Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Em, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I am 32 years old and cannot remember a day when my mother did not have at least one drink. The summer of 2008, she was diagnosed with hepatitis C and cirrhosis of the liver. She experienced rapid weight loss, jaundice, weakness, swelling in her legs, redness of her hands and feet, and lethargy. Even after her diagnosis, she continued to drink. She has since stopped drinking; however, the damage has been done. My days consist of shuffling my mom to and from different doctor appointments to treat the different ailments that keep arising from her cirrhosis. Now that sobriety has set in, she can understand the consequences of her actions. It is a shame that she has come to awareness too little too late. My advice is this: Pay attention to your body, get regular check-ups, and if you suspect something is wrong with your liver, insist on a blood test. It only takes one test to see if there is a problem. Early detection and treatment is essential to living a long life.

Comment from: Timonopoly, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My sister just passed the day before Thanksgiving of 2013. She was very ill for about two weeks prior to this but never went to the doctor. She has been an alcoholic for many years. When I drove down to where she was staying, they were investigating and said she was still inside and she looked real bad and had a very swollen stomach. The EMT (emergency medical technician) stated he thought she died from a G.I. (gastrointestinal) bleed. They did an autopsy because of her age (45) and found she died of natural causes with the underlying issues of cirrhosis of the liver.

Comment from: Bartolomew, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I quit drinking over a year ago. After a month of not drinking, I was still not feeling really good, so I went to get a physical examination. The physical showed low blood platelets. Then I went through the tests to determine the cause. After CT scans, bone marrow extraction, etc. it was determined that I had liver disease. I am on transplant list, but MELD (model for end-stage liver disease) score has dropped. I have no sense of feeling out of it mentally. I'm more tired though. I have learned to relax and clear life of distractions. I am just on water pills and watch my diet. So I guess I'm lucky we caught it when we did. I have absolutely no interest in ever drinking again, by the way.

Comment from: wife, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband is 65 and was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. He has drank since he was 12. Since he retired early because he has pulmonary fibrosis, he drinks from morning to night and sometimes doesn't eat all day. I noticed that he has kind of bruising that looks like just blood under the skin. He is tired a lot. Before he found the liver disease he was going to get on the transplant list for his lungs now that isn't an option.

Comment from: Debr, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband smokes and drinks until he's drunk. Symptoms of his cirrhosis are his eyes are turning yellow, his teeth are falling out, he has extreme weight loss, and purple-looking skin on his face.

Comment from: Widowed Caregiver, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My husband of 25 years died less than 4 months ago of cirrhosis that he acquired from Hep C and alcoholism. He ignored his diagnosis of Hep C around three years ago. Did not get treatment for it and continued to drink everyday after work and all weekend long. Let me make a long story short, he had his first severe fluid retention in May followed by several hospitalizations. He quit cold turkey drinking so that he could be accepted to get on a liver transplant list. He was accepted, did everything he was suppose to do, but nothing could stop the disease which took over our lives. It is a horrible way to die. The progression takes over your entire body and mind, yes your mind. You are dependent of someone else to do everything for you which that loved one is glad to do, but completely breaks their heart and soul to watch their spouse go through. He was number 1 on the transplant list but his body was taken over by constant blood infections, multiple organ failure, and death. Quitting drinking after your liver is damaged is too late. I am now a widow and our daughter does not have a father and his mother lost her only son and his sisters lost their only brother. He died at the age of 59. Trust me when I tell you that you do not want to die this way. It is brutal and completely heartbreaking for your family and friends. Save a life register to become an organ donor today.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.