Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes

What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?

Comment from: Bubbles, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 10

I believe my husband has a liver disorder and I cannot get this intelligent man to seek help. He is 55 years old and had used street drugs from the age of 12 until he was 25. He drank heavily which seemed to increase through the years and a usual night was 12 beers, a pint of rum and Jagerbombs. He has worked for the same man for 35 years but has recently been demoted so I suspect his brain function is impaired. He had testicular cancer in 2001 and shortly before that he had back surgery where he was given hydrocodone. He has abused that drug to the tune of $20k a year since and now his urine is dark. Am I on the right path thinking he has damaged his liver?

Comment from: dorothy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis, 6 months ago. Alcohol caused it. At that time my life was messed up and I started to drink. For years this was my daily routine. I am Stage 4.

Comment from: nottogood, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

My husband cirrhosis of the liver was alcohol. He started by losing large masses of muscles. Then weight loss. Falls were frequent. He had to start using a cane because of poor mobility. He now has ascites, edema in his legs, slurred speech. He has no tolerance for cold drinks and can only eat small amounts of food. His legs and feet have turned red like a sunburn. He has frequent bowel movements. In general his health is very poor.

Comment from: Brian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I was diagnosed at age 40. I was a heavy drinker. I have hemochromatosis and had hepatitis C, which was cured thanks to interferon. I am now 53 don't drink anymore. I do the blood-letting for hemochromatosis and get ultrasounds every six months. Everything right now is good.

Comment from: drjudy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

This is probably the most unusual case you ever read. I had Steven's Johnson syndrome as a result of the antibiotic Ceftin. All my hair fell out and my scalp became colonized with impetigo (Staph). I am a physician and was a hospital pathologist at that time. I used a strong solution of Minoxodil and Retin-A (Tretinoin) to regrow my hair. Big mistake, the Tretinoin got systemically absorbed and caused a type of liver cirrhosis that looks like vitamin a induced cirrhosis on the labs and under the microscope.

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with NASH, non-alcoholic cirrhosis 2.5 years ago when I woke up vomiting blood and not very coherent. I was rushed to the Emergency room by my husband and daughter, I had 6 Pints of blood put in me and a TIPS / stent was placed in my varices to keep me from having another episode. I go to a Liver Clinic every 6 months for MRIs and Blood work, I was sent by my Gastro for a Liver Transplant, but so far my MELD blood work is at 8, so it has remained stable and I don't need one now.

Comment from: VSelo, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My mother had about 6-8 drinks daily (at least). She started by having frequent falls, fatty liver and then within days she was dead of liver failure. It's no laughing matter, but to get an alcoholic to stop drinking is hard. Take this very seriously folks.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.