Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes

What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I have had diagnosed staph 3 times. Two were MRSA. First time I was 5, living in Florida. Running around barefoot, I stepped on a sand spur, and next day my foot was swollen, red, and hot to touch and hurt. Third day I had boils on my leg. I was placed in hospital where I was given IV antibiotics and they lanced and drained the boils twice a day. Yes, all 11 boils and cut out the infected area on my arch. Second time was a dog bite on my left hand at age 50. I'm a nurse, so of course I doctored it myself. It happened on a Sunday. By Friday my hand was inflamed, and oozing pus from the two puncture wounds on my hand. I had been soaking in hot water with Clorox added, pouring peroxide on wounds and rubbing antibiotic ointment on, along with oral antibiotic. Didn't help. On my way to work, went by my doctor for oral medicines, she gave me a shot, and sent me to a hand specialist at Urgent Care. They of course decided I should go to emergency department. So I was in hospital for 8 days. I had IV antibiotics, and three hand surgeries to open up and clean wound. Those hand wounds are so painful, and I was on pain medicines round the clock. Finally I got to go home. Third time I received a scratch on my right shin. Two days later I had staph infection. I had oral and ointment antibiotics. But I was wise, finally, I went to the doctor as soon as it developed heat and started oozing. Lo and behold, I am heading to the doctor this afternoon. My dog got me with her tooth when I was starting her IV fluids. Yep, right on my ring finger on right hand. I have been on oral and ointment antibiotics since it happened, but it is starting to get worse. I'm beginning to think some people are more prone to staph infection and MRSA than others and I must be one. I'm a clean person with clean surroundings and a healthy lifestyle.

Comment from: chapril, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I have external hemorrhoids. Not sure if I have internal ones. Lately when I shower and use hot water to wash the soap away I bleed really badly. That is the only time. The hemorrhoids shrink but do not go away. I am getting concerned because the amount of blood is staggering. I never have any pain, itching, etc., just the swollen hemorrhoids and the bleeding. I have to stand in the shower until finally I take a towel and cover the area so I can rinse down the shower and get out of it to dry. I am on Plavix so that may be the excess, but boy, it is getting scary. I am going to call my gastroenterologist on Monday.

Comment from: suew, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 06

My partner of 24 years and father of my 2 kids contracted the hepatitis C virus after a car accident when he was 21 years of age and given a blood transfusion which was tainted. He was given 20 years to live with the hepatitis C virus. It is now 24 years later and he has chronic liver disease. Since September last year he kept getting fluid in his lower legs and a bloated stomach. He drank a lot since he had injured his shoulder in February last year and had not been able to work at all. Enter February 2016 where he was rushed to hospital with fluid on his stomach at a dangerous level and variances in his esophagus (one still needs to be removed in case it ruptures and he bleeds to death). No cancer so far which is fantastic but there has been lots of fogginess, tiredness, and sleeping for 2 hour periods. He has not touched a drop of alcohol for 4 months now. He has been in hospital at least every 2 weeks having taps to drain the fluid and lately having abdomen pains which ends in him not being able to use his bladder or bowel properly. He is going to start antibiotics on Friday to clear this up and hopefully he will not get fluid retention as much. He takes fluid tablets, multivitamins, Harvoni (which is a new hepatitis C medicine) which I hope works and will help with some of his liver functions. He also has other tablets too and I think now is on about 7 altogether. Tonight at the specialists they said that he might have 10 years if he is lucky without a liver transplant, but then with transplants there is still the worry of side effects and rejection. I am hoping that once the medications are worked out properly which seem to change every time his body brings up a new problem that he can lead a fairly good life. I wonder if anyone else who cares for someone going through this, experiences anger from them. My partner told me to leave him, that I am lazy, and don't care for him properly. He seems to get very frustrated at the slightest thing and I have a feeling that it is the illness. Some days are really hard when you love someone going through this sort of thing. I hope that everyone on here can get some sort of life they can live happily with.

Comment from: kayrakaye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis after eliminating other types of hepatitis that could cause the liver cirrhosis. I had a liver biopsy that had to be reviewed by a specialist after the first lab wasn't able to definitively confirm AIH.

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments Question: What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience Question: Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.