Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping

Question:How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: CrazyNanna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I cope with my chronic fatigue syndrome by first accepting that I have to size down my life. I exercise every day I can on a graded level; yoga and walking or cycling or swimming. I ensure I have an extremely healthy diet. I keep away from negativity and that means not listening to the news, not reading newspapers and eliminating friends who are negative from my life. I also spend 15 minutes on waking confirming all the good and positive things I have to look forward to that day. I have to have a strong mental attitude. I also try to eliminate stress from my life. No alcohol and early nights with good quality sleep is so important; and mixing with positive people.

Comment from: floss26, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I'm a 20 year old female who has chronic fatigue syndrome for 3 years now. It took my doctor 2 years to realize I had it, and it was not low iron or depression. I can't get a job as I am only able to stay awake for 4 hours a day and when I am awake I am tired and sore. I wish people would take this condition seriously as I have to live like this and I have no life now and am lucky my family is there for me as I have nothing else. There needs to be more support groups out there for us to deal with it together. Hope everyone who is unwell gets better soon.

Comment from: Jeb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am a middle-aged man who has had CFS for 10 years. It took me a while to accept that I can't cure this; I can only manage it. I have done that but regularly fall victim to the push-and-crash cycle: I feel good, do too much, and then crash. It takes weeks to get back to "normal." I take meds for mood (Prozac), sleep (Ambien) and pain (Flexiril) but Concerta has made the biggest difference; it regulates my energy level, helps me focus, and stabilizes my cognitive functions. I am able to be productive during the day (though I am still very tired at night). I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Ben 129, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

Take Adderall for energy. My doctor put me on two 10 mg pills a day. That has done wonders. If you are on statin or fibrate, get off, that"s causing the chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

Comment from: Debra An, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I have had chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia and Hashimoto's thyroiditis since 2006. It took until 2008 to be diagnosed with CFS and fibromyalgia. I have been on so many different medications and most did not help: Wellbutrin, gabapentin, Motrin, Tylenol with Codeine, etc. Now I take Percocet and morphine to deal with the increased pain level. I also take Omega XL, which helps with the CFS, as I am not as tired as before. I think it's also lowered the pain a bit and helped with my memory issues, which were extremely bad, as I did not know where I was, previously. I also take an ADHD pill, which seems to help with my memory and has helped me sleep less. I read that the ADHD pill helps treat narcolepsy. My husband has noticed a great improvement with this drug. I rarely take naps during the day. I used to be bedridden and am now leading a halfway decent life. I treat what I eat as medication for my body. I eat to live! I crave ginger, salt, and other foods. Before getting ill, I was extremely active and loved fitness, including running, exercising (lifting weights, rock climbing, golfing, and surfing, etc.). Of course, having ADHD helped keep me full of energy.

Comment from: Jaybrooke, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Debra, are you taking thyroxine, or equivalent for Hashimoto's disease? I was told I had chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) years ago but I disputed it and was given a trial of thyroid hormone and became 50 to 60 percent better. Hashimoto's has many and varied symptoms similar to CFS. I started on a very low dose and it was upped over 3 months; amazing! Although I am not 100 per cent well my life is not the nightmare it was. May not be every one's answer but could be yours!

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?