Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: valerie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have significant short-term memory impairment. I thought I was getting Alzheimer's it was so severe. I had joint pain, shoulder pain, and knee pain. I also had constant muscle aches, and was always tired even after sleeping for 9 or 10 hours I still felt as if I didn't get any rest. Getting up in the morning was so extremely difficult. I get up around 6 but it takes me at least 2-1/2 hours to get dressed and out the door as I constantly rest in between my morning tasks.

Comment from: twolfe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

In short, there is no cause, no specific disease, no cure, no nothing. What a worthless article. Could have been summed up this way: We know nothing about this thing, so we gave it a name and having given it a name we are obligated to blather a bit about that which we no nothing, so reader, stop reading now.

Comment from: Maddie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have suffered from fatigue, muscle pain, joint pain, depression, anxiety; sometimes I have problems swallowing feels like the muscle in my throat just stops working and feel like I am going to choke. Had all the normal blood tests done all normal apart from raised cholesterol. Doctor keeps saying its depression and stress. I have days when I can't get out of bed because my body just won't let me, I have concentration and memory problems.

Comment from: helpless mom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My 14 year old was just diagnosed with CFS she had Mono 2 years ago she has been sick ever since headaches body aches sick to her stomach and she just wants to sleep. She does not make it to school too much it just seems to get worse. I don't know what to do for her. The doctor is sending her to physical therapy she is on a mild anti-depressant under the care of a therapist but nothing is working.

Comment from: deejdee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I've had CFS symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnosis wasn't until 1998 and it was a relief to have a name to what was wrong with me. I have had. There were three good years between 1991 first onset until today 1995, 2004 and 2006 and part of 2007 otherwise I have been ill all that time. Tests showed I had had several viruses and one doctor suggested these caused the illness. Quality of life has not been high and my husband says I am too hard on myself trying to perform tasks, but it's frustrating trying to keep a house clean and have some quality of life. In July last year after being bed ridden for more than a year, once again, I said to my husband that I can't live like this anymore. So from that day onwards I attempted to lead a normal life and just paid the price after. Before that I had been avoiding doing things and was miserable, now I am a lot happier and don't mind spending a few days in bed because I have been to the mall and bought a blouse, or visited the grandchildren, or had a meal out. Life is way better for us both.

Comment from: Maggie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I have been suffering CFS since about 3 years ago in the best moment of my life. I had a successful medical practice, was able to take care of my husband and my house. A morning in January 2009 I woke up in the morning and told my husband: I think I got a bad flu. I had sore throat, generalized muscular pain, headache and general malaise. The days went by and after two weeks I concluded that it was not a flu and what I had was not normal. I was tested for every possible illness. I got tests that I even didn't know that existed. All this to been told that everything in my body was right. After more than 4 months looking for any help and any diagnostic, a neurologist made the diagnostic of chronic fatigue syndrome. Last year I was totally bedridden for more than 6 months. After this I got better and was able to return to my normal life. But about two months ago my symptoms are returning. I'm in pain and the only think I need is to sleep. I try to keep my normal life but my body betrays me. It is so hard.

Comment from: Exhausted, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I have been suffering with CFS for about 3 years now. I had Ross River Fever and Glandular Fever before the CFS. I am exhausted most days, have sensitivities to bright lights, noise and temperatures, aching legs & feet, memory loss, dry mouth & eyes. I also have a vitamin D deficiency. My doctor is thinking of sending me to a CFS specialist in Sydney to help me learn how to manage the condition. I am still working full time but struggle with the demands of my job due to the debilitating effects of the illness.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping Question: How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?