Patient Comments: Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain.

Comment from: Political prisoner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I have used about everything for pain, including massage, gadgets and machines pulling me and rolling me, chiropractic adjustments and about all of the narcotics. One thing that I feel would be helpful, if you can find a doctor that isn't so paranoid that he is afraid to give you aspirin, is using narcotics and switching them. Personally, I know that I am going to have days that I just have to live with it and take nothing. I am 60, and I either want to be treated with dignity, or be given the treatment people give their pets when they put them to sleep!

Comment from: Gail, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have several autoimmune diseases and have suffered chronic pain for the last eight years. Primarily my chronic pain is low back and hip pain - sciatica, fibromyalgia and lumbar and sacral disk pain including the sacroiliac joint. I've tried many pain management options. Facet joint injections gave little or no relief, Versatis (lidocaine patch) also gave little relief. Currently I'm on 20mg Oxycontin BD, 75mg Lyrica TDS and Mobic 7.5mg BD. At the moment this combination is working, but I don't want to stay on this amount of medication for a long time, and am also aware that the longer I remain on these medications, the more tolerant of them I will become and therefore that a higher dose will be required to maintain a pain management level.

Comment from: William , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I have chronic pain, and I've been taking pain medications for three years. I take Morphine and use Fentanyl patches. My pain is in my lower back and is inoperable. It's been getting worse, too.

Comment from: Transcripter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Topamax and Lunesta at bedtime have helped with my chronic nerve pain from a tarsal tunnel procedure.

Comment from: dave, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Vicodin ES has helped me with back pain 1 year after having surgery to my back. Vicodin works well on pain where everything else fails. I have been taking Vicodin ES for 2 and a half years and I have no side affects or problems caused by it. I can be addictive so it's important for whoever is getting Vicodin to be responsible for making their meds last to their refill date.

Comment from: ron E, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I have been to various pain management centers. The doctors that were needle happy by the steroid shots in the back, and the ones that just gave you more drugs that you could handle. I've found success with a family doctor who gave me, and monitors the amount of, methadone. It has worked for me for years now when morphine didn't. The only thing I got from morphine was increases in dosages when it didn't work as well as it was supposed to.

Comment from: Sherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have suffered chronic pain in neck, back, muscles and joints along with migraines since the birth of my only child 15 years ago. After years of numerous doctors, medications, blocks, etc. What has helped me most is Lexapro, Neurontin & massage. Lexapro cut pain 75% alone. This was prescribed by neurologist for pain and not depression. It has been the best treatment for me so far.

Comment from: james, 55-64 Male Published: February 18

6 weeks ago I had surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis, but I am still having severe burning in my legs and feet when I am in bed at night. Will this improve through time? I am still taking a lot of medication which does not help.

Chronic Pain - Diagnosis Question: How was your chronic pain diagnosed?
Chronic Pain - Management Question: What techniques have been effective at managing your chronic pain?
Chronic Pain - Marijuana and Pain Question: Do you use marijuana to manage chronic pain? Please discuss your experience.
Chronic Pain - Phantom Pain Question: Have you or someone you know experienced phantom pain? Describe what it's like.
Chronic Pain - Age, Gender, and Pain Question: Discuss your experience with and observations of gender and age in relation to pain tolerance.