Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes

What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?

Comment from: kayrakaye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis after eliminating other types of hepatitis that could cause the liver cirrhosis. I had a liver biopsy that had to be reviewed by a specialist after the first lab wasn't able to definitively confirm AIH.

Comment from: 2 years sober, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I drank beer since age sixteen. I was drinking four 40 oz. cans a day easy. I got cirrhosis at age 40. This ruined my life but 2 years I've been clean. Also I quit smoking cigarettes. I still feel bad every day I wish we knew more, for this alcohol is no joke. I kicked a bad methamphetamine habit easier than alcohol.

Comment from: kelly2001, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

I have been with my fiance/husband/boyfriend for 10 plus years now. He began drinking at a very early age; when he was 14. A couple of years ago, he went into the hospital and was told he was borderline cirrhosis. He would drink pints of vodka, daily. After that hospital visit, he did not touch vodka again but did continue to drink beer, Lime-A-Rita and wine and would sneak small bottles of Fireball whiskey (I found stashes of them in lots of places). A few months ago, I could not take anymore. He was not himself anymore, could not remember things and would have the most off sleeping schedules. He could not hold a job. He had an ulcer on his foot that constantly bled and would not heal. He lost all his muscle and was pretty much skeletal with a huge stomach due to ascites. His eyes were so yellow as well as his skin. He was on the verge of death. I made him go to the emergency room (ER). I was at my wits' end. He was admitted and was there for a week. He was given lactulose to bring his ammonia levels down. He had hepatic encephalopathy (HE). Three liters of fluid was removed. He was diagnosed with cirrhosis, a mass on his liver, and his platelet count was so low they had to give him blood, plasma and platelets just to be able to do the endoscopy to see if he had varices in his esophagus (which, thankfully, he did not but he did have 3 ulcers). His bloodwork was of a 55 year old man, not a 35 year old. His is still unable to work, but, is slowly getting better. His doctor told him that if he drinks anymore, he will die. But, if he does not drink anymore, then he has a good chance at a semi normal life. Also, if the need for a transplant does arrive, then he has to be alcohol free for at least 6 months to a year. He was warned many times to stop drinking, had even went to a rehabilitation at one time, but he did not, and now it has pretty much taken his life. It is a daily uphill battle for him now.

Comment from: hazydays44, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis 2 years ago. I have cirrhosis from being morbidly obese. I never drank alcohol.

Comment from: Bubbles, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 10

I believe my husband has a liver disorder and I cannot get this intelligent man to seek help. He is 55 years old and had used street drugs from the age of 12 until he was 25. He drank heavily which seemed to increase through the years and a usual night was 12 beers, a pint of rum and Jagerbombs. He has worked for the same man for 35 years but has recently been demoted so I suspect his brain function is impaired. He had testicular cancer in 2001 and shortly before that he had back surgery where he was given hydrocodone. He has abused that drug to the tune of $20k a year since and now his urine is dark. Am I on the right path thinking he has damaged his liver?

Comment from: slowtowalk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

Hepatitis C was the cause of cirrhosis of the liver; 30 years now. I'm undetected, but the toll on the liver has increased. I guess I'm lucky I had 30 years.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.