Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: Bananas, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I believe that I have had CFS since the mid 1980's, sometimes worse than other times. I have all the classic symptoms and for years my doctors pooh poohed my condition. I have made many, many trips to the ER thinking that my chest pain was heart related by every test under the sun. Believe me, when I had angina, it wasn't the same as CSF. Now I am 83 and I am experiencing the CFS more than ever, but I am lucky to be able to rest whenever I need to. I take Cymbalta but I don't think that it helps for I still have the severe malaise, muscle pain, short term memory problems, etc., etc. It's a bummer and the worst part is you look so healthy and feel so lousy.

Comment from: Beloved, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

Blessings to my fellow CFS suffers. I was diagnosed in 1997 with FM and CFS. Thanks to all who have shared. It validates my symptoms. I also developed IBS and an irritable bladder. My illness has robbed me of many things, but it also made me a better person.

Comment from: isolated1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I have CFS and I get post-exertional malaise. I suffer from unrefreshing sleep, severe fatigue, body aches, nausea, diarrhea, headaches, chills, night sweats, dizziness, drowsiness, muscle pains, joint pains, earaches, sore throat, numbness/tingling in hands and feet, sensitivity to lights and sound, difficulty concentrating, memory problems, weight gain, low grade fevers< stress, anxiety, irritability, muscle spasms/twitching, intolerance to heat and cold.

Comment from: amanda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My symptoms are well I'm always tired no energy headaches depression can't sleep but want to, pains in my stomach, my legs arms everywhere just to walk to the letter box takes so much out of me and it has stopped me from been able to drive a lot of the time just want to stay in bed and my anxiety is getting worse.

Comment from: DreamingGirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Chronic fatigue made it impossible to return to work. For several months I literally hibernated because of my inability to ever feel rested. I lost interest in many things that always brought joy: socialization became extinct, unable to concentrate to read a book, watch a full length television program, (basically during severe episodes I just didn't leave the house and in many cases was unable to leave the bed. Doing better at present after a four day cyclic episode.

Comment from: julie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Exhaustion. Even doing chores around the house tired all the time drained, mental dullness, 7 hour nap still tired.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I am a young girl that has been very recently diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. I was told by several physicians that I was not experiencing a physical illness, but a mental one. This was not true, and for other sufferers of CFS, I'm sure you know the horrible feeling. I cannot attend school anymore, but my energy level is improving. I have been taking two helpful supplements: Vita-Big-Kids, and Magscorpblex. Also, light exercise every day (walking for 20-30 min.) helps a lot. Remember, everything could be worse, and although this illness is restricting and difficult, it's not life threatening! Stay positive :)

Comment from: d_rangel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I am not sure if CFS is what I have but it seems to fit. I am a normal 25 year old woman not over weight nor under weight. I don't have an eating disorder and no major change in my life but I have no energy. I get a normal night sleep and I work a normal 9-5 job 5 days a week. As soon as I get home all I want to do is lay down and rest. If I take my children to the park all I want to do is sit. Sometimes I feel as if I lose moments in time. For example when I am driving to work one min I am there the next I am here and even though I am fully aware of everything I feel like I was not. This is also affecting my sex drive, all I want is rest. I guess all I want is an idea of what this is and how to fix it.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping Question: How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?