Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping

Question:How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: Pepper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am 67 and have had chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) for 30 years. These are what help me: Multivitamin, like Geritol. Doxepin 25 mg helps with muscle pain, sleeplessness, and evens out mood. Only negative is it kicks up sweet tooth and a little grogginess most days. Ribose helps a lot with added stamina. I walk every day 60 minutes indoors or outdoors. Vitamin C to prevent non-stop colds, also Zicam Rapid Melts help. For CFS hair loss, biotin, MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), and fresh squeezed cabbage juice all help a lot.

Comment from: Gillian, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I am 62 years old and was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome 2 years ago after over 20 years of doctors telling me nothing was wrong. I deal with it by gardening and doing leather work, making purses, wallets, etc. I have to be careful not to over exert myself, else I will be I'll suffer up to a week afterword. I normally sleep a full 8 to 9 hours at night and take a nap every afternoon. By doing these things I can generally be more productive.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I'm still trying to find a medication that works for my chronic pain and chronic fatigue syndrome. Extended relief medications aren't an option as most of my small intestine has been bypassed in a surgery. Morphine 30 mg 4 times a day gives no relief. I am allergic to methadone and Norco. Percocet has no effect. I am at a total loss and my pain is nonstop. I have chronic pain syndrome with no cause and fibromyalgia has been ruled out. I have taken alternatives like antidepressants, anti-seizure and others medications. I just want to be able to wake up and not cry as soon as my body moves.

Comment from: hmj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have hypothyroidism and chronic fatigue syndrome. My doctor prescribed Provigil and it gave me back my life. I can't' afford to fill the prescription in the US, so have to get it filled in a Canadian pharmacy. But I call Provigil my 'stay alive' pill.

Comment from: CrazyNanna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I cope with my chronic fatigue syndrome by first accepting that I have to size down my life. I exercise every day I can on a graded level; yoga and walking or cycling or swimming. I ensure I have an extremely healthy diet. I keep away from negativity and that means not listening to the news, not reading newspapers and eliminating friends who are negative from my life. I also spend 15 minutes on waking confirming all the good and positive things I have to look forward to that day. I have to have a strong mental attitude. I also try to eliminate stress from my life. No alcohol and early nights with good quality sleep is so important; and mixing with positive people.

Comment from: Struggleisreal, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

Get tested for mycoplasma. This bacteria has been found to lead to chronic fatigue syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia. M. genitalium is transmitted through sexual contact and is difficult to be found by the urologist or gynecologist who tests for it. But there are definitely ways to get tested, other strains of mycoplasma are M pneumoniae. This one leads to upper respiratory symptoms. There are other strains of Mycoplasma so look into it. I hope this helps, be good and stay strong!

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?