Patient Comments: Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Treatments

What was your treatment for chronic rhinitis and/or post-nasal drip?

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I am a 59-year-old female who has suffered from horrific post-nasal drip for 30 years. It was diagnosed as vasomotor rhinitis. I was prescribed Beconase about 15 years ago which helped me a great deal for a while, but now doesn't seem to help much anymore. My new ENT has me trying Veramyst and using a nasal rinse. Neither one seem to be helping much either. Even my old standby, Sudafed, seems to be less effective. I am at my wit's end with the constant mucous drip. I do not have a stuffy nose. I am constantly clearing my throat and I'm sure my coworkers think I am some kind of freak because of it.

Comment from: gerdhater, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have GERD. I also have post-nasal drip. In my sleep I snort a lot. A week ago, I got a burning throat so bad that I made two trips to the ER where I was given a GI cocktail. I am taking Prilosec, Zantac and carafate four times daily, and I still have no relief. I don't have a stomach ache though. My throat simply feels as of it is on fire. The doctor said it was irritated. So, the next step is a scope to see what's going on.

Comment from: RealpersonUsa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

For months had itchy eyes throat and ears. Constantly sneezing and nose running, eyes watering. Then, Saturday evening my nose started running. As I was rushing to the restroom I realized it wasn't snot but blood filling up my palm. Didn't think I'd ever get it to stop. Plus, I was spitting up blood clots which seems to make my nose bleed worse. This went on for hours stopping only briefly. Sun. was the same. Mon. was better. Got through work with only minor episodes. Today I was sent home because the nosebleeds were interfering with my work. Been a lot of wildfires around this area. I wonder if this could have triggered the allergy symptoms on the 1st place. On the up side of all this bleeding; the tender sinus spots over my eyes aren't tender anymore. I can't remember those areas not hurting, but they don't now. I can breathe more deeply now. I don't feel sick, not in pain, but this is interfering with work. I am 63 and don't drink or do drugs.

Comment from: MikeVDVet, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I contracted a sinus infection being around someone who had one. Their bad breath gave it away. Because my doctor did not treat it after telling him I had 'Chronic Rhinitis' it developed into an infected tooth with a major abscess that needed to have a root canal which might have been unnecessary if the sinus infection would have been treated sooner. The endodontist had to drill through a porcelain crown and the pain was very high even with anesthesia. He said it was very infected. The whole right side of my head hurt including my teeth. These are classic symptoms of chronic rhinitis. I firmly believe that if my dentist had not referred me I may have died due the negligence of my medical doctor. I strongly believe I was in the 'Toxic Shock' stage of my infection due to my having symptoms for 6 months with extreme pain. It resulted in loss of sleep, appetite, lack of taste, lack of smell and above all, difficulty being a nice person due to the high pain index. I was treated with antibiotics by my dentist and it has relieved the symptoms somewhat to date. I am still convalescing.

Comment from: sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

For my chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip, I have taken Claritin and Claritin-D, Singulair, Astelin, Mucinex, and a sinus rinse. I have also had surgery. None worked well.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I'm a 65 year old woman that has had a chronic cough for 7 years. I have been to every kind of doctor there is. Sinus surgery three times, acid reflux twice. I constantly cough and clear my throat. My co-workers have all moved away from me. I also have had to sleep in a different room so my husband can get some sleep. The only time I have has any relief is when I am in the hospital and on a pain medication. So I talked my ENT into letting me try Loratab and it worked like a charm. I was so happy. Then he retired and no one will give me Loratab. I'm right back to square one. I retired in order to see if talking on the phone so much triggered it. But now I'm just home irritating my husband all day. I have tried every medication over the counter and a number of prescribed medications with no relief.

Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.
Chronic Rhinitis - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your case of post-drip or chronic rhinitis (for example, pollen, animal dander, other allergies)?
Chronic Rhinitis and Abnormal Nasal Secretions - Causes Question: Causes vary: what conditions caused your abnormal production of nasal secretions?
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating chronic rhinitis or post-nasal drip?