Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping

Question:How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: Once_a_hotshot, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I've had six years now of being tired. Luckily, I kept my job, family, etc. Work is tough since I am 1/10th the person I used to be. So when I tell my doctor I fear losing my job due to fatigue, he says I have anxiety and depression. It is funny how they won't admit they are wrong after failing for six years. Seriously, my impression of the U.S. medical system is very much decreased. The post-exertion malaise is so true. I find myself unable to move for 16 hours, and my wife will remind me that I washed the car, by hand, two days ago. That symptom is dead on the money for me. Overall, it is just so tough to accept that my cognition and memory are gone – while watching smokers and other people eating junk food have lots of energy.

Comment from: Bek, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm 24 and have been diagnosed with CFS. I was told it was fibromyalgia by several doctors and never felt right with that diagnosis. In reading about CFS it fits my feelings like a glove. i feel hopeless. I'm a pre-med student that has to come to the realization that I simply can't keep up with all the classes and homework anymore. I feel as if my dreams were taken away. I'm hoping I can figure out how to get back in the "swing of things".

Comment from: skinnyminny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I was diagnosed with CFS almost 20 years ago when I was in high school. Now, my greatest (only) accomplishment each day is getting my daughters ready for school and providing something that resembles a healthy, well-balanced supper.

Comment from: PixieBoots, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I have had fibromyalgia/CFS for over 4 years now since the birth of my second child. Over the years I have tried everything. I finally settled on a more natural approach. I discovered 'Fatigued to Fantastic'. It is a powder that is mixed with juice/water to make a relatively nice drink. It is packed with massive doses of just about everything your body needs. I started to feel better within 3 weeks and within 3 months I found my mental health was better and I was sleeping better and I could even go out cycling with my kids and go on the trampoline and not pay the price the following day. On a scale, I feel about 80% better, still not perfect, but I have my life back now. I am not saying this will work for everyone, but it has changed my life for the better. I have been using it for about 9 months now with only one 'episode' where I had a viral infection and anyone knows that illness makes CFS/FM worse.

Comment from: Bonita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) for two years now, although I have suffered with it for the last five. For me, it is an ongoing process. I am able to make it through most days with the DMAE and a vitamin B-complex that I take in the morning for brain fog. (I have just recently come across this and discontinued my Vyvanse prescription.) and I take Neurontin and Ambien at night. For the most part, I am living a normal life. I just have to remember not to push it. Simple things can wear me out (a trip to Wal-Mart, walking with my husband around the block, etc.). I am learning more and more about me and how to live with this. When I forget and push my body, or if I just have a bad day, I take it in stride knowing that this too shall pass.

Comment from: 35yrmalecfs, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

My chronic fatigue is more mental than physical. I do get physically fatigued and sore after exercise or waking up and can't overexert myself. I get dizzy reading and paying bills. I have to pace myself, but make sure I get out and do some yoga and walking. I use a sauna to help with the sickly feeling and stress. I avoid chemicals and preservatives. I minimize caffeine, if not avoid it completely. Caffeine makes me nuts. I take vitamin D3, C, A, E, and B vitamins. Avoiding stress is key, and my stressful job pushed me into a hole.

Comment from: embers, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

Some days, I don't cope. I just lie in bed, wondering why I am so tired after waking up. My eyes run and tear every morning. If I have appointments, I push myself to do them. I pretend I am OK on the outside. This is embarrassing to have. I hate it. I've had CFS for 12 years now, and it's worse, not better. I have hope that someday this will be fixed.

Comment from: Billie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

It took a long and painful time before I reached acceptance with my chronic fatigue syndrome. I now train in meditation, relaxation techniques and tai chi to get better. Currently, I am free from pain and extreme weakness most of the time, but my activities (working, staying with friends, household, exercise) are really limited. I need 14 hours of sleep every day. If I decide to do more things, then I suffer, but at least it's a choice, unlike before, during two years of daily agony. Acupuncture has helped strengthen my liver and spleen. Small doses of caffeine (not coffee) give me energy in the morning, and homeopathic medicines help me sleep at night. For me, the key thing is to be aware of my symptoms so that I know when to stop, although it is not easy.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?