that my husband's memory is very different from mine. He doesn't remember one minute to the next at times. Or sometimes he doesn't remember what I told him five minutes before. I found out that memory loss can be one of the side effects from cirrhosis. We have two small kids that I worry for as well.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.