Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments

What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?

Comment from: DM, (Patient) Published: October 22

Cryptogenic cirrhosis of liver with acute GAVE (gastric antral vascular ectasia); that's my disease. I never tasted alcohol and am a pure vegetarian. Always been a goody two shoes. I have already undergone 8 APC (argon plasma coagulation) and several blood transfusions during the two years it was detected. The questions I ask myself why me! The pain some days is unbearable.

Comment from: BelieverNow, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My father was diagnosed with cirrhotic liver recently, with hepatitis C. No alcohol all his life. He tried Ayurvedic medicines and noticed immediate improvement. His stools became normal, he has more energy in getting up, improved AST/ALT levels etc. He also takes milk thistle 3 capsules a day (200 mg each). But, it was more after Ayurvedic medicine that he noticed physical improvement. He takes Sarvkalp Kwath and Totla Kwath daily twice a day on empty stomach. In addition, he takes pills of Punarnavadi Mandur and Udaramrit Vati. His doctor was surprised with results and asked him to continue with whatever he was doing. Thanks to Mother Nature that provides all needed for wellbeing.

Comment from: Jackie4867, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am currently undergoing treatment to control my immune system with Imuran, Entocort (I became very ill with prednisone), ursodiol ,Welchol to breakdown the fats and cholesterol, nadolol to control the hypertension in the portal vein, and Xifican to prevent the ammonia build up, and Prilosec to control the acids. It is definitely a struggle to take that many pills a day but it seems to be working in stabilizing the cirrhosis.

Comment from: Farrukh Hyder, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I was a chronic patient of hepatitis C then suddenly suffered from hematemesis (blood vomiting and dark black motions). Bandings were made in emergency and I luckily survived. Just 2 years back lab diagnosis declared me a patient of cirrhosis. I am now cured from hepatitis C and became to some extent healthier but cirrhosis exists. I take sodium and fat free diet now. I feel normal but get exhausted quickly while working for long.

Comment from: Leo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have cirrhosis and I refute the statement that we are terminally ill! I stopped drinking and smoking two years ago. I eat well, I exercise gently and I am happier and healthier than I have ever been. I also look younger and feel good apart from occasional fatigue. Two years ago I was dying. Don't be afraid, stop drinking, start living, the panic will pass, and you will be proud of yourself.

Comment from: soma, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My mother is 77 years old. In January this 2015, she developed ascites which was infected, i.e., spontaneous bacterial peritonitis. Tapping was done several times and she was discharged on 18th January. Encephalopathy developed on 1st February and subsequently she stopped taking food naturally and was fed through food pipe. Within next two days her system refused to take water and semisolids through food tube. She used to shiver with acute pain which has been controlled by medicine for the time being. I wonder if anybody else suffering through liver cirrhosis has experienced such pain.

Comment from: Charles, 65-74 (Patient) Published: June 12

I am 66 years old. In March of 2013 I woke up to find that I had been in the hospital for 3 months. I was in an oxygen tent and was told that I had died twice. I don't remember those 3 months. I was transferred to a Veterans Hospital for 9 more months. After I was hospitalized for a total of one year I was told that I had cirrhosis. I was discharged. I was sent home. I am so sick that I can barely get out of bed. When I do get out of bed it is to get into my wheel chair. I have the symptoms of alcoholic cirrhosis. I drank for fifty years. It is a self-inflected wound. I bought Immune Force, a supplement to enhance the immune system. I do not know what else to do. I feel like I am being written off because of my age.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.