Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: YellowSub, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I just turned 52. I was diagnosed with type II diabetes in April of 1999 and fatty liver disease in September of 1999. I tried my best to control my blood sugars and not have a lot of stress in my life but unfortunately I did not try hard enough. The fatty liver disease and uncontrolled blood sugars caused my liver to morph into non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver of which I was diagnosed in July of 2008. I was not monitored between 1999 and 2008, so I am unsure of how long I was actually in cirrhosis. Now, I have developed some of the classic symptoms such as water logged fingers and palms reddish in color. I look sick, I have enlarged spleen, two types of anemia, low CBC counts and I required 4 transfusions already this year, endoscopies to cauterize and/or band esophageal varices, extreme nausea, an ERCP (shunt in pancreas for pancreatitis), extreme sleepiness, high ammonia levels causing hepatic encephalopathy, itchiness and memory (short and long term) problems at times and then I am fine and can remember. I am sure I have not listed everything. The only thing that has not shown up yet is jaundice. I was a partyer in my 20's, but not every day. I stopped doing it in my late 20's way before the doctors found that I had diabetes type II and fatty liver disease. I can tell you this, being 40 lbs overweight and no glucose control has wreaked havoc on my liver and my body.

Comment from: dhirendra s., 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

My mother is suffering from colon cancer and she had an operation. The doctor prescribed her to take 8 cycles of chemotherapy but she had 4 cycles and 4 are left. In the meantime she has developed cirrhosis liver and the doctor says she will not be able to take the 4 cycles which are left.

Comment from: Clark, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I drank beer after work, and took extra strength Excedrin 3 or 4 times a day. I did this 7 days a week for 40 years. I started retaining fluid and had to have 8 to 10 liters pumped out every week. I almost died of liver cirrhosis, now no pills, beer or salt, and on a low sodium food. I think I'm going to be around for quite some time. I'm retired now, hope this helps.

Comment from: jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I do constantly fall ill, then suddenly one day it hit me out of the blue. That was 20 years ago back then, and they called it non-A non-B hepatitis. I know have stage 4 cirrhosis. I have no energy, but plenty of bills. Good luck to all the people with this medical problem.

Comment from: Tiffanybrooke, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I spent 34 wonderful years with my brother which was a great person his only problem was he was a terrible alcoholic. In March my brother found out he had cirrhosis of the liver and hepatitis C. He turned yellow and greenish tint and hid all of his symptoms from us. I think because he was ashamed. He couldn't even walk in the end and was told he had a year left to live. He spent the next remaining months in the hospital, ICU mainly! Throwing up blood, no appetite, etc. This is a terrible way to die! He was told to not take any over the counter medicine even if he got a headache. Well, he took an Aleve and his kidneys shut down and lived the last two months of his life on dialysis. He was a 35-year-old man dying confined to a wheelchair. He left a precious 20-month-old daughter behind that will never remember her father! If you are struggling or know someone struggling with this terrible disease please don't put yourself and love ones through this. It's a terrible way to go! I watched my brother die!

Comment from: pllfngr7, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I am 34 years old, and I went to the emergency room about week ago for extreme stomach pain. I had occasionally vomited blood; I believed it was an ulcer. I didn't think anything about the dark color of my stool, except that I haven't made a solid bowel movement in months, if not a year. I figured it was all related to my ulcer problem. Boy was I wrong. At the ER, I underwent an ultrasound and three CT scans. I have been a heavy drinker since I was about 16 years old. The CT scan revealed my ulcer, which was no surprise, and then the ER doctor asked me to sit down. I did, and he then revealed to me that I have cirrhosis of the liver. He told me in the best case, I have 17 to 24 months to live. Since I don't have insurance, this is my fate. My hands are shaking as I type this. Sorry, I just can't believe that I have just been given an expiration date like what's on a battery or a gallon of milk. The only thing I can say to this is: If you have children and they like to party like I did, please inform them of the fate that might be in store for them.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.