Patient Comments: Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain.

Comment from: Kimberly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have had chronic myofascial pain and neuropathic pain for six years. I took anti-seizure drugs to help with the pain in the nerves and had weekly trigger point injections for years. In addition, I was taking Tylenol 3s, and Celebrex to try to control the pain. Nothing has worked as well as Lyrica. Now, instead of 2,800 mg of Neurontin, I take 225 mg of Lyrica. I have dropped the Celebrex and take Tylenol 3s rarely! Lyrica has changed my life, and after six years, I am finally ready to get back to work and living!

Comment from: mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was once an athlete, and had my first injury (knee) at 16. I have had chronic pain since then, now I'm 52. I have had 12 knee surgeries, 2 in the back. I have arthritis in areas. Then I have had chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) with fibromyalgia, since 2001. I have been on 30 mg morphine sulfate BID, 5 mg oxycodone up to 30 mg/day, and 2 mg hydromorphone up to 4 mg/night. I am taking baclofen (helps for sleep in my CFS), trazodone, and ranitidine.

Comment from: Jeannie66, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had multiple epidural's, routine injection therapy, a decompression procedure and medication for herniations in discs C-4, C-5, and C-6. To date, all procedures have only helped for a short period of time. The only thing that has stayed consistent in controlling the pain is the medication; Vicodin is taken three times a day for the last 3-4 years. Just recently, my doctor thought that I was taking too much medicine and cut the dosage down to twice daily. It doesn't seem to be doing the job quite as well.

Comment from: In chronic pain, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had surgery on my back, and now only a partial disc with several deteriorated lumbar discs. You can hear the bones clicking. Since 1999, I have been put on opioids for pain management. First as Tilidin in Germany, and since relocating to the United States for a new position in 2005, the doctors here have been prescribing methadone. Depending on the pain level, the dosage I need to function is between 100 mg and 200 mg per day. As a long-term user there is no high: All it does is take away some of the pain. On bad days, even a full dose is not enough to enable me to function normally.

Comment from: Terri P., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have spent the last 12 years on pain medication. I have a neck fusion: C4 thru C7. I have lower back pain, scoliosis below my fusion, and bad knees. I have tried a lot of different pain medications and am still taking some. However, about two weeks ago, I found out about Norwegian Cod Liver Oil. I started taking two tablespoons a day, and I'm now taking one to two fewer pain pills a day. It is my understanding that it takes several months to get the best effect, and I can't wait! They sell it at most drug stores for less than $8 a bottle.

Comment from: Katewest, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have Ehlers–Danlos syndrome (EDS), in which I lack collagen throughout my body, which results in chronic pain in the bones, tendons and ligaments. These meds are the only ones proven to help me function. I have been on Neurontin; however, one definitely needs breakthrough pain pills with this! I've tried injections before, but they are only a temporary solution. I'm not promoting narcotics, but for some it's the only solution. I am going to try Suboxone as a replacement for morphine sulfate. I am wondering how Suboxone will work as a replacement.

Chronic Pain - Diagnosis Question: How was your chronic pain diagnosed?
Chronic Pain - Management Question: What techniques have been effective at managing your chronic pain?
Chronic Pain - Marijuana and Pain Question: Do you use marijuana to manage chronic pain? Please discuss your experience.
Chronic Pain - Phantom Pain Question: Have you or someone you know experienced phantom pain? Describe what it's like.
Chronic Pain - Age, Gender, and Pain Question: Discuss your experience with and observations of gender and age in relation to pain tolerance.