Patient Comments: Chronic Pain - Marijuana and Pain

Do you use marijuana to manage chronic pain? Please discuss your experience.

Comment from: BettyAnzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I tried several strains of marijuana to attempt to treat my pain. Unfortunately, it was not helpful for me, actually making my chronic back pain worse. I use time-release morphine and oxycodone for breakthrough pain. I have seen marijuana be very helpful for others, it is disappointing not to find relief from a more natural medication. It is certainly worth a try for anyone who is suffering.

Comment from: catwoman, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have been using marijuana for over 50 years to get high. Only recently have I used it for the chronic pain of bursitis/arthritis. It is the only thing that works for me without side effects. I am allergic to a lot of the strong pain killers and the others either make me have nightmares or edema. In the state that I live in, they have just voted not to have medical marijuana so I don't always get what I want. I live with pain most of the time.

Comment from: Riseabove, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I got my license for marijuana and tried different varieties, but I could never make it work without gaining weight or being wasted. I went back to narcotics, since I know the dose I'm taking and I have less appetite.

Comment from: Patrick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I'm a legal patient and caregiver. I've found if I can get the medicine in me I can manage without hurting my back. It does a great job on many types of pain, mostly body pain. If it's eaten it works slower but lasts longer, both are a great way to attack pain in many natural ways.

Comment from: Benkaldwurse, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

Smoking a doobie sounds better to me than the rehabilitation and tests I'm going through. I'm all for anything that works. Chronic pain sucks.

Comment from: Freezing64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been using marijuana for several years now. I have MS, acromegaly, severe migraine s, depression, and back pain (due to a crack in my lower back). I am also being tested for other chronic diseases. I was prescribed fentanyl patches. It did not help with the pain and, in fact, almost killed me. I can't understand why doctors are so terrified to sign the Health Canada application. I have asked my GP, my endocrinologist, and my MS neurologist. I believe I have finally found a doctor who specializes in chronic pain, but he is two hours away from me. I hope that I will finally have a license to legally possess marijuana. I feel it is far safer than all of the prescribed narcotics. It really should not be so difficult to find a doctor who is willing to help.

Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain.
Chronic Pain - Diagnosis Question: How was your chronic pain diagnosed?
Chronic Pain - Management Question: What techniques have been effective at managing your chronic pain?
Chronic Pain - Phantom Pain Question: Have you or someone you know experienced phantom pain? Describe what it's like.
Chronic Pain - Age, Gender, and Pain Question: Discuss your experience with and observations of gender and age in relation to pain tolerance.