Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience

Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.

Comment from: Son John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I am a Marine, I was stationed at a place where I was exposed to benzene. The water source was tainted. I have cirrhosis of the liver. I was told that I had 2 weeks to a month to live. I drank but not in excess. That was 3 years ago. I drink lots of water and take vitamins. The Veterans Affairs (VA) will not recognize this as being their fault. The State of North Carolina does and passed laws but they can only do so much. The VA is covering all my medical but I can no longer work and they refuse to grant me a pension. I am on social security. I suffer from neuropathy, arthritis and many other ailments affiliated with cirrhosis. I am getting a hip replacement 2/4/2016. I am 58 years old. I believe the VA should help. I can no longer drink or be carefree. I can no longer work. I have no spare money and the possibility of finding a girlfriend is not looking good. So on top of my ailments I am alone and depressed. It is not fair.

Comment from: awilson70, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 11

My husband of 24 years has cirrhosis from years of drinking. He is now in total liver failure and his kidney function is at 40 percent. He has been hospitalized 8 times in 6 months because he is so sick. He has weekly belly taps, and bottles upon bottles of medicines. His mother is now caring for him full time since he needed a home care worker. He will be eligible for a liver transplant in 5 more months if he stays sober and if he survives.

Comment from: who, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I am in stage 3 to 4 cirrhosis of the liver. I have hepatitis C and went through the injection treatment 11 years ago. Recently I found out its back. I hope for more treatment in 6 to 8 weeks. I have dark urine and unsettled stomach. I am 58 years old, better start living life.

Comment from: Michwebmd, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

My best friend has cirrhosis of the liver and never drank. It is fatty liver cirrhosis, as she always ate fattening foods, from cakes to cereals, etc. She was always overweight, but not way overweight, like 250 for a 5 foot 7 girl. However, now that she has cirrhosis, her life is miserable. Her legs have swollen up, a lot of edema, her spleen is now enlarged, and her abdomen is enlarged. She has been trying to eat healthy, but it may be too late. It seems very scary.

Comment from: judygarland, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 25

My husband was diagnosed with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) about 8 years ago. Up until about 9 months ago, his condition was stable, taking ursodiol which seemed to help. However, he did not want to have a transplant when he was first diagnosed, thinking the cirrhosis would not progress. He also was unable to accept the dietary limitations for his PBC and also for his type 2 diabetes. He rewarded himself with Kentucky Fried Chicken at times. He also had a sweet tooth which was not very satisfied. Starting in early February, his abdomen became swollen and hard, but he ignored the symptoms and did not see a doctor. Unfortunately, when he finally did go for a medical workup, it was not possible for him to be put on a transplant list because a colonoscopy revealed a malignant tumor. He developed hepatic encephalopathy and hepatorenal syndrome. Toward the end, he was able to walk only with extreme difficulty and he was hospitalized several times, the last for two weeks in a local hospital. I hope that anyone who has received a diagnosis of cirrhosis, PBC or any other type, get regular medical checkups and realize that if your liver disease progresses, only a transplant will save your life. Don't ignore the signs and symptoms, you can't live without a liver.

Comment from: lou, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 17

My child was diagnosed a year and half ago with stage three cirrhosis of the liver, at 12 years old. The cause of her liver disease was diabetes, celiac disease and food allergies. It is a constant battle to make my child understand how serious this disease is and how to really maintain and try to make it better.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?