Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments

What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?

Comment from: Hard Working, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My wife has squamous cell cancer along with cirrhosis of the liver. Her skin and the whites of her eyes were bright yellow. She didn't know her whereabouts and she didn't recognize her own family. This went on for about 3 months until they got the right level of medications. Her personality has changed and she needs to be watched all the time. She was denied a transplant because of the cancer. Her liver doctor has said she has two years or less to live. I would like to read some more stories of other people's liver problems. Please write more.

Comment from: barb4264, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 03

Is there something you can do for the extreme weakness? My dad has just been diagnosed with Cirrhosis and has had extremely low iron. He has gone through five iron transfusions and this week had six liters of fluid removed from his belly. He feels pretty good, but is suffering from extreme weakness. He is 70 years old and has had numerous other health issues in the last 20 years. He has had a number of balloons and stents and had a triple bypass 20 years ago. He had a small brain tumor they were able to laser and now this. He is so special and I want to do anything I can to help him feel better.

Comment from: Kahleengosselin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver about 7 months ago. I am now a recovering alcoholic. I associated alcohol with food. If I made Italian, there was a bottle of red wine on the table, Mexican / margaritas, etc. So, I've done this to myself, a habitual foodie/alcoholic. I am now waiting to be put on a transplant list, just have to get my supplementary insurance approved. This disease is a terrible disease. I also have fluid, lots of it, in my abdomen. My gastrointestinal doctor is treating it with diuretics for the time being, but I haven't seen a change in the size of my very extended abdomen, but am hoping I soon will. I wish all of you the best in your fight with cirrhosis.

Comment from: KIM, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

I have just found out my friend has cirrhosis from years of heavy drinking. She is yellow, always tired and coughs up blood clots. She has not touched alcohol now for 10 years but just seems to get sicker. It's terrible to see what alcohol can do.

Comment from: concern sister, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 29

My brother was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver a few years ago, due to drinking alcohol. When he was stabbed in November his cirrhosis progressed faster. He takes furosemide and a diuretic but his abdomen is getting bigger and he has swelling in the legs. He has to sleep sitting up. The doctors gave him 6 months to a year to live if he doesn't have a transplant. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I guess I can have them drain the abdomen, he hardly can walk he gets tired very easily.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.