Patient Comments: Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain.

Published: July 29

I have lived with a bad back for some time, approximately 2 years. I was told that I had degenerate discs and this was where the pain was radiating from, recently I had 2 MRI's, 1 for my neck and 1 for my lower back. My lower back results advised that the discs were continuing to reduce but my neck MRI showed I have a bulging disc. I have undertaken many courses to help with the Chronic Pain ie Back Pain. I took a 12 wk course, in Physiotherapy to no avail. I am now waiting to start hydrotherapy which the physiotherapist advised will not be a long term fix but should allow me to function a little better. Everyone is different, so although I have not had any success from the procedures I have tried they may be beneficial to others. I am attending a Chronic Pain consultant and we are trying everything possible, so hopefully in the near future I may be pain free and start to live life again.

Comment from: Katewest, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have Ehlers–Danlos syndrome (EDS), in which I lack collagen throughout my body, which results in chronic pain in the bones, tendons and ligaments. These meds are the only ones proven to help me function. I have been on Neurontin; however, one definitely needs breakthrough pain pills with this! I've tried injections before, but they are only a temporary solution. I'm not promoting narcotics, but for some it's the only solution. I am going to try Suboxone as a replacement for morphine sulfate. I am wondering how Suboxone will work as a replacement.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have found that myofascial release with massage to be the best pain reliever of all for my symptoms, which are severe in my neck at the base of my skull. My Pilates instructor, who also does myofascial release and massage, has been my life-saver.

Comment from: tootspatoots, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I've got some lower lumbar degenerated discs, four to be exact. I just found out that I'm lacking some blood flow to my left leg. I'm constantly in uncomfortable pain, whether it be sitting or standing. My doctor has me on 5 mg of oxycodone, four pills daily. My mother has this thought in her head that this is addicting, but I feel that low a dosage for pain alleviation isn't a problem. I've had acupuncture, massage therapy, physical therapy, and vitamins, and nothing seems to help as well as the oxycodone. I will be moving soon, and the pain management waiting list up here in my state (NY) is eight months.

Comment from: Political prisoner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I have used about everything for pain, including massage, gadgets and machines pulling me and rolling me, chiropractic adjustments and about all of the narcotics. One thing that I feel would be helpful, if you can find a doctor that isn't so paranoid that he is afraid to give you aspirin, is using narcotics and switching them. Personally, I know that I am going to have days that I just have to live with it and take nothing. I am 60, and I either want to be treated with dignity, or be given the treatment people give their pets when they put them to sleep!

Comment from: Gail, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have several autoimmune diseases and have suffered chronic pain for the last eight years. Primarily my chronic pain is low back and hip pain - sciatica, fibromyalgia and lumbar and sacral disk pain including the sacroiliac joint. I've tried many pain management options. Facet joint injections gave little or no relief, Versatis (lidocaine patch) also gave little relief. Currently I'm on 20mg Oxycontin BD, 75mg Lyrica TDS and Mobic 7.5mg BD. At the moment this combination is working, but I don't want to stay on this amount of medication for a long time, and am also aware that the longer I remain on these medications, the more tolerant of them I will become and therefore that a higher dose will be required to maintain a pain management level.

Comment from: William , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I have chronic pain, and I've been taking pain medications for three years. I take Morphine and use Fentanyl patches. My pain is in my lower back and is inoperable. It's been getting worse, too.

Chronic Pain - Diagnosis Question: How was your chronic pain diagnosed?
Chronic Pain - Management Question: What techniques have been effective at managing your chronic pain?
Chronic Pain - Marijuana and Pain Question: Do you use marijuana to manage chronic pain? Please discuss your experience.
Chronic Pain - Phantom Pain Question: Have you or someone you know experienced phantom pain? Describe what it's like.
Chronic Pain - Age, Gender, and Pain Question: Discuss your experience with and observations of gender and age in relation to pain tolerance.