Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments

What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?

Comment from: Jennifer, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My dad has cirrhosis of the liver due to alcoholism. I am 22 and no matter what I do, I cannot get him to quit drinking. He has been taken on life-flight and spent lots of time in the hospital and a nursing home. No one has really told me how much time he has. They just say he will die if he keeps drinking (and he does). He doesn"t have jaundice but he does have confusion and poor motility and fluid in the abdomen. I worry I will have to give up my life and schooling as he gets worse. I just wish my age and bright future motivated him to do better. Why can"t alcoholics realize what they"re doing like the rest of us can? I try not to get angry at him and just take care of him as he drinks himself to death but it"s so hard. Best case would be for him to seek help, quit drinking and die of old age or something less volatile years down the road. I hope for his turn around each day.

Comment from: Miranda, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: April 12

My husband was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis about four years ago. He had been drinking beer regularly, then cider for years in quite large amounts -- about 6 pints or more a day. Upon getting the diagnosis, he stopped drinking all alcohol and improved somewhat in the liver function. He had some problems with build-up of abdominal fluid, which was helped by the use of diuretics (spironolactone and furosemide) and restricting dietary salt. He has a lot of arthritic-like pain and feels exhausted all the time. He is very weak. He is over 70, but we must try to keep him going against the odds.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am a 38 year old wife and mother of three young boys. They are 7, 8 and 10. I have severe cirrhosis of the liver. When I was 10 years old I was diagnosed with autoimmune liver disease. I have been on several medications all my life. By the time I was 17 the disease had already progressed to cirrhosis. I have been very blessed in that I have had 21 years of relatively good health. I consider myself extra blessed because doctors told me I would probably not be able to have children. I have had 3 and they are all healthy. I am now suffering with fluid retention, constant vomiting, weight loss, confusion, and strange sleep patterns that keep me from quality time with my boys. It breaks my heart that they have to watch their mother go through this. I am awaiting a transplant and am praying that happens before they lose me.

Comment from: dfison49, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I have recently been diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver from undetected hepatitis. I have been going to the ER twice a week where they take the fluid out of my abdomen, removing four gallons a week. My muscles are deteriorating rapidly, and I have lost 45 pounds. They say my enzymes are not bad enough to be able to get a liver transplant. I am a 61-year-old male, otherwise in good health.

Comment from: Lin, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

My 77 year old mother was diagnosed with cirrhosis 10 years ago. This past summer, it reared its hideous head and she almost experienced kidney failure. I take her to all her doctors' appointments, and she has to have a paracentisis done every two weeks. That's where they extract the fluid that builds up in her abdomen. It's sad because I know the inevitable is around the corner. My dad died of alcoholism-related cirrhosis and now my mom has it from either taking too many meds a long time ago, or from undetected hepatitis. My best to everyone struggling with this condition.

Comment from: krishnendu mukherjee, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My father is suffering from a chronic liver disease his liver is totally spoiled nothing can be done with it. The doctors are saying that it cannot be replaced also (liver transplant cannot be done at the moment) he is also having high jaundice with bilirubin 22. Everything else is well his kidneys are functioning well he responding us but the main problem is his liver.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.