Patient Comments: Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.

Published: June 24

I have been having this problem of clearing my throat for 3 years. I once visited an ENT specialist who just concluded that I'm suffering from acidity. What is acidity to do with mucus flow at the back of my throat? Nowadays I have an acute bad breath which is affecting my career very badly. What can I do to manage the mucus flow and also the bad breath?

Published: June 18

I have an itchy watery nose and eyes associated with a dry mouth due to one nostril being clogged up then draining then clogged up again. I have been drinking something with zinc in it and citrus blends it helps a little but not to good for taste. Of course my taste is affected right now too. It hurts in my nasal passages in my head above my eye where the sinal passage is clogged off and on.

Published: June 17

I have constant post nasal drip which causes me to clear my throat and cough. It keeps me awake at night and nothing I do can seem to clear this thick mucus that sits at the base of my throat. When I am up and moving around it is not as bad. The night and morning times are the worst. I am 70 years old and on many heart medications so I can't take medications for much of anything else. The pharmacist gave me Chlorpheniramine Maleate and even that didn't seem to work. I need help.

Published: June 17

I have had PND for over a year following a bout of bronchitis. I have had the cough in the past, which eventually went away but this time I cannot get rid of it. I have gone to every MD possible. Have been on at least 15 meds, sprays, inhalers, nasal wash. The only thing that gives me some relief is Hycodan and that now only gives me about 2 hours relief. The weirdest thing is that it does not interfere with my sleep or when I am quietly lying down and not talking. As soon as I wake up and start talking the drip is there. I am very self conscious of the cough and throat clearing. My self esteem is at its lowest. I wish I could find an MD who can think outside the box.

Published: June 12

I have no allergic symptoms, no itching or sneezing in the nose but this drip post my nasal is bugging me almost all the time for last 10 years continuously. I have bad taste and I can feel something extremely smelly is stuck in my throat. The worse thing is that i have a very bad breath, I am married and it embarrasses me the most! I have used Loratadine and Cetrizine with Mefanamic acid but with little effect. I'm 27 and I'm getting grey hair. They say greying of my hair is due to perpetual post nasal drip.

Published: June 11

My husband has chronic post nasal drippage which causes him to wake up with an awful taste in his mouth and constant dripping down the back of his throat. He has been seen by ENT specialists and had two sinus surgeries. His sinuses are okay but the post nasal drip persists and nobody can tell him why. Reflux has been suggested but the gastroenterologist says he is clear of that and on medication. What's more interesting is that NOTHING comes out of his nose, even when he blows! What's that all about? He is hoarse as well.

Published: June 11

I do not have any allergy symptoms. In the past I did have minor symptoms such as sneezing and itchy nose. Now I just have post nasal drip. It is worse in the afternoon. I have this gross taste in the back of my throat and it feels like there is something sticky stuck there. I feel run down all of the time. (I take Wellbutrin and Adderall which can be drying, so maybe this is a side effect.) This problem seems to have worsened since I added Adderall to my Wellbutrin regimen.

Published: June 11

After a bout with bronchitis, followed by a severe sinus infection with a great deal of drainage, I have trouble speaking without slurring my words. I have had two C-T scans and a stroke was ruled out and I have been told I have chronic sinusitis, but the ENT doctor has postponed surgery. I have to swallow a lot and still have drainage, especially at night.

Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for chronic rhinitis and/or post-nasal drip?
Chronic Rhinitis - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your case of post-drip or chronic rhinitis (for example, pollen, animal dander, other allergies)?
Chronic Rhinitis and Abnormal Nasal Secretions - Causes Question: Causes vary: what conditions caused your abnormal production of nasal secretions?
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating chronic rhinitis or post-nasal drip?