Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Snowball, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 04

My husband was diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the liver due to alcohol. He was told his liver was in the end stages as he was being tapped for ascites at least once a month, with gallons being extracted. He's also treated with an array of diuretics and a beta blocker stopped consuming alcohol and eating healthy and after one year has made considerable progress - he's gained most of his weight back and his energy levels are very good. The specialist tells us his liver has regenerated and now they are cutting back on his medication. Given enough time, along with healthy living, the liver will regenerate. When it comes to the liver there is a lot of hope.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

This past August I entered the hospital for a typical hernia repair. I am 49 years old, and drank very little over the years, and not at all for the past 6 years. However, during my hernia repair the surgeon noticed my liver was inflamed and did a biopsy, which revealed cirrhosis of my liver. I have other health problems, such as degenerative arthritis, so the doctor believes the cirrhosis was caused by my use of pain medications and combinations of medications for other health conditions. Other than all of my teeth falling out, I had little or few symptoms at all of the cirrhosis, and since have developed portal hypertension, for which I am now being treated with Nadolol. Other than that, my liver is still functional, so I am hopeful.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I am 59 years old and drank heavily most of my life, about 40 years. I went to the hospital with weight gain, an oversized abdomen, swelling in the legs, and ankles. When I was diagnosed with cirrhosis, my right leg was two times larger then my left. They had to take 7 liters of fluid from the abdomen. I have quit drinking, but it may be too little too late.

Comment from: Sissy, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

My husband started losing weight for no reason. He had diarrhea most of the time. His stool was black for two months before he ever told me about it. He started puking up a quart of blood at a time, and we found out the black stool was blood too. I took him to the hospital, and they immediately put four bags of blood in him. They told us he has cirrhosis of the liver from drinking too much alcohol. He would drink at least a case of beer a day for the past two and a half years that we have been married, except for one week when he had to take medicine.

Comment from: Robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

My cirrhosis was diagnosed when I was hospitalized with marked jaundice. I had been a long-standing alcoholic. For 18 months, I had experienced a loss of sex drive, a lot of weight gain around the abdomen, and a number of falls (when I had not been drinking). I had been accustomed to walking a lot, but my calves began to feel as if they were carrying lead weights. There was also a small amount of blood in my stools. (That rapidly worsened.) Within a week of going to the hospital, I developed hepatorenal syndrome and ended up in intensive care. That was more than three years ago. I no longer drink, and I am much healthier. Fortunately, no transplant was necessary.

Comment from: Peacock, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have suffered from JRA and IgE immune problems since the age of 2 resulting with me being in and out of the hospital most of my early childhood and on some sort of medication. I was diagnosised with PBC a year ago. I was extremely tried, irritable, constantly having sever sinus infections, feeling of food just sitting on my stomach which followed with vomiting, problems going to the bathroom, itching all over my torso, arms, legs, hands and feet, to the point where I was scratching myself bloody and crying at night because I couldn't make it stop which resulted in me not sleeping. It was horrible. I am glad that they found the problem and I am doing much better now after being prescribed Urso Forte.

Comment from: justmeinmo, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

I have been with my boyfriend for 10 years now. He has always drank beer every night after work. At least 18 beers a night. He used to start drinking at 3:30 and within a few years it moved up to 2:00. He is almost 38 years old now. He has been drinking since he was about 20. He drinks until it's time for bed and than wakes up in the middle of the night to eat. He quit drinking a week ago. He has that belly of course, but he also has yellow eyes (jaundice). He has pins and needles of the feet and fatigue. His liver is so fat the doctor told him he could see it through his belly. They are sending him for a biopsy in the next few weeks. He has lost an incredible amount of weight and kind of looks sickly. I just don't know what to do for him, I hope it isn't too late.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.