Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes

What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?

Comment from: chapril, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I have external hemorrhoids. Not sure if I have internal ones. Lately when I shower and use hot water to wash the soap away I bleed really badly. That is the only time. The hemorrhoids shrink but do not go away. I am getting concerned because the amount of blood is staggering. I never have any pain, itching, etc., just the swollen hemorrhoids and the bleeding. I have to stand in the shower until finally I take a towel and cover the area so I can rinse down the shower and get out of it to dry. I am on Plavix so that may be the excess, but boy, it is getting scary. I am going to call my gastroenterologist on Monday.

Comment from: suew, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 06

My partner of 24 years and father of my 2 kids contracted the hepatitis C virus after a car accident when he was 21 years of age and given a blood transfusion which was tainted. He was given 20 years to live with the hepatitis C virus. It is now 24 years later and he has chronic liver disease. Since September last year he kept getting fluid in his lower legs and a bloated stomach. He drank a lot since he had injured his shoulder in February last year and had not been able to work at all. Enter February 2016 where he was rushed to hospital with fluid on his stomach at a dangerous level and variances in his esophagus (one still needs to be removed in case it ruptures and he bleeds to death). No cancer so far which is fantastic but there has been lots of fogginess, tiredness, and sleeping for 2 hour periods. He has not touched a drop of alcohol for 4 months now. He has been in hospital at least every 2 weeks having taps to drain the fluid and lately having abdomen pains which ends in him not being able to use his bladder or bowel properly. He is going to start antibiotics on Friday to clear this up and hopefully he will not get fluid retention as much. He takes fluid tablets, multivitamins, Harvoni (which is a new hepatitis C medicine) which I hope works and will help with some of his liver functions. He also has other tablets too and I think now is on about 7 altogether. Tonight at the specialists they said that he might have 10 years if he is lucky without a liver transplant, but then with transplants there is still the worry of side effects and rejection. I am hoping that once the medications are worked out properly which seem to change every time his body brings up a new problem that he can lead a fairly good life. I wonder if anyone else who cares for someone going through this, experiences anger from them. My partner told me to leave him, that I am lazy, and don't care for him properly. He seems to get very frustrated at the slightest thing and I have a feeling that it is the illness. Some days are really hard when you love someone going through this sort of thing. I hope that everyone on here can get some sort of life they can live happily with.

Comment from: kayrakaye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis after eliminating other types of hepatitis that could cause the liver cirrhosis. I had a liver biopsy that had to be reviewed by a specialist after the first lab wasn't able to definitively confirm AIH.

Comment from: 2 years sober, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I drank beer since age sixteen. I was drinking four 40 oz. cans a day easy. I got cirrhosis at age 40. This ruined my life but 2 years I've been clean. Also I quit smoking cigarettes. I still feel bad every day I wish we knew more, for this alcohol is no joke. I kicked a bad methamphetamine habit easier than alcohol.

Comment from: kelly2001, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

I have been with my fiance/husband/boyfriend for 10 plus years now. He began drinking at a very early age; when he was 14. A couple of years ago, he went into the hospital and was told he was borderline cirrhosis. He would drink pints of vodka, daily. After that hospital visit, he did not touch vodka again but did continue to drink beer, Lime-A-Rita and wine and would sneak small bottles of Fireball whiskey (I found stashes of them in lots of places). A few months ago, I could not take anymore. He was not himself anymore, could not remember things and would have the most off sleeping schedules. He could not hold a job. He had an ulcer on his foot that constantly bled and would not heal. He lost all his muscle and was pretty much skeletal with a huge stomach due to ascites. His eyes were so yellow as well as his skin. He was on the verge of death. I made him go to the emergency room (ER). I was at my wits' end. He was admitted and was there for a week. He was given lactulose to bring his ammonia levels down. He had hepatic encephalopathy (HE). Three liters of fluid was removed. He was diagnosed with cirrhosis, a mass on his liver, and his platelet count was so low they had to give him blood, plasma and platelets just to be able to do the endoscopy to see if he had varices in his esophagus (which, thankfully, he did not but he did have 3 ulcers). His bloodwork was of a 55 year old man, not a 35 year old. His is still unable to work, but, is slowly getting better. His doctor told him that if he drinks anymore, he will die. But, if he does not drink anymore, then he has a good chance at a semi normal life. Also, if the need for a transplant does arrive, then he has to be alcohol free for at least 6 months to a year. He was warned many times to stop drinking, had even went to a rehabilitation at one time, but he did not, and now it has pretty much taken his life. It is a daily uphill battle for him now.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.