Patient Comments: Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Treatments

What was your treatment for chronic rhinitis and/or post-nasal drip?

Comment from: dhwgal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had what my family doctor and ear, nose and throat specialist referred to as "post nasal drip" for my whole childhood and most of my adult life. About 5 years ago I was tested for allergies and found out that is what the "post nasal" drip was all along! I am 42 years old and to think I could have been breathing better my whole life! I am on allergy medicine now plus nasal spray and feel 200% better

Comment from: Al, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I am 72 and have had post-nasal drip for about 10 years. Have had the surgery, have had all the nose sprays, have been to the "Specialist" at special medical schools, and a total of around 8 ENT's. None of them will get out of the box and all of them revert to allergy. I have been tested for allergies and have a seasonal one only. I have constant thick clear goop draining down my throat, keeps me awake every night. I do have sneezing attacks for a few minutes on occasion.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I am a 60 year old female, with chronic sinus issues all my life. I was on Dimetapp for years to prevent infections which really worked until I DEVELOPED high blood pressure and was told no decongestants. I stopped them for a while and have been chronically sick with sinus infections and chronic cough since. I take some Tynenol sinus which helps for 4 hrs and Ryocort spray for nose. I still have a chronic cough. Some days I DO WELL but most days a cough even when I try to talk.

Comment from: max, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have had a runny nose, post nasal drip, and a cough all my life. The severity varies for me at different times of the year. What works best for me is Benadryl at night and an antihistamine nasal spray in the morning. Get tested to see what you are allergic to. Usually it's dust and pollen. If you have thick mucus in the throat you can take a drug that thins the mucus. Generally, if the mucus is clear it's an allergy. If it has color it's an infection.

Comment from: Deb, Female Published: January 25

I have had PND since I was 17 I am now 48. I've had two sinus operations and have used numerous sprays over the years and nothing seems to work, I would never have an operation on my nose again. It's something I've learned to live with, one good thing is I don't suffer with bad breath so my husband tells me.

Comment from: clogdancer, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had chronic rhinitis on one nostril, post-nasal drip, and chronic cough for 20 years. I have seen doctors and ENT specialists but have not been given treatment. I can't take Sudafed because it conflicts with other medications.

Comment from: eski39, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I have suffered from chronic rhinitis for many years and began reading information about Turmeric (curcuma). I found that it has many properties including anti-inflammatory and others. I started taking turmeric mixed with milk and from the first week my sneezing stopped and I feel much better. I know this is not a cure, but certainly is great help after years asking for help.

Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.
Chronic Rhinitis - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your case of post-drip or chronic rhinitis (for example, pollen, animal dander, other allergies)?
Chronic Rhinitis and Abnormal Nasal Secretions - Causes Question: Causes vary: what conditions caused your abnormal production of nasal secretions?
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating chronic rhinitis or post-nasal drip?