Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Tiffanybrooke, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I spent 34 wonderful years with my brother which was a great person his only problem was he was a terrible alcoholic. In March my brother found out he had cirrhosis of the liver and hepatitis C. He turned yellow and greenish tint and hid all of his symptoms from us. I think because he was ashamed. He couldn't even walk in the end and was told he had a year left to live. He spent the next remaining months in the hospital, ICU mainly! Throwing up blood, no appetite, etc. This is a terrible way to die! He was told to not take any over the counter medicine even if he got a headache. Well, he took an Aleve and his kidneys shut down and lived the last two months of his life on dialysis. He was a 35-year-old man dying confined to a wheelchair. He left a precious 20-month-old daughter behind that will never remember her father! If you are struggling or know someone struggling with this terrible disease please don't put yourself and love ones through this. It's a terrible way to go! I watched my brother die!

Comment from: pllfngr7, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I am 34 years old, and I went to the emergency room about week ago for extreme stomach pain. I had occasionally vomited blood; I believed it was an ulcer. I didn't think anything about the dark color of my stool, except that I haven't made a solid bowel movement in months, if not a year. I figured it was all related to my ulcer problem. Boy was I wrong. At the ER, I underwent an ultrasound and three CT scans. I have been a heavy drinker since I was about 16 years old. The CT scan revealed my ulcer, which was no surprise, and then the ER doctor asked me to sit down. I did, and he then revealed to me that I have cirrhosis of the liver. He told me in the best case, I have 17 to 24 months to live. Since I don't have insurance, this is my fate. My hands are shaking as I type this. Sorry, I just can't believe that I have just been given an expiration date like what's on a battery or a gallon of milk. The only thing I can say to this is: If you have children and they like to party like I did, please inform them of the fate that might be in store for them.

Comment from: Timonopoly, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My sister just passed the day before Thanksgiving of 2013. She was very ill for about two weeks prior to this but never went to the doctor. She has been an alcoholic for many years. When I drove down to where she was staying, they were investigating and said she was still inside and she looked real bad and had a very swollen stomach. The EMT (emergency medical technician) stated he thought she died from a G.I. (gastrointestinal) bleed. They did an autopsy because of her age (45) and found she died of natural causes with the underlying issues of cirrhosis of the liver.

Comment from: Bartolomew, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I quit drinking over a year ago. After a month of not drinking, I was still not feeling really good, so I went to get a physical examination. The physical showed low blood platelets. Then I went through the tests to determine the cause. After CT scans, bone marrow extraction, etc. it was determined that I had liver disease. I am on transplant list, but MELD (model for end-stage liver disease) score has dropped. I have no sense of feeling out of it mentally. I'm more tired though. I have learned to relax and clear life of distractions. I am just on water pills and watch my diet. So I guess I'm lucky we caught it when we did. I have absolutely no interest in ever drinking again, by the way.

Comment from: Em, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I am 32 years old and cannot remember a day when my mother did not have at least one drink. The summer of 2008, she was diagnosed with hepatitis C and cirrhosis of the liver. She experienced rapid weight loss, jaundice, weakness, swelling in her legs, redness of her hands and feet, and lethargy. Even after her diagnosis, she continued to drink. She has since stopped drinking; however, the damage has been done. My days consist of shuffling my mom to and from different doctor appointments to treat the different ailments that keep arising from her cirrhosis. Now that sobriety has set in, she can understand the consequences of her actions. It is a shame that she has come to awareness too little too late. My advice is this: Pay attention to your body, get regular check-ups, and if you suspect something is wrong with your liver, insist on a blood test. It only takes one test to see if there is a problem. Early detection and treatment is essential to living a long life.

Comment from: wife, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband is 65 and was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. He has drank since he was 12. Since he retired early because he has pulmonary fibrosis, he drinks from morning to night and sometimes doesn't eat all day. I noticed that he has kind of bruising that looks like just blood under the skin. He is tired a lot. Before he found the liver disease he was going to get on the transplant list for his lungs now that isn't an option.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.