Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I broke my humerus from a fall, my first broken bone.

Comment from: 007chef, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I am 37 years old, diagnosed with strep throat! What seemed to be a weekend getaway with the wife, and little cousins blowing up balloons with laughter turned out to be a terrible weekend. Strep throat for eight days with enormous pain. I had unbearable throat pain with ravaged tonsils and fever. It beat me down. If one truly acquires real strep throat, yikes! It may seem like it will never end, however thankfully there is light at the end! Humbling experience.

Comment from: Arihana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I am 68 and while I was clinically diagnosed with fibromyalgia only last October, 2014, I had been dealing with the symptoms for over 30 years. I think there is also chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) in the mix because the degree of exhaustion I suffer is awful and at the moment seems to be getting worse. I slept for 15 hours the night before last and woke up exhausted. As with most other sufferers, I was told my issues were related to depression, arthritis, sleep apnea, etc. I think having pneumonia at 11 months followed by bronchial colds as a preschooler and finally developing full scale asthma at the age of seven is quite possibly the reason for my problems now. I have had ill health all my life and the fatigue kicked in after I married a guy with two early teen children, then had a child of my own having had one from my first marriage. It was all too much for an already fragile system. Recently my husband and I had a month overseas. I had had a bad flu and a bout of diverticulitis prior to us going, then came home with a chest infection after a trip which I realize now, was too much for me. All I want to do is stay in bed and sleep at present. I feel useless and it is hard not to let depression in. When I force myself up, I can do only a tiny bit then have to rest. It's driving me mad. I hope I will gradually stabilize a bit but I'm not counting on it. My husband does try to understand. I am fortunate in having one close friend who really does know how I feel and that helps so much.

Comment from: CrazyNanna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

With chronic fatigue syndrome I have fatigue in every muscle, including brain, digestion, breathing and eyesight problems. I have extreme constipation after any exercise (1 tsp psyllium husk in a glass of water a day helps me), light and sound sensitivity, brain fog, joint and muscle pain, dry itching skin, bloating, short term memory problems, and disorientation.

Comment from: Tiredtodeath, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

My symptoms are vertigo, extreme fatigue, being unable to breath lying down unless I sit up for a few hours to get enough energy, feeling like I'm dying, leg weakness, nausea, burning between toes without obvious cause, memory blackouts, confusion, loss of memory and unable to remember names for things or what I was doing. I have enlarged spleen (affects lymphatic system), insomnia and erratic interrupted sleep. Ten sleeping pills kept me awake all night, on other nights 1 pill helps with sleep after an hour or 2 or 3. I have 5 to 6 hours of sleep/night on average with 5 to 6 hours lying awake trying to get to sleep. Only L-theanine helps with mental functioning/memory. I have tinnitus and recurring skin infection. CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) came after 3 months of skin infection and pneumonia. I have abnormal low neutrophils/monocytes, white blood cell counts which dropped 50% after infection, low RBC on one occasion, sudden increases in fatigue for 2 or 3 hours, unable to recover energy after 2 to 3 days of extra sleep, anxiety and depression.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping Question: How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?