Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: Daddy-O, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I had mononucleosis when I was 17. I am now 52. I get relapses or chronic fatigue syndrome about 3 or 4 times per year and they can last as short as a week, and as long as 3 months. Several things I have found that help are Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold (amazing) and guaifenesin (Mucinex). Also testosterone therapy has helped immensely. A nap in the late afternoon or early evening helps a lot too. I've just learned to cope the best I can, but I still can't help but believe there is something in the foods we eat that causes this.

Comment from: Rosi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I'm tired all the time and have no energy; I have chronic fatigue syndrome.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I was diagnosed in the second grade after being sick with flu like symptoms and severe fatigue for a long period of time. In the years since I have continued to deal with bouts of extreme fatigue that usually results in severe nausea and debilitating fatigue along with other symptoms such as headaches, memory problems, leg pain, sore throat etc. I am 29 now and in times of stress or if I "overdo it" I end up vomiting and I am incapacitated for several days- sometimes so ill I have to get iv fluids. I wish that I didn't have to deal with this alone- I don't currently see a dr. that knows anything about the illness.

Comment from: Hologram, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have been diagnosed with CFS, and have been afflicted for years. Taking Vitamin D has changed everything. I have not had one bout of fatigue, sore throat, chills, swollen glands, muscle and joint pain since taking Vitamin D3.

Comment from: Gigi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have short term memory loss, anxiety, bowel problems, shortness of breath, sore hips and unfortunately most of the other symptoms. I also have FMS (Functional Mobility Scale) at 14 points. I have a great family and friends that keep my spirits up.

Comment from: jeannielou2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

On 4/4/90, I became ill at work. My heart felt like it was beating sideways, and irregularly. I was dizzy and had loss of balance. My back hurt. My glands were swollen a little and sore. I was experiencing a shock-like feeling going from head to toe. In general, I felt "weird" and unwell. I left work early and went straight to my doctor. I had EKG changes, a low-grade fever, could not stand with feet together and arms at my side without falling, and the dizziness was worsening. I also had a bad headache, which I had never had before. I was not a "headache" type of person. I was admitted to the hospital and all tests were negative. I was in there 10 days. On day 8, I was put on a tread mill to test my heart and I could only last 8 seconds. On the first night, I had myoclonus in my right foot, which progressed into full blown tonic colonic- like seizures by the 3rd day, but did not show up on a standard EEG. A month later I had a second one which was read as my having myoclonus. When asked to hyperventilate, it caused the "seizures" as well as the photic stimulation. However, with all this going on, I was still diagnosed for 11 years as having "depression," a conversion disorder, or some other kind of psychiatric disorder. Even with the EKG changes and low-grade fevers. Oh, I also have tinnitus since the first week and muscle weekness. Other symptoms developed as time went on. 11 years later I was diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis which I do believe is different from CFS but some insist it is the same thing.

Comment from: twolfe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

In short, there is no cause, no specific disease, no cure, no nothing. What a worthless article. Could have been summed up this way: We know nothing about this thing, so we gave it a name and having given it a name we are obligated to blather a bit about that which we no nothing, so reader, stop reading now.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping Question: How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?