Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping

Question:How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: hmj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have hypothyroidism and chronic fatigue syndrome. My doctor prescribed Provigil and it gave me back my life. I can't' afford to fill the prescription in the US, so have to get it filled in a Canadian pharmacy. But I call Provigil my 'stay alive' pill.

Comment from: CrazyNanna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I cope with my chronic fatigue syndrome by first accepting that I have to size down my life. I exercise every day I can on a graded level; yoga and walking or cycling or swimming. I ensure I have an extremely healthy diet. I keep away from negativity and that means not listening to the news, not reading newspapers and eliminating friends who are negative from my life. I also spend 15 minutes on waking confirming all the good and positive things I have to look forward to that day. I have to have a strong mental attitude. I also try to eliminate stress from my life. No alcohol and early nights with good quality sleep is so important; and mixing with positive people.

Comment from: floss26, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I'm a 20 year old female who has chronic fatigue syndrome for 3 years now. It took my doctor 2 years to realize I had it, and it was not low iron or depression. I can't get a job as I am only able to stay awake for 4 hours a day and when I am awake I am tired and sore. I wish people would take this condition seriously as I have to live like this and I have no life now and am lucky my family is there for me as I have nothing else. There needs to be more support groups out there for us to deal with it together. Hope everyone who is unwell gets better soon.

Comment from: Jeb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am a middle-aged man who has had CFS for 10 years. It took me a while to accept that I can't cure this; I can only manage it. I have done that but regularly fall victim to the push-and-crash cycle: I feel good, do too much, and then crash. It takes weeks to get back to "normal." I take meds for mood (Prozac), sleep (Ambien) and pain (Flexiril) but Concerta has made the biggest difference; it regulates my energy level, helps me focus, and stabilizes my cognitive functions. I am able to be productive during the day (though I am still very tired at night). I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Mel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

All I can say is that after that nasty virus I got on the cruise ship in October, it knocked out my immune system. I can only now, after 4 1/2 months, go to the store, maybe walk for 5 minutes outside and then rest all day long. If I do more, I am punished by my chronic fatigue syndrome. I wake up with a nasty sinus and back of neck headache, fever, stomach issues, and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I am an otherwise healthy 66 year old, but this has made me someone else. A sick person. Golden years; what a joke! My blood tests are normal. Another joke. How can that be! I take NSAIDs for relief of headaches. If I ignore the symptoms and do not rest for hours, even days, I get flu symptoms the next day. Sometimes they last for days. I have no answers. This is not living.

Comment from: Milly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I really need to figure out how to cope with chronic fatigue syndrome. My life is falling apart my partner does not understand how hard this is for me and is constantly making me feel guilty. I can't see an end and I'm so worried I won't ever get back to normal.

Comment from: Jaybrooke, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Debra, are you taking thyroxine, or equivalent for Hashimoto's disease? I was told I had chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) years ago but I disputed it and was given a trial of thyroid hormone and became 50 to 60 percent better. Hashimoto's has many and varied symptoms similar to CFS. I started on a very low dose and it was upped over 3 months; amazing! Although I am not 100 per cent well my life is not the nightmare it was. May not be every one's answer but could be yours!

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?