Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Sissy, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

My husband started losing weight for no reason. He had diarrhea most of the time. His stool was black for two months before he ever told me about it. He started puking up a quart of blood at a time, and we found out the black stool was blood too. I took him to the hospital, and they immediately put four bags of blood in him. They told us he has cirrhosis of the liver from drinking too much alcohol. He would drink at least a case of beer a day for the past two and a half years that we have been married, except for one week when he had to take medicine.

Comment from: Robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

My cirrhosis was diagnosed when I was hospitalized with marked jaundice. I had been a long-standing alcoholic. For 18 months, I had experienced a loss of sex drive, a lot of weight gain around the abdomen, and a number of falls (when I had not been drinking). I had been accustomed to walking a lot, but my calves began to feel as if they were carrying lead weights. There was also a small amount of blood in my stools. (That rapidly worsened.) Within a week of going to the hospital, I developed hepatorenal syndrome and ended up in intensive care. That was more than three years ago. I no longer drink, and I am much healthier. Fortunately, no transplant was necessary.

Comment from: Peacock, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have suffered from JRA and IgE immune problems since the age of 2 resulting with me being in and out of the hospital most of my early childhood and on some sort of medication. I was diagnosised with PBC a year ago. I was extremely tried, irritable, constantly having sever sinus infections, feeling of food just sitting on my stomach which followed with vomiting, problems going to the bathroom, itching all over my torso, arms, legs, hands and feet, to the point where I was scratching myself bloody and crying at night because I couldn't make it stop which resulted in me not sleeping. It was horrible. I am glad that they found the problem and I am doing much better now after being prescribed Urso Forte.

Comment from: justmeinmo, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

I have been with my boyfriend for 10 years now. He has always drank beer every night after work. At least 18 beers a night. He used to start drinking at 3:30 and within a few years it moved up to 2:00. He is almost 38 years old now. He has been drinking since he was about 20. He drinks until it's time for bed and than wakes up in the middle of the night to eat. He quit drinking a week ago. He has that belly of course, but he also has yellow eyes (jaundice). He has pins and needles of the feet and fatigue. His liver is so fat the doctor told him he could see it through his belly. They are sending him for a biopsy in the next few weeks. He has lost an incredible amount of weight and kind of looks sickly. I just don't know what to do for him, I hope it isn't too late.

Comment from: Romeo, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 12

My heart aches to see my brother who is 45 that might not make it to 46 which is only weeks away. He survived the stroke and life was never the same! No one in the end but him and his alcohol! They don't live and don't let us live by seeing them suffer and not wanting our help.

Comment from: nazim khan, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 12

I am experiencing swelling in the tummy with cirrhosis of liver.

Comment from: akosha77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a 44 year old female who was diagnosed with hepatitis C back in 1995. I had all the tests done and was told I did not have it that bad, that I could live a long healthy life. I am a drinker as well. Just this past month I went to a doctor for the first time in 7 years. I did the normal tests and a week later got a phone call saying my liver enzymes had sky rocketed from the last test they had done 7 years ago, and the doctor informed me that she feels that I have cirrhosis of the liver. I have to go in June for more blood work and ultrasound on my liver. I have backed off on my drinking a heck of a lot. But I am scared! I have 3 grown children and expecting my newest grandchild to be born any day! I am scared! But trying to stay strong!

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.