Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Em, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I am 32 years old and cannot remember a day when my mother did not have at least one drink. The summer of 2008, she was diagnosed with hepatitis C and cirrhosis of the liver. She experienced rapid weight loss, jaundice, weakness, swelling in her legs, redness of her hands and feet, and lethargy. Even after her diagnosis, she continued to drink. She has since stopped drinking; however, the damage has been done. My days consist of shuffling my mom to and from different doctor appointments to treat the different ailments that keep arising from her cirrhosis. Now that sobriety has set in, she can understand the consequences of her actions. It is a shame that she has come to awareness too little too late. My advice is this: Pay attention to your body, get regular check-ups, and if you suspect something is wrong with your liver, insist on a blood test. It only takes one test to see if there is a problem. Early detection and treatment is essential to living a long life.

Comment from: wife, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband is 65 and was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. He has drank since he was 12. Since he retired early because he has pulmonary fibrosis, he drinks from morning to night and sometimes doesn't eat all day. I noticed that he has kind of bruising that looks like just blood under the skin. He is tired a lot. Before he found the liver disease he was going to get on the transplant list for his lungs now that isn't an option.

Comment from: Debr, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband smokes and drinks until he's drunk. Symptoms of his cirrhosis are his eyes are turning yellow, his teeth are falling out, he has extreme weight loss, and purple-looking skin on his face.

Comment from: Widowed Caregiver, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My husband of 25 years died less than 4 months ago of cirrhosis that he acquired from Hep C and alcoholism. He ignored his diagnosis of Hep C around three years ago. Did not get treatment for it and continued to drink everyday after work and all weekend long. Let me make a long story short, he had his first severe fluid retention in May followed by several hospitalizations. He quit cold turkey drinking so that he could be accepted to get on a liver transplant list. He was accepted, did everything he was suppose to do, but nothing could stop the disease which took over our lives. It is a horrible way to die. The progression takes over your entire body and mind, yes your mind. You are dependent of someone else to do everything for you which that loved one is glad to do, but completely breaks their heart and soul to watch their spouse go through. He was number 1 on the transplant list but his body was taken over by constant blood infections, multiple organ failure, and death. Quitting drinking after your liver is damaged is too late. I am now a widow and our daughter does not have a father and his mother lost her only son and his sisters lost their only brother. He died at the age of 59. Trust me when I tell you that you do not want to die this way. It is brutal and completely heartbreaking for your family and friends. Save a life register to become an organ donor today.

Comment from: worn out in Idaho, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I have just spent the last 4 hours wrestling someone into bed who is confused and disoriented. They tell me the cause is an ammonia level of 84 in his blood stream. I got no explanation of what is "normal". He also has extreme edema in both legs. Here is my problem. We went to a local hospital ER for his Gallbladder, which they removed. During the course of laparoscopic surgery they discovered chronic hepatitis (which turned out to be C) and early cirrhosis of the liver. They are telling me that ammonia levels and swelling are due to the "progression of his disease,” but he had none of this prior to the removal of his Gallbladder. Is there anyone out there who can explain this to me?

Comment from: Vegas woman , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I am a 59-year-old woman with cirrhosis of the liver. My skin is yellowish and the whites of my eyes are yellowish.. I believe my situation is fairly advanced, as I was first notified of my condition in preparation for ovarian cancer surgery at the end of 2005 (three and a half years ago). I am now experiencing bruising on different areas of my body including my arms and belly area. There was no apparent trauma or cause for the bruising, it just shows up.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.