Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: Tiredtodeath, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

My symptoms are vertigo, extreme fatigue, being unable to breath lying down unless I sit up for a few hours to get enough energy, feeling like I'm dying, leg weakness, nausea, burning between toes without obvious cause, memory blackouts, confusion, loss of memory and unable to remember names for things or what I was doing. I have enlarged spleen (affects lymphatic system), insomnia and erratic interrupted sleep. Ten sleeping pills kept me awake all night, on other nights 1 pill helps with sleep after an hour or 2 or 3. I have 5 to 6 hours of sleep/night on average with 5 to 6 hours lying awake trying to get to sleep. Only L-theanine helps with mental functioning/memory. I have tinnitus and recurring skin infection. CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) came after 3 months of skin infection and pneumonia. I have abnormal low neutrophils/monocytes, white blood cell counts which dropped 50% after infection, low RBC on one occasion, sudden increases in fatigue for 2 or 3 hours, unable to recover energy after 2 to 3 days of extra sleep, anxiety and depression.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I was diagnosed in the second grade after being sick with flu like symptoms and severe fatigue for a long period of time. In the years since I have continued to deal with bouts of extreme fatigue that usually results in severe nausea and debilitating fatigue along with other symptoms such as headaches, memory problems, leg pain, sore throat etc. I am 29 now and in times of stress or if I "overdo it" I end up vomiting and I am incapacitated for several days- sometimes so ill I have to get iv fluids. I wish that I didn't have to deal with this alone- I don't currently see a dr. that knows anything about the illness.

Comment from: Hologram, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have been diagnosed with CFS, and have been afflicted for years. Taking Vitamin D has changed everything. I have not had one bout of fatigue, sore throat, chills, swollen glands, muscle and joint pain since taking Vitamin D3.

Comment from: Gigi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have short term memory loss, anxiety, bowel problems, shortness of breath, sore hips and unfortunately most of the other symptoms. I also have FMS (Functional Mobility Scale) at 14 points. I have a great family and friends that keep my spirits up.

Comment from: jeannielou2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

On 4/4/90, I became ill at work. My heart felt like it was beating sideways, and irregularly. I was dizzy and had loss of balance. My back hurt. My glands were swollen a little and sore. I was experiencing a shock-like feeling going from head to toe. In general, I felt "weird" and unwell. I left work early and went straight to my doctor. I had EKG changes, a low-grade fever, could not stand with feet together and arms at my side without falling, and the dizziness was worsening. I also had a bad headache, which I had never had before. I was not a "headache" type of person. I was admitted to the hospital and all tests were negative. I was in there 10 days. On day 8, I was put on a tread mill to test my heart and I could only last 8 seconds. On the first night, I had myoclonus in my right foot, which progressed into full blown tonic colonic- like seizures by the 3rd day, but did not show up on a standard EEG. A month later I had a second one which was read as my having myoclonus. When asked to hyperventilate, it caused the "seizures" as well as the photic stimulation. However, with all this going on, I was still diagnosed for 11 years as having "depression," a conversion disorder, or some other kind of psychiatric disorder. Even with the EKG changes and low-grade fevers. Oh, I also have tinnitus since the first week and muscle weekness. Other symptoms developed as time went on. 11 years later I was diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis which I do believe is different from CFS but some insist it is the same thing.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping Question: How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?