Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience

Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.

Comment from: temples, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 17

My grandfather will be 86 years old next month and he has been in the hospital now for 8 days. They seem to think that it"s cirrhosis of the liver. They drew 10.1 liters of fluid off his belly on Monday. He has been swelling up like a balloon since the end of January. The man never goes to the doctor and I"m terrified to find out how advanced it is. He has never taken a drink in his life so it"s not alcohol that would have caused this. He has always been a health freak by eating right and taking vitamins. They are testing him for hepatitis but if it isn"t hepatitis, what else could it be!

Comment from: Wiscowyo, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 06

My husband has cirrhosis and has had for more than 8 years. He has not stopped drinking, he is now sleeping a lot. When he drinks he falls, and his legs don"t work at all, he doesn"t make since when he talks anymore. I'm not sure if he is drunk or if his brain is soaked with alcohol. He has been hospitalized twice now, and fluid have been taken off his stomach. This is an awful way to die, it is such a slow death, and being the caretaker, I can say it is killing me slowly along with it. How much longer can he keep going! Last time he was in the hospital two months ago, his liver function was at 283, should have been at 0 - 40 for normal.

Comment from: jose2187, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 19

I am a 26 year old male. Basically since I was fourteen I've been drinking sometimes heavy and sometimes not. Anyway for the last 2 years I knew something was wrong, I was always sick and I would drink to cover it up so I wouldn't feel pain. This went on up until April of this year. April 23rd I was of course doing my regular drinking 40oz of malt liquor, I don't remember but I guess I was losing consciousness. So I was taken to the emergency room. Long story short I got out 9 days later and my abdomen was filled with fluid and I had a tube hanging out of my stomach for my gallbladder. Going through all the sickness I finally got insurance and went to see a gastroenterologist. He confirmed what was basically already known I kind of already faced the facts, that I have alcohol liver cirrhosis. I was told I would need a transplant In about 4 or less years so right now I'm waiting to go to the transplant hospital on January 21st, actually my 27th birthday... and run tests and all that stuff. So I just wanted to say if you have younger kids try and keep them from drinking because look at me, I'm dying at 26 from partying, thinking I knew it all. Also it is better to be aware of all the signs in your own lives, if your body starts not functioning as well, I would get checked.

Comment from: deekshit, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 17

My aunt is suffering from chronic rheumatoid arthritis (RA) since 18 years and now about 3 years back she diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. Her symptoms are heavy hair fall, weight loss, red color urine, frequent headache, loss of appetite, jaundice, and gum bleeding.

Comment from: lana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had hepatitis C for 12 years and it turned into cirrhosis of the liver. I have been put on Pegatron.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?