Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments

What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?

Comment from: Lin, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

My 77 year old mother was diagnosed with cirrhosis 10 years ago. This past summer, it reared its hideous head and she almost experienced kidney failure. I take her to all her doctors' appointments, and she has to have a paracentisis done every two weeks. That's where they extract the fluid that builds up in her abdomen. It's sad because I know the inevitable is around the corner. My dad died of alcoholism-related cirrhosis and now my mom has it from either taking too many meds a long time ago, or from undetected hepatitis. My best to everyone struggling with this condition.

Comment from: pat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

For cirrhosis of liver, stop drinking, stop smoking, and take multivitamin daily. For diet, eat apples, low sodium (salt will increase itching), plenty of fluids, homemade chicken soup, low sodium or no sodium, no or little red meat, no caffeine (insomnia), and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. We are terminally ill.

Comment from: Jennifer, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My dad has cirrhosis of the liver due to alcoholism. I am 22 and no matter what I do, I cannot get him to quit drinking. He has been taken on life-flight and spent lots of time in the hospital and a nursing home. No one has really told me how much time he has. They just say he will die if he keeps drinking (and he does). He doesn"t have jaundice but he does have confusion and poor motility and fluid in the abdomen. I worry I will have to give up my life and schooling as he gets worse. I just wish my age and bright future motivated him to do better. Why can"t alcoholics realize what they"re doing like the rest of us can? I try not to get angry at him and just take care of him as he drinks himself to death but it"s so hard. Best case would be for him to seek help, quit drinking and die of old age or something less volatile years down the road. I hope for his turn around each day.

Comment from: krishnendu mukherjee, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My father is suffering from a chronic liver disease his liver is totally spoiled nothing can be done with it. The doctors are saying that it cannot be replaced also (liver transplant cannot be done at the moment) he is also having high jaundice with bilirubin 22. Everything else is well his kidneys are functioning well he responding us but the main problem is his liver.

Comment from: Ken, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I am suffering through the same thing as Marcela. I will give her lots of credit. I just want to know if staying on the diet worked, or if I should try walking too.

Comment from: shar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am in remission from lung cancer and have COPD and emphysema. I've had a cerebral aneurysm, have been diagnosed with early-stage cirrhosis, and also have the hepatitis C virus (HCV). I'd like to know if I be treated with HCV medications and if a liver wedge needs to be removed for a more positive diagnosis.

Comment from: drjudy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

I have a very rare drug poisoning that led to an activation of the stellate cells in my liver to form scar tissue, which is choking my liver to death. I have no underlying liver disease. The only thing that has kept me going for 20 years is seeing energy healers [usa and brazil] and doing the Chinese exercise healing called QiGong. Being a doctor, I infuse myself with 100 grams of albumin a month to prevent swelling and inject 20 mcg of IGF-1 twice to retain muscle mass, hair, skin, etc.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.