Patient Comments: Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Treatments

What was your treatment for chronic rhinitis and/or post-nasal drip?

Comment from: Kel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My post-nasal drip turned out to be related to my GERD. I thought my GERD was under control and never thought it was causing my middle of the night coughing for the last two years. However, after allergy testing, many prescription and over the counter nasal and allergy medications that did not work, I read this article and tried Prilosec OTC and it worked! I don't cough in the middle of the night now!

Comment from: abeliever, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I am a 52 year old female, and about 1.5 years ago I had a bad cold and sinus infection. Since then, I have had chronic, excessive post nasal drip. I am constantly having to clear my throat, sometimes to the point of making it sore. I saw a specialist who tried several different medications that didn't help much. I was then allergy tested and found that I am allergic to dust, and dust mites. After taking measures to lessen my exposure to dust, and taking Zyrtec and Mucinex daily, I was starting to notice some improvement. Then for no apparent reason the last few weeks it is back in full force. I would blame it on an early spring, but when I was tested for allergies, I didn't have any reaction to the pollen they tested me for.

Comment from: Regina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was recently prescribed with Nasonex every 2 hours and Allegra once a day. I have one or two PND attacks every year for the last 10 or 12 years and this usually works.

Comment from: Sneezy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I am 31 years old male. I've been having chronic allergy which causes me to have watery eyes, post-nasal drip, and an itchy throat. I am allergic to dust, and a polluted area. I've been having this for 10 years and it's getting worse and could get worse. Been looking for treatment in the hospital, all I get was the same medicine which it didn't work for me. So hope I get the right treatment somehow, because I can't work properly all my life and I can't sleep well at night.

Comment from: eri Bee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I was suffering from chronic rhinitis. My symptoms were a yellow post nasal drip, clogged up sinuses that caused my teeth to ache in my mouth, persistent coughing that lead to a headache. I was prescribed Avelox (Moxifloxacin) antibiotics, a nose drop, Allegra D, a cough syrup and a nose drop.

Comment from: patricia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I got a cold (cough/flu) around January and somehow with the cough remedies like nasal spray-flucasone the flu disappeared it is end of February but I still had this irritating dry cough which is mostly bothersome at night. I was told it is a post-nasal drip, my doctor prescribed benzonatate capsules, nothing happened then omeprazole capsule which I take at bedtime no change still, I am coughing like there is no tomorrow I feel my stomach enlarging due to nonstop coughing and feeling so week. I am terrified at 44 years.

Comment from: TAR, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have had post nasal drip for about 2 years along with sinusitis on and off. I have had the headaches and the throat and eye irritation. I was having stomach problems so I started taking psyllium fiber. For some reason a few days after I started taking that all my sinus issues stopped. even the headaches.

Comment from: Jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I suffered from chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip for many years before my life-long brain tumor was diagnosed. It's a very rare situation, but if allergy pills don't work and you have progressive headaches, ask for a CT scan and/or MRI just in case. Two of my members (out of 7)who have had similar symptoms have also been treated for cancer. One is a 13-year Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor, the other a 3-year colon cancer survivor. I've also survived two bouts of invasive breast cancer. So, don't take it lightly if your symptom doesn't improve after treatment. I'd had doctors telling me to double my headache medicine or simply move to another part of the country where allergy problems are less severe. Glad I did not move.

Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.
Chronic Rhinitis - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your case of post-drip or chronic rhinitis (for example, pollen, animal dander, other allergies)?
Chronic Rhinitis and Abnormal Nasal Secretions - Causes Question: Causes vary: what conditions caused your abnormal production of nasal secretions?
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating chronic rhinitis or post-nasal drip?