Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping

Question:How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: Bonita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) for two years now, although I have suffered with it for the last five. For me, it is an ongoing process. I am able to make it through most days with the DMAE and a vitamin B-complex that I take in the morning for brain fog. (I have just recently come across this and discontinued my Vyvanse prescription.) and I take Neurontin and Ambien at night. For the most part, I am living a normal life. I just have to remember not to push it. Simple things can wear me out (a trip to Wal-Mart, walking with my husband around the block, etc.). I am learning more and more about me and how to live with this. When I forget and push my body, or if I just have a bad day, I take it in stride knowing that this too shall pass.

Comment from: 35yrmalecfs, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

My chronic fatigue is more mental than physical. I do get physically fatigued and sore after exercise or waking up and can't overexert myself. I get dizzy reading and paying bills. I have to pace myself, but make sure I get out and do some yoga and walking. I use a sauna to help with the sickly feeling and stress. I avoid chemicals and preservatives. I minimize caffeine, if not avoid it completely. Caffeine makes me nuts. I take vitamin D3, C, A, E, and B vitamins. Avoiding stress is key, and my stressful job pushed me into a hole.

Comment from: embers, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

Some days, I don't cope. I just lie in bed, wondering why I am so tired after waking up. My eyes run and tear every morning. If I have appointments, I push myself to do them. I pretend I am OK on the outside. This is embarrassing to have. I hate it. I've had CFS for 12 years now, and it's worse, not better. I have hope that someday this will be fixed.

Comment from: Billie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

It took a long and painful time before I reached acceptance with my chronic fatigue syndrome. I now train in meditation, relaxation techniques and tai chi to get better. Currently, I am free from pain and extreme weakness most of the time, but my activities (working, staying with friends, household, exercise) are really limited. I need 14 hours of sleep every day. If I decide to do more things, then I suffer, but at least it's a choice, unlike before, during two years of daily agony. Acupuncture has helped strengthen my liver and spleen. Small doses of caffeine (not coffee) give me energy in the morning, and homeopathic medicines help me sleep at night. For me, the key thing is to be aware of my symptoms so that I know when to stop, although it is not easy.

Comment from: Katy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

To cope with my chronic fatigue syndrome, I have been taking magnesium. It helps with the pain. Also, I started acupuncture. It has helped some. To help me sleep, I use valerian drops.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I find chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) to be extremely frustrating. I am a mom of two young boys, 7 and 8 years old. The limits CFS and fibromyalgia have put on my life is extreme. After much frustrated searching, I have come to this conclusion: It is not curable, only manageable and even then still unpredictable. Conventional medicine is extremely limited. Homeopathy is an ongoing management tool and is so extensive in options, you need to see what works for you, and use it on a regular basis. It's also a very expensive option, but you get to a point where you feel as if you have no choice. I think the biggest problem with this illness is your mindset. I am a born fighter and battle to accept that I cannot fix this! This has a huge impact on how I deal with CFS on a daily basis. I am constantly fighting my natural instinct to beat this, versus my limitations. I feel that perhaps if I didn't fight it so much, but rather accepted it and learned to live within these limitations, life could be easier. I have been diagnosed for three years now, but I have suffered with it longer than that. For me, CFS is a daily struggle. When I wake up, I know pretty much how my day will play out. Having a good support system in place is essential, and get over the guilt!

Comment from: iametrinity, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

At first all I did was cry my life was no life. Then gradually I started to force myself to take very short walks, listened to medical tapes soothing music, hot baths, less eating, less pain, and less meds. Think love, think god all the time and you'll be surprised at what energy you have.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Chronic fatigue has really changed my life. I can no longer do as much as I used to and that really frustrates me. I have found that stopping and resting when I feel tired helps. If I push it, I pay with worse fatigue for days. Above all, I try to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. Any less than that and I can't even function the next day. Family's, please don't give us a hard time! The fatigue and pain are real.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?