Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments

What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?

Comment from: soma, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My mother is 77 years old. In January this 2015, she developed ascites which was infected, i.e., spontaneous bacterial peritonitis. Tapping was done several times and she was discharged on 18th January. Encephalopathy developed on 1st February and subsequently she stopped taking food naturally and was fed through food pipe. Within next two days her system refused to take water and semisolids through food tube. She used to shiver with acute pain which has been controlled by medicine for the time being. I wonder if anybody else suffering through liver cirrhosis has experienced such pain.

Comment from: Charles, 65-74 (Patient) Published: June 12

I am 66 years old. In March of 2013 I woke up to find that I had been in the hospital for 3 months. I was in an oxygen tent and was told that I had died twice. I don't remember those 3 months. I was transferred to a Veterans Hospital for 9 more months. After I was hospitalized for a total of one year I was told that I had cirrhosis. I was discharged. I was sent home. I am so sick that I can barely get out of bed. When I do get out of bed it is to get into my wheel chair. I have the symptoms of alcoholic cirrhosis. I drank for fifty years. It is a self-inflected wound. I bought Immune Force, a supplement to enhance the immune system. I do not know what else to do. I feel like I am being written off because of my age.

Comment from: rosamund, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My husband was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis of the liver about 7 years ago and was told if he did not stop drinking he would be dead within a year. Miraculously he stopped immediately and was somewhat better for a while. He had been drinking about 6 pints of beer a day then later strong cider in large amounts. He became very exhausted and weak and was also diagnosed with COPD from asbestosis contracted it seems when he was nearly 17 years and worked in a nuclear lab for 6 months. Now he is getting much weaker with general arthritic like pain and of course breathless. Not much appetite but he's not losing weight. He also has a heart condition which is long standing and confused the doctors. I don't know how to help him other than trying to get him to cut down on the junk food and have some healthy food and caring for him generally. The pain is difficult as the painkillers can be lethal for patients with liver disease especially NSAIDs. He takes some paracetamol only, even that must be restricted.

Comment from: R.I.P. Mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 06

My mother was 48 when she was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. By the time we found it, they told us she had six months and unfortunately she passed one day before six months. She would get paracentesis (draining fluid from the abdomen) on a regular basis. Also a natural medication I found that really helped her was milk thistle.

Comment from: HOPE, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My mother died on August 13, 2013. She had cirrhosis. She did not get cirrhosis from alcohol consumption; she got it from a fatty liver. The gene from a fatty liver can be inherited. She was on a strict diet plan where she had to have at least 80 grams of protein a day and no more than 2000 grams of sodium. I avoided giving her anything with sodium because of fluid built up in her legs.

Comment from: Marcella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver 3 years ago and had turned yellow, throwing up blood and fluid in the abdomen, swelling of ankles. I was told I would die; I was hospitalized for 3 weeks. I did not drink again and used all the meds they gave me to help with water retention, etc. I researched and found out how to eliminate salt from my diet, I walk 4 miles a day and try to live very healthy. I was just at my doctor's and my bili count is down to .01 and my liver is getting better. It will never be the same again but I live without any medication whatsoever. You can live with cirrhosis and feel pretty darn good. Not drinking is the biggest key. There is hope.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.