Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Em, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I am 32 years old and cannot remember a day when my mother did not have at least one drink. The summer of 2008, she was diagnosed with hepatitis C and cirrhosis of the liver. She experienced rapid weight loss, jaundice, weakness, swelling in her legs, redness of her hands and feet, and lethargy. Even after her diagnosis, she continued to drink. She has since stopped drinking; however, the damage has been done. My days consist of shuffling my mom to and from different doctor appointments to treat the different ailments that keep arising from her cirrhosis. Now that sobriety has set in, she can understand the consequences of her actions. It is a shame that she has come to awareness too little too late. My advice is this: Pay attention to your body, get regular check-ups, and if you suspect something is wrong with your liver, insist on a blood test. It only takes one test to see if there is a problem. Early detection and treatment is essential to living a long life.

Comment from: jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I do constantly fall ill, then suddenly one day it hit me out of the blue. That was 20 years ago back then, and they called it non-A non-B hepatitis. I know have stage 4 cirrhosis. I have no energy, but plenty of bills. Good luck to all the people with this medical problem.

Comment from: sofie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My husband has been drinking for over 50 years. He has been in and out of rehabilitation and the hospital. He drinks whiskey. Now, it seems like he hardly drinks but his stomach is swollen. He is very thin otherwise. His eyes are fluorescent yellow and his skin is yellow. He is weak and sleeps often or just sits on the couch watching TV. He can barely walk and falls down. His urine is reddish orange and brown. He wears diapers in case of accidents. He doesn't have an appetite. He hallucinates at times. I wonder if he has cirrhosis of the liver.

Comment from: Timonopoly, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My sister just passed the day before Thanksgiving of 2013. She was very ill for about two weeks prior to this but never went to the doctor. She has been an alcoholic for many years. When I drove down to where she was staying, they were investigating and said she was still inside and she looked real bad and had a very swollen stomach. The EMT (emergency medical technician) stated he thought she died from a G.I. (gastrointestinal) bleed. They did an autopsy because of her age (45) and found she died of natural causes with the underlying issues of cirrhosis of the liver.

Comment from: Bartolomew, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I quit drinking over a year ago. After a month of not drinking, I was still not feeling really good, so I went to get a physical examination. The physical showed low blood platelets. Then I went through the tests to determine the cause. After CT scans, bone marrow extraction, etc. it was determined that I had liver disease. I am on transplant list, but MELD (model for end-stage liver disease) score has dropped. I have no sense of feeling out of it mentally. I'm more tired though. I have learned to relax and clear life of distractions. I am just on water pills and watch my diet. So I guess I'm lucky we caught it when we did. I have absolutely no interest in ever drinking again, by the way.

Comment from: wife, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband is 65 and was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. He has drank since he was 12. Since he retired early because he has pulmonary fibrosis, he drinks from morning to night and sometimes doesn't eat all day. I noticed that he has kind of bruising that looks like just blood under the skin. He is tired a lot. Before he found the liver disease he was going to get on the transplant list for his lungs now that isn't an option.

Comment from: Debr, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband smokes and drinks until he's drunk. Symptoms of his cirrhosis are his eyes are turning yellow, his teeth are falling out, he has extreme weight loss, and purple-looking skin on his face.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.