Chronic Pain Index
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to acute pain that arises suddenly in response to a specific injury and is usually treatable, chronic pain persists over time and is often resistant to medical treatments.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Ankle pain is commonly due to a sprain or tendinitis. The severity of ankle sprains ranges from mild (which can resolve within...learn more »
In This Article
Ankle Pain Article
- Ankle pain and ankle tendinitis facts
- How is the ankle designed, and what is the ankle's function?
- What causes ankle pain and ankle tendinitis?
- What injuries can cause ankle pain,
and how are they treated?
- What diseases and conditions can cause ankle pain, and how are they treated?
- What are associated symptoms and signs of ankle pain and ankle tendinitis?
- How are ankle pain and ankle tendinitis diagnosed?
- What is the prognosis for ankle pain and ankle tendinitis?
- Is it possible to prevent ankle pain and ankle tendinitis?
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...learn more »
Bursitis of the hip results when the fluid-filled sac (bursa) near the hip becomes inflamed due to localized soft tissue trauma...learn more »
Bursitis of the knee results when any of the three fluid-filled sacs (bursae) become inflamed due to injury or strain. Symptoms...learn more »
In This Article
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID) Article
- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) facts
- What is chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS or SEID)?
- What causes chronic fatigue syndrome or systemic exertional intolerance disease?
- What are risk factors for CFS/SEID?
- What are systemic exertion intolerance disease or chronic fatigue syndrome
symptoms and signs?
- What are CFS/SEID symptoms in men?
- What are SEID/CFS symptoms in women?
- How is chronic fatigue syndrome (or systemic exertion intolerance disease) diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for CFS/SEID?
- Is there a cure for CFS/SEID?
- What is the prognosis (outcome) for CFS/SEID?
- Is it possible to prevent CFS/SEID?
- Where can people find additional information about CFS/SEID?
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease,
primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can
affect...learn more »
In This Article
Crohn's Disease Article
- Crohn's disease facts
- What is Crohn's disease?
- What causes Crohn's disease?
- How does Crohn's disease affect the intestines?
- How is Crohn's disease different from ulcerative colitis?
- What are the symptoms of Crohn's disease?
- What are the complications of Crohn's disease?
- How is Crohn's disease diagnosed?
- How is Crohn's disease treated?
- Crohn's Disease Medications
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- 5-ASA (mesalamine) oral medications
- 5-ASA rectal medications (Rowasa, Canasa)
- Budesonide (Entocort EC)
- Antibiotics for Crohn's disease
- Immuno-modulator medications
- Azathioprine (Imuran) and 6-mercaptopurine (6-MP, Purinethol)
- Infliximab (Remicade)
- Adalimumab (Humira)
- Certolizumab pegol (Cimzia)
- Natalizumab (Tysabri)
- Methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall)
- Surgery in Crohn's disease
- Are there any recommendations for diet, supplementation, or vaccinations for Crohn's disease?