Patient Comments: Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.

Comment from: theo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

In May this 2015 I had a flu, after that I never stopped coughing. What's new to me is that I rarely cough during the day and at night, especially early morning hours, I cough a lot. And I am experiencing noisy chest, and it is relieved by cough. Medical history, I had sinus since 2005 and it was relieved in 2010 because I relocated. In 2014 I came back to this place and it started again. I was so worried I checked tuberculosis but it was negative. But I have persistent cough and at times I feel like something is stuck in my throat.

Comment from: KATHRYN, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have tried every spray on the shelf plus the prescription ones for chronic rhinitis. None of them work. I started this nasal drip 2 years ago. I constantly have the drip no matter where I am or what I'm doing. I am constantly snorting and blowing my nose. I don't have any allergies but I did break my nose years ago and had surgery to correct the deviated septum. I am sick of this constant dripping and having to have a Kleenex available at all times.

Comment from: ava, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have suffered from chronic rhinitis since before I was in the double digits. I had little to no sense of smell and couldn't breathe through my nose at all. This also caused loud snoring and meant I couldn't even lie down on my back without having to fight for breath. Only recently, after having suffered through 11 years of school sounding like I had a constant cold, was I diagnosed correctly and prescribed Beconase nasal spray. I'm not cured, but I do have a much better sense of smell (though it's not as good as it should be) and can breathe through my nose (albeit a little noisily). I still have to constantly carry a tissue around as I still have a runny nose but my tissue usage has decreased by at least 50 percent. Ask your doctor before trying anything.

Comment from: Ina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had a post-nasal drip for probably 10 years. It is with me even in other countries. It drips day and night so my sleeping pattern is erratic. I seem to be swallowing gobs of mucus all the time. Nothing seems to help, I drink a lot of water to clean up the throat and taste. I am desperate to find a solution, sinuses are clear according to ENT.

Comment from: Eric, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

Chronic rhinitis with snot, sneezing, swelling, worsening of asthma and misery, is making me so ill and low so often. I have considered suicide. I cannot breathe. I look and feel awful. I am on antihistamine, Seretide, Singulair, Ventolin and prednisolone; all ineffective. I can't sleep, can't socialize and struggle to hold my job down. Doctor referred me to the respiratory specialist as urgent. The specialist considers me not urgent. So a 9 month wait to meet a specialist who will look down on me and not understand how this is making my life fall apart.

Comment from: LuLu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I use grapefruit seed extract nasal spray (available at health food stores) for post nasal drip. Post nasal drip is caused by a fungus, usually. The grapefruit seed extract nasal spray is anti-fungal. Drinking 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (Bragg's) in a glass of water also helps. I have also done the Ayr saline irrigation. I need to do this now, as a matter of fact. I was weeding today and it is very moldy here from all of the rain we've had.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I totally understand what you are going through. It is horrible. I live it every day. I have had chronic rhinitis for several years. Recently, I went to my ENT. He gave me a 6-day (6-5-4-3-2-1) dose of steroids and Nasonex. It did nothing for me. He sent me for ear tests and also a CAT scan. I saw my ENT last week for results and he said that my sinuses/nasal on the left of my face (above my eye and below my eye) were totally blocked. My right side was blocked a little (not much). Plus I have a deviated septum. I go in for surgery in about two weeks. The ENT will fix all of this. Also, I have tried all OTC medicines and they don't solve the problem. Go see an ENT and also wish me luck with my surgery (which lasts 1.5 hours for me). I truly wish that this helps everyone.

Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for chronic rhinitis and/or post-nasal drip?
Chronic Rhinitis - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your case of post-drip or chronic rhinitis (for example, pollen, animal dander, other allergies)?
Chronic Rhinitis and Abnormal Nasal Secretions - Causes Question: Causes vary: what conditions caused your abnormal production of nasal secretions?
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating chronic rhinitis or post-nasal drip?