Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments

What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?

Comment from: Jackie4867, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am currently undergoing treatment to control my immune system with Imuran, Entocort (I became very ill with prednisone), ursodiol ,Welchol to breakdown the fats and cholesterol, nadolol to control the hypertension in the portal vein, and Xifican to prevent the ammonia build up, and Prilosec to control the acids. It is definitely a struggle to take that many pills a day but it seems to be working in stabilizing the cirrhosis.

Comment from: rosamund, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My husband was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis of the liver about 7 years ago and was told if he did not stop drinking he would be dead within a year. Miraculously he stopped immediately and was somewhat better for a while. He had been drinking about 6 pints of beer a day then later strong cider in large amounts. He became very exhausted and weak and was also diagnosed with COPD from asbestosis contracted it seems when he was nearly 17 years and worked in a nuclear lab for 6 months. Now he is getting much weaker with general arthritic like pain and of course breathless. Not much appetite but he's not losing weight. He also has a heart condition which is long standing and confused the doctors. I don't know how to help him other than trying to get him to cut down on the junk food and have some healthy food and caring for him generally. The pain is difficult as the painkillers can be lethal for patients with liver disease especially NSAIDs. He takes some paracetamol only, even that must be restricted.

Comment from: R.I.P. Mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 06

My mother was 48 when she was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. By the time we found it, they told us she had six months and unfortunately she passed one day before six months. She would get paracentesis (draining fluid from the abdomen) on a regular basis. Also a natural medication I found that really helped her was milk thistle.

Comment from: HOPE, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My mother died on August 13, 2013. She had cirrhosis. She did not get cirrhosis from alcohol consumption; she got it from a fatty liver. The gene from a fatty liver can be inherited. She was on a strict diet plan where she had to have at least 80 grams of protein a day and no more than 2000 grams of sodium. I avoided giving her anything with sodium because of fluid built up in her legs.

Comment from: Marcella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver 3 years ago and had turned yellow, throwing up blood and fluid in the abdomen, swelling of ankles. I was told I would die; I was hospitalized for 3 weeks. I did not drink again and used all the meds they gave me to help with water retention, etc. I researched and found out how to eliminate salt from my diet, I walk 4 miles a day and try to live very healthy. I was just at my doctor's and my bili count is down to .01 and my liver is getting better. It will never be the same again but I live without any medication whatsoever. You can live with cirrhosis and feel pretty darn good. Not drinking is the biggest key. There is hope.

Comment from: pat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

For cirrhosis of liver, stop drinking, stop smoking, and take multivitamin daily. For diet, eat apples, low sodium (salt will increase itching), plenty of fluids, homemade chicken soup, low sodium or no sodium, no or little red meat, no caffeine (insomnia), and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. We are terminally ill.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.