Patient Comments: Chronic Pain - Management

What techniques have been effective at managing your chronic pain?

Published: November 13

My kids are in middle school and high school now. I still kept their favorite board games and books at a corner of our family room. Last night I was reading an online book on a sofa and my youngest child asked me to move over and sit next to her in case she needed help on her math homework. I walked with laptop, a big one with its power cord, and accidentally stepped on to an uncovered Battleship board game box and then the box slipped. My left ankle was rotated over 90 degrees, I think. And I saw the swelling in seconds. The emergency room doctor told me I had fractures on all three bones. She helped me align them and I am waiting to see the specialist tomorrow. I regret that I did not pay more attention when I walked with both my hands full and miss the days that I could move freely.

Comment from: Jimmyabbot02, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

For my pain management, I use turmeric. It is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, this brightly colored spice is a beneficial treatment for many health conditions, including chronic pain. Turmeric contains curcumin, which provides a natural way to reduce inflammation in the body, without harming the liver or kidneys.

Comment from: Riseabove, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have severe arthritis in my back, stenosis, I have had 2 back surgeries and I have pain. I use a pain psychologist. He is the best thing I have used for pain. He taught me meditation, which I do every day, mindfulness, which removes the fear and anxiety about pain, and helped me find what triggers my pain. I also use ice, I plan lots of rest periods in my day, I walk every day, and I have started swimming. I have a Jacuzzi tub also. I take medications when things get really bad.

Comment from: Hiimtddy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have been getting nerve burns since 2002 and they are very effective for my back pain from collapsed discs from osteoarthritis I've had since childhood. Now I have a struggle with my husband's insurance trying to get my nerve burns even though it is proven that they are very effective at pain management for me and cost effective. They are making me do physical therapy which increased my pain to send me to the emergency room ER and more doctor appointments. For shots for pain, I have to have two nerve blocks, and then maybe I can get them. It's torture for me. I had my first nerve block today and I'm just spent. I had been doing so well in life, and then found out I was celiac and lost 77 lb. in a year. I just hope I can get through all this and get back to exercising and being me!

Comment from: Joy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

The best relief I have found for cervical facet joint syndrome is a home traction unit that was given to me by my physical therapist. I could never live without it!

Comment from: retired icu nurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have mild scoliosis and have chronic trigger point problems. I have referred pain to the anterior chest and occipital region from these. Injection with local c/s steroids has been effective Q4-6 months for over twenty years. Recently acupuncture has been as effective although the duration of relief has not been as long. Chiropractic, muscle relaxants, PT and narcotics have not been effective. Counter strain therapy is effective but adequate practitioners of this technique are difficult to find. My insurance will not pay for acupuncture although they will pay for chiropractic.

Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain.
Chronic Pain - Diagnosis Question: How was your chronic pain diagnosed?
Chronic Pain - Marijuana and Pain Question: Do you use marijuana to manage chronic pain? Please discuss your experience.
Chronic Pain - Phantom Pain Question: Have you or someone you know experienced phantom pain? Describe what it's like.
Chronic Pain - Age, Gender, and Pain Question: Discuss your experience with and observations of gender and age in relation to pain tolerance.