Patient Comments: Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain.

Comment from: JohnnyC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet due to diabetes II. I have had shooting pain, burning, numbness and every step that I take hurts like hell. I have been living with this for 8 plus years and every single day of my life is nothing but pain. I tried Neurontin, Lyrica, Ultram, and Oxycontin (which worked well but too addictive) and now I am on methadone 200 mg a day. No high and takes the edge off but that's it. Doctors nowadays are paranoid to give out any type of narcotic because of the FDA.

Comment from: Long Term Patient, (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been on methadone for 21 years. I have been successfully treated. It works only when you follow your treatment plan given by your doctor! Be truthful with your doctor and know that chronic pain cannot be treated with methadone alone. Physical and psychological measures must be addressed. Remember that you have to be open to all avenues given by your doctor, follow the plan.

Comment from: cherylE, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I have been in and out of sports doctors since I was 10 for 'growing pains' in my knees (now 23). Two and a half years ago surgeon discovered my kneecap was too high and did a reconstruction. Since then I have had medial stabbing pains in my left knee. I'm on fentanyl patch, gabapentin, Celebrex, Panadeine Forte, and a TCA (tricyclic antidepressant). Pain specialist is going to do a nerve block, which will hopefully help, as the drugs improve my pain a little but I think they have more side effects than pain relief effects!

Comment from: Kimberly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have had chronic myofascial pain and neuropathic pain for six years. I took anti-seizure drugs to help with the pain in the nerves and had weekly trigger point injections for years. In addition, I was taking Tylenol 3s, and Celebrex to try to control the pain. Nothing has worked as well as Lyrica. Now, instead of 2,800 mg of Neurontin, I take 225 mg of Lyrica. I have dropped the Celebrex and take Tylenol 3s rarely! Lyrica has changed my life, and after six years, I am finally ready to get back to work and living!

Comment from: Nurse1973, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had a back injury 5 years ago. I have multiple back issues and horrible chronic pain. I take Exalgo 32 mg ER (extended release) and Dilaudid twice day. I also have roxycontin, methadone, Soma, and Lyrica. I also have a spinal nerve implant for the pain. I am so depressed dealing with this chronic pain. Being a nurse, I know there are people out there that must be in worse pain than I. How do you deal with the pain!

Comment from: SASSY467, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have chronic pain with scleroderma and fibromyalgia, my discs are deteriorating and dehydrating, and I have an annular tear. I had a 15x27x13 tumor removed thought that was the cause of my lower back pain, but it wasn't.

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I was crushed and ran over by a drunk driver in 2007 and left with 64 broken bones as well as a crushed pelvic bone. I am not paralyzed and I want to walk again, but the problem is, I have chronic pain daily; deep pain and it is not the kind of pain that goes away. I can't do my physical therapy without my pain medications. Recently my doctor has taken them from me and I was almost to the top and now I'm falling backwards again. I don't understand why any doctor would do this to me. I want to walk again. I was taking 4 tablets of 60 mg OxyContin a day and the breakthrough was four 8 mg hydromorphone and the doctor now only gave me 2 tablets of 20 mg Oxycontin a day and one 4 mg hydromorphone 3 times a day. You think this is a lot but it is not, after suffering such trauma and daily chronic pain. I will never make it now. My doctor told me I will have to take a strong pain medicine the rest of my life.

Chronic Pain - Diagnosis Question: How was your chronic pain diagnosed?
Chronic Pain - Management Question: What techniques have been effective at managing your chronic pain?
Chronic Pain - Marijuana and Pain Question: Do you use marijuana to manage chronic pain? Please discuss your experience.
Chronic Pain - Phantom Pain Question: Have you or someone you know experienced phantom pain? Describe what it's like.
Chronic Pain - Age, Gender, and Pain Question: Discuss your experience with and observations of gender and age in relation to pain tolerance.