Patient Comments: Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.

Comment from: Toulula, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had post nasal drip for 6 years, had different nose sprays and tablets and nothing helps. I got rid of grass in garden and carpets in house, but nothing helps.

Comment from: ralph, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

As soon as I get up from my bed, my nose starts running and I start sneezing.

Comment from: intubation nasaldrip, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Following nasal intubation, I have constant clear nasal drip.

Comment from: Petunia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I've been suffering from rhinitis, post-nasal drip and nose dripping(clear mucus,I guess), since early 2000. The allergist doctor prescribed Atrovent (Ipratropium nasal spray 0.06pc 15ml) to spray as needed and it's been working well for me. I carry it with me wherever I go. I had tried all the prescriptions available for allergies and none of them worked.

Comment from: Desert Rat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I was diagnosed with allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma, and COPD with mild emphysema. I took Advair, Spiriva, Symbicort, and Singulair at various times and nothing helped. Now I am taking budesonide by nebulizer and I feel great.

Comment from: dipsy doodle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 07

Every time I start to eat my nose runs like water. I have tried Zyrtec, Claritin and Allegra. I was also given a nose spray to be used 15 minutes before I eat, but it has not worked.

Comment from: Donnykins, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I am female and 36 years old. I have been diagnosed with vasomotor rhinitis (non-allergenic) and have the associated postnasal drip. However, this started suddenly nine months ago, and no amount of nasal sprays or medications will eliminate it. I am currently being investigated for laryngo-pharyngeal reflux disease –a type of acid reflux that refluxes into the back of my throat, pooling there. I am on meds to stop my body from producing stomach acid, but the resulting bile still irritates my throat. I have noticed that the rhinitis is, indeed, a secondary symptom caused by the acid reflux. Hopefully, when that is remedied, so will the rhinitis and postnasal drip.

Comment from: jac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I'm 52 and have suffered with chronic rhinitis since I was a child. The post- nasal drip is ruining my life. I can't sleep at night due to constantly coughing with thick clear mucus trickling down the back of my throat. Sometimes I just sit up when I sleep because both my husband and I work shifts. I sleep in another room so he can sleep. This upsets me – I'm constantly tired, and have tried many OTC remedies, along with prescription nasal sprays. Nothing seems to work. The cough is getting worse even during the day. I feel desperate.

Published: July 24

I am a 57-year-old male who has had a post nasal drip problem for years. These would eventually turn into migraines. I would then take Imitrex, which works very well. I noticed that it really dried me out, and I didn't want to take Imitrex all the time. So I started taking Sudafed. (The ones you have to sign for.) They only last five hours, so then I take Phenylephrine HCL, which you don't have to sign for. That might last me until bedtime, or I just take another pill. At least I can sleep on these pills (not the 12-hour ones). My throat clears up, and I don't get headaches. I'm going to try the nasal spray also because I don't really want to take these pills forever.

Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for chronic rhinitis and/or post-nasal drip?
Chronic Rhinitis - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your case of post-drip or chronic rhinitis (for example, pollen, animal dander, other allergies)?
Chronic Rhinitis and Abnormal Nasal Secretions - Causes Question: Causes vary: what conditions caused your abnormal production of nasal secretions?
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating chronic rhinitis or post-nasal drip?