Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments

What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?

Comment from: shar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am in remission from lung cancer and have COPD and emphysema. I've had a cerebral aneurysm, have been diagnosed with early-stage cirrhosis, and also have the hepatitis C virus (HCV). I'd like to know if I be treated with HCV medications and if a liver wedge needs to be removed for a more positive diagnosis.

Comment from: drjudy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

I have a very rare drug poisoning that led to an activation of the stellate cells in my liver to form scar tissue, which is choking my liver to death. I have no underlying liver disease. The only thing that has kept me going for 20 years is seeing energy healers [usa and brazil] and doing the Chinese exercise healing called QiGong. Being a doctor, I infuse myself with 100 grams of albumin a month to prevent swelling and inject 20 mcg of IGF-1 twice to retain muscle mass, hair, skin, etc.

Comment from: Rosemary, 55-64 Female Published: May 17

My uncle had cirrhosis of the Liver. He also had haemochromatosis. His liver made too much iron. He VERY rarely drank alcohol at all, cirrhosis is usually caused by alcohol. My uncle ate a LOT of BEETROOT which a professor said possibly contibuted to both problems. He used to go to hospital regularly for them to actually "remove" blood to lower iron levels. Unfortunately his blood could not be used for blood transfusions for others. The professor and his associates did many years of research and discovered there is sometimes both medical conditions involved. Because of this he also developed heart and diabetes problems. When levels became under control unassisted for a length of time heart and diabetes were no longer a problem. However, he eventually died from Liver Cancer.

Comment from: Hard Working, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My wife has squamous cell cancer along with cirrhosis of the liver. Her skin and the whites of her eyes were bright yellow. She didn't know her whereabouts and she didn't recognize her own family. This went on for about 3 months until they got the right level of medications. Her personality has changed and she needs to be watched all the time. She was denied a transplant because of the cancer. Her liver doctor has said she has two years or less to live. I would like to read some more stories of other people's liver problems. Please write more.

Comment from: barb4264, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 03

Is there something you can do for the extreme weakness? My dad has just been diagnosed with Cirrhosis and has had extremely low iron. He has gone through five iron transfusions and this week had six liters of fluid removed from his belly. He feels pretty good, but is suffering from extreme weakness. He is 70 years old and has had numerous other health issues in the last 20 years. He has had a number of balloons and stents and had a triple bypass 20 years ago. He had a small brain tumor they were able to laser and now this. He is so special and I want to do anything I can to help him feel better.

Comment from: Kahleengosselin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver about 7 months ago. I am now a recovering alcoholic. I associated alcohol with food. If I made Italian, there was a bottle of red wine on the table, Mexican / margaritas, etc. So, I've done this to myself, a habitual foodie/alcoholic. I am now waiting to be put on a transplant list, just have to get my supplementary insurance approved. This disease is a terrible disease. I also have fluid, lots of it, in my abdomen. My gastrointestinal doctor is treating it with diuretics for the time being, but I haven't seen a change in the size of my very extended abdomen, but am hoping I soon will. I wish all of you the best in your fight with cirrhosis.

Comment from: KIM, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

I have just found out my friend has cirrhosis from years of heavy drinking. She is yellow, always tired and coughs up blood clots. She has not touched alcohol now for 10 years but just seems to get sicker. It's terrible to see what alcohol can do.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.