Patient Comments: Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Treatments

What was your treatment for chronic rhinitis and/or post-nasal drip?

Comment from: Bev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have chronic idiopathic rhinitis. I got tested for allergies, with none detected. My ENT (ear nose throat) specialist prescribed ipratropium bromide nose spray. Folks, I call this stuff "liquid gold." It"s not harsh like drugstore nose sprays; it has no rebound effect, and it works. It dries up that persistent, clear postnasal drip. I've been using it for 4 years now, still just as effective. It"s prescription only, but people, I tell you, I don"t know what I"d do without it. It feels mild but it restores my nose to something resembling normal (not harshly dry, and not dripping).

Comment from: nikol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I drank plenty of water and avoided eating oily or salty food. I never had late dinner or at least not after 6. After I changed my food intake symptoms are gone. Medications are not so good for the most sensitive part of your body. Drinking lots of water helps.

Comment from: christy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

The ENT doctor said I had chronic rhinitis. I am 70 year female. I've had the nasal drip as long as I can remember. I have burning, throat and keep clearing it. I am also blowing nose a lot. I have taken Nexium for it. I thought it was acid reflux but it isn't. I do the sinus washes with salt and warm water. It helps some. I know well how it affects your wellbeing. I use OTC Ayr saline nasal mist. I use this when I can't do sinus washes.

Comment from: aujax, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

I had severe coughing and nasal drip for years and finally figured out it was caused by the acid in coffee irritating my throat and acid reflux (the former was the bigger factor). The damage caused by the acid would make my throat vulnerable to illness and I would end up with bronchitis. I didn't want to give up coffee so I searched for and found something called Javacid. I add a little packet to each cup of coffee, though lately I don't need it because I also make sure to buy the lightest roast I can find (mild is the best = least acid). Once in a while I still use Omeprazole for the reflux as well. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: RobSoHArr, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I am a 47-year-old male who has suffered from horrific post-nasal drip for 5 years. It was diagnosed as vasomotor rhinitis. I was prescribed Beconase about 15 years ago which helped me a great deal for a while, but now doesn't seem to help much anymore. My new ENT has me trying Veramyst and using a nasal rinse. Neither one seem to be helping much either. Even my old standby, Sudafed, seems to be less effective. I am at my wit's end with the constant mucous drip. I do not have a stuffy nose. I am constantly clearing my throat and I'm sure my coworkers think I am some kind of freak because of it.

Comment from: winn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am a 61-year-old female. I had the breathing problem for about 10 years. At first, it was diagnosed as asthma, and the Chinese herbal medicine did me some good. Then the drip persists in the throat, and my ENT doctor prescribed Nasonex and the salt water spray to help the sinus problem.

Comment from: khara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am a 48 year old female. Long term smoker. I have sinus drainage down the back of my throat 2 - 5 days a week consistently as well as a runny nose and watery eyes. This really got bad last winter and has not yet changed. I've tried all the cold and allergy and mucus medications. Nothing works. This is ruining my health. I have severe gastritis and the drainage adds a lot of stomach pain. My stomach is extended to the point of me looking 5 or 6 months pregnant. I need help and don't know where to turn.

Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.
Chronic Rhinitis - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your case of post-drip or chronic rhinitis (for example, pollen, animal dander, other allergies)?
Chronic Rhinitis and Abnormal Nasal Secretions - Causes Question: Causes vary: what conditions caused your abnormal production of nasal secretions?
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating chronic rhinitis or post-nasal drip?