Patient Comments: Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Treatments

What was your treatment for chronic rhinitis and/or post-nasal drip?

Comment from: nikol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I drank plenty of water and avoided eating oily or salty food. I never had late dinner or at least not after 6. After I changed my food intake symptoms are gone. Medications are not so good for the most sensitive part of your body. Drinking lots of water helps.

Comment from: christy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

The ENT doctor said I had chronic rhinitis. I am 70 year female. I've had the nasal drip as long as I can remember. I have burning, throat and keep clearing it. I am also blowing nose a lot. I have taken Nexium for it. I thought it was acid reflux but it isn't. I do the sinus washes with salt and warm water. It helps some. I know well how it affects your wellbeing. I use OTC Ayr saline nasal mist. I use this when I can't do sinus washes.

Comment from: aujax, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

I had severe coughing and nasal drip for years and finally figured out it was caused by the acid in coffee irritating my throat and acid reflux (the former was the bigger factor). The damage caused by the acid would make my throat vulnerable to illness and I would end up with bronchitis. I didn't want to give up coffee so I searched for and found something called Javacid. I add a little packet to each cup of coffee, though lately I don't need it because I also make sure to buy the lightest roast I can find (mild is the best = least acid). Once in a while I still use Omeprazole for the reflux as well. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: RobSoHArr, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I am a 47-year-old male who has suffered from horrific post-nasal drip for 5 years. It was diagnosed as vasomotor rhinitis. I was prescribed Beconase about 15 years ago which helped me a great deal for a while, but now doesn't seem to help much anymore. My new ENT has me trying Veramyst and using a nasal rinse. Neither one seem to be helping much either. Even my old standby, Sudafed, seems to be less effective. I am at my wit's end with the constant mucous drip. I do not have a stuffy nose. I am constantly clearing my throat and I'm sure my coworkers think I am some kind of freak because of it.

Comment from: khara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am a 48 year old female. Long term smoker. I have sinus drainage down the back of my throat 2 - 5 days a week consistently as well as a runny nose and watery eyes. This really got bad last winter and has not yet changed. I've tried all the cold and allergy and mucus medications. Nothing works. This is ruining my health. I have severe gastritis and the drainage adds a lot of stomach pain. My stomach is extended to the point of me looking 5 or 6 months pregnant. I need help and don't know where to turn.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I am a 59-year-old female who has suffered from horrific post-nasal drip for 30 years. It was diagnosed as vasomotor rhinitis. I was prescribed Beconase about 15 years ago which helped me a great deal for a while, but now doesn't seem to help much anymore. My new ENT has me trying Veramyst and using a nasal rinse. Neither one seem to be helping much either. Even my old standby, Sudafed, seems to be less effective. I am at my wit's end with the constant mucous drip. I do not have a stuffy nose. I am constantly clearing my throat and I'm sure my coworkers think I am some kind of freak because of it.

Comment from: gerdhater, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have GERD. I also have post-nasal drip. In my sleep I snort a lot. A week ago, I got a burning throat so bad that I made two trips to the ER where I was given a GI cocktail. I am taking Prilosec, Zantac and carafate four times daily, and I still have no relief. I don't have a stomach ache though. My throat simply feels as of it is on fire. The doctor said it was irritated. So, the next step is a scope to see what's going on.

Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.
Chronic Rhinitis - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your case of post-drip or chronic rhinitis (for example, pollen, animal dander, other allergies)?
Chronic Rhinitis and Abnormal Nasal Secretions - Causes Question: Causes vary: what conditions caused your abnormal production of nasal secretions?
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating chronic rhinitis or post-nasal drip?