Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Debr, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband smokes and drinks until he's drunk. Symptoms of his cirrhosis are his eyes are turning yellow, his teeth are falling out, he has extreme weight loss, and purple-looking skin on his face.

Comment from: Widowed Caregiver, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My husband of 25 years died less than 4 months ago of cirrhosis that he acquired from Hep C and alcoholism. He ignored his diagnosis of Hep C around three years ago. Did not get treatment for it and continued to drink everyday after work and all weekend long. Let me make a long story short, he had his first severe fluid retention in May followed by several hospitalizations. He quit cold turkey drinking so that he could be accepted to get on a liver transplant list. He was accepted, did everything he was suppose to do, but nothing could stop the disease which took over our lives. It is a horrible way to die. The progression takes over your entire body and mind, yes your mind. You are dependent of someone else to do everything for you which that loved one is glad to do, but completely breaks their heart and soul to watch their spouse go through. He was number 1 on the transplant list but his body was taken over by constant blood infections, multiple organ failure, and death. Quitting drinking after your liver is damaged is too late. I am now a widow and our daughter does not have a father and his mother lost her only son and his sisters lost their only brother. He died at the age of 59. Trust me when I tell you that you do not want to die this way. It is brutal and completely heartbreaking for your family and friends. Save a life register to become an organ donor today.

Comment from: worn out in Idaho, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I have just spent the last 4 hours wrestling someone into bed who is confused and disoriented. They tell me the cause is an ammonia level of 84 in his blood stream. I got no explanation of what is "normal". He also has extreme edema in both legs. Here is my problem. We went to a local hospital ER for his Gallbladder, which they removed. During the course of laparoscopic surgery they discovered chronic hepatitis (which turned out to be C) and early cirrhosis of the liver. They are telling me that ammonia levels and swelling are due to the "progression of his disease,” but he had none of this prior to the removal of his Gallbladder. Is there anyone out there who can explain this to me?

Comment from: Vegas woman , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I am a 59-year-old woman with cirrhosis of the liver. My skin is yellowish and the whites of my eyes are yellowish.. I believe my situation is fairly advanced, as I was first notified of my condition in preparation for ovarian cancer surgery at the end of 2005 (three and a half years ago). I am now experiencing bruising on different areas of my body including my arms and belly area. There was no apparent trauma or cause for the bruising, it just shows up.

Comment from: Snowball, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 04

My husband was diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the liver due to alcohol. He was told his liver was in the end stages as he was being tapped for ascites at least once a month, with gallons being extracted. He's also treated with an array of diuretics and a beta blocker stopped consuming alcohol and eating healthy and after one year has made considerable progress - he's gained most of his weight back and his energy levels are very good. The specialist tells us his liver has regenerated and now they are cutting back on his medication. Given enough time, along with healthy living, the liver will regenerate. When it comes to the liver there is a lot of hope.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

This past August I entered the hospital for a typical hernia repair. I am 49 years old, and drank very little over the years, and not at all for the past 6 years. However, during my hernia repair the surgeon noticed my liver was inflamed and did a biopsy, which revealed cirrhosis of my liver. I have other health problems, such as degenerative arthritis, so the doctor believes the cirrhosis was caused by my use of pain medications and combinations of medications for other health conditions. Other than all of my teeth falling out, I had little or few symptoms at all of the cirrhosis, and since have developed portal hypertension, for which I am now being treated with Nadolol. Other than that, my liver is still functional, so I am hopeful.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.