Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping

Question:How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with CFS after an initial incorrect diagnosis of mono a year and a half earlier. I found the greatest relief from acupuncture and Chinese herbs, but also got noticeable results from anti-depressants and naturopathic treatment, in that order. My symptoms disappeared entirely for several months after the birth of each of my two children but returned 6-9 months later. My symptoms improved very gradually over the next several years and disappeared entirely when I began early symptoms of menopause at age 38. I have been able to lead a completely normal life for the last 10 years. No one has ever been so happy with menopause.

Comment from: sarabelle819, Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am extremely frustrated with chronic fatigue syndrome. I've gone to many doctors and it feels as if I've tried every drug out there. The best drugs for me are Wellbutrin XL and Concerta. They do not erase the problem, but they are the most helpful to me. When ephedrine was on the market, it was my best friend. It's technically on the market again, but not as good as it used to be. I recommend that you talk to your doctor about Concerta, Adderall or some other form of Ritalin, it's the only thing that's given me hope.

Comment from: Jaybrooke, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Debra, are you taking thyroxine, or equivalent for Hashimoto's disease? I was told I had chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) years ago but I disputed it and was given a trial of thyroid hormone and became 50 to 60 percent better. Hashimoto's has many and varied symptoms similar to CFS. I started on a very low dose and it was upped over 3 months; amazing! Although I am not 100 per cent well my life is not the nightmare it was. May not be every one's answer but could be yours!

Comment from: orchidqueen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I first got sick in 1999. I came down with a very bad case of mono and my life changed forever. My doctor sent me to a rheumatologist. All they want to do is put you on antidepressants. I discovered that DHEA works wonders and believe me it does! I started out on a huge dose and now am down to 25 mgs a day unless I'm feeling sick, then i take 50 mgs a day. It's a miracle worker!

Comment from: Once_a_hotshot, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I've had six years now of being tired. Luckily, I kept my job, family, etc. Work is tough since I am 1/10th the person I used to be. So when I tell my doctor I fear losing my job due to fatigue, he says I have anxiety and depression. It is funny how they won't admit they are wrong after failing for six years. Seriously, my impression of the U.S. medical system is very much decreased. The post-exertion malaise is so true. I find myself unable to move for 16 hours, and my wife will remind me that I washed the car, by hand, two days ago. That symptom is dead on the money for me. Overall, it is just so tough to accept that my cognition and memory are gone – while watching smokers and other people eating junk food have lots of energy.

Comment from: Bek, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm 24 and have been diagnosed with CFS. I was told it was fibromyalgia by several doctors and never felt right with that diagnosis. In reading about CFS it fits my feelings like a glove. But...now i feel hopeless. I'm a pre-med student that has to come to the realization that I simply can't keep up with all the classes and homework anymore. I feel as if my dreams were taken away. I'm hoping I can figure out how to get back in the "swing of things".

Comment from: skinnyminny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I was diagnosed with CFS almost 20 years ago when I was in high school. Now, my greatest (only) accomplishment each day is getting my daughters ready for school and providing something that resembles a healthy, well-balanced supper.

Comment from: PixieBoots, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I have had fibromyalgia/CFS for over 4 years now since the birth of my second child. Over the years I have tried everything. I finally settled on a more natural approach. I discovered 'Fatigued to Fantastic'. It is a powder that is mixed with juice/water to make a relatively nice drink. It is packed with massive doses of just about everything your body needs. I started to feel better within 3 weeks and within 3 months I found my mental health was better and I was sleeping better and I could even go out cycling with my kids and go on the trampoline and not pay the price the following day. On a scale, I feel about 80% better, still not perfect, but I have my life back now. I am not saying this will work for everyone, but it has changed my life for the better. I have been using it for about 9 months now with only one 'episode' where I had a viral infection and anyone knows that illness makes CFS/FM worse.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?