Patient Comments: Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Treatments

What was your treatment for chronic rhinitis and/or post-nasal drip?

Comment from: anon, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with mild ulcerative colitis (UC) after going through a year of abdominal pain and misdiagnosis that caused me to lose an ovary. I rarely have diarrhea but have had a couple of accidents and they involved work as well as home. Mine is mostly constipation with left side gut wrenching abdominal pain and horrendous gas. Most of the time I can't tell anymore If I need to go or not, hence the accidents at work. I've noticed the worse the gas, the more the urgency seems to be. Which is the lesser of 2 evils, diarrhea or constipation! Being able to have a bowel movement or not for days to a week at a time. I have the fatigue, fevers, night sweats (thought that was due to menopause) and no appetite because I can't tell anymore if the pain is because I'm hungry or it is due to the UC, and I'm scared to ingest anything. I also developed internal hemorrhoids so even when I do get the chance to expel, I feel like my backside is on fire all the time. Thanks for talking about the mucus part. I didn't know about that and thought some weird things when I saw that because it was orange. I find lying down for a few hours and not moving, helps with the abdominal pain. I am also trying the probiotic trick. After 5 years I have learned which foods are a trigger for excessive pain and avoid those in my diet. The main one was red meat. Lately the other one has been dairy. I drink Silk now and there was an immediate difference. I'm glad I found this site.

Comment from: Sue, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 22

I developed trigeminal neuralgia in my late twenties/early thirties and was in a tremendous amount of pain, which worsened on lying down. Normal painkillers had no effect. The relief that came when prescribed Tegretol was immense but it always made me feel as though I was in another world! Almost like being under the influence of alcohol. Eventually I was found to have a dental abscess which it took a long time to diagnose. Once the tooth was removed the neuralgia went away. Over the years I have had milder spells which always seem related to dental problems.

Comment from: Enid, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My symptoms of internal bleeding are large purple bruises on arm, 3 inches by 2 inches gradually fading. I take Xarelto each day.

Comment from: Shapet, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I am 57 have had blocked sinuses and nasal drip for 40 years. I treat it with Rhinocort spray available over the counter in Australia. One spray up each nostril each day. If I don't do this I get a blocked sinus and a raging headache. When I get a cold this does not work and I end up with bronchitis and go to the doctor. This year I have been sick for 3 months and was prescribed Nasonex and an antibiotic. This is helping.

Comment from: Bev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have chronic idiopathic rhinitis. I got tested for allergies, with none detected. My ENT (ear nose throat) specialist prescribed ipratropium bromide nose spray. Folks, I call this stuff "liquid gold." It"s not harsh like drugstore nose sprays; it has no rebound effect, and it works. It dries up that persistent, clear postnasal drip. I've been using it for 4 years now, still just as effective. It"s prescription only, but people, I tell you, I don"t know what I"d do without it. It feels mild but it restores my nose to something resembling normal (not harshly dry, and not dripping).

Comment from: Aldo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I had a cough that would not go away, it started with a cold and lasted for 3 months. A friend suggested vitamin B5 pantothenic acid. I took the first tablet and noticed the cough disappeared within 20 minutes.

Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.
Chronic Rhinitis - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your case of post-drip or chronic rhinitis (for example, pollen, animal dander, other allergies)?
Chronic Rhinitis and Abnormal Nasal Secretions - Causes Question: Causes vary: what conditions caused your abnormal production of nasal secretions?
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating chronic rhinitis or post-nasal drip?