Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping

Question:How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: Abbegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I am so frustrated and so angry! I have been suffering with this for almost 4 years now. I have gone to several doctors, only to be told the same thing, "It's depression!" I know my body and I know my mind, and this is NOT depression! When it feels like someone has pulled the plug from my body and every ounce of energy is being drained, and I don't have the energy to even sit up. That is not depression! I admit I am probably somewhat depressed because this goes on daily, and anyone would be depressed if they don't have the energy to enjoy their life anymore. I am at a loss here!

Comment from: Kicking, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis at the age of 18. After one month, I was better, only to succumb one week later after a heavy 2 hour workout. This first bout of fatigue lasted 9 months straight, with zero reprieves. Everyone around me thought I was nuts and it was all in my head (family members are surgeons and nurses). I was a reasonably high-level athlete at the time, so this whole thing blew my life away. Incidentally, back then the term CFS had not yet been coined. The next several years got better, with the bouts lasting less time (6 months, then 4 months, then 1 month at a time), and I eventually began to know when a bout was going to hit. 25 years later, I am just getting over another unexplained 2 week bout. This being said, when I'm healthy, I'm healthy and I remain an active and competitive athlete. The best luck I've had in all these years is D-Ribose, which I just discovered this past Fall. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone; it really had a huge negative impact on my life, especially during my 18-25 year age range. My wife of 16 years still thinks I'm a hypochondriac when I get bouts. This is arguably more frustrating than the actual fatigue and I believe this extra stress point only makes it worse!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with CFS after an initial incorrect diagnosis of mono a year and a half earlier. I found the greatest relief from acupuncture and Chinese herbs, but also got noticeable results from anti-depressants and naturopathic treatment, in that order. My symptoms disappeared entirely for several months after the birth of each of my two children but returned 6-9 months later. My symptoms improved very gradually over the next several years and disappeared entirely when I began early symptoms of menopause at age 38. I have been able to lead a completely normal life for the last 10 years. No one has ever been so happy with menopause.

Comment from: sarabelle819, Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am extremely frustrated with chronic fatigue syndrome. I've gone to many doctors and it feels as if I've tried every drug out there. The best drugs for me are Wellbutrin XL and Concerta. They do not erase the problem, but they are the most helpful to me. When ephedrine was on the market, it was my best friend. It's technically on the market again, but not as good as it used to be. I recommend that you talk to your doctor about Concerta, Adderall or some other form of Ritalin, it's the only thing that's given me hope.

Comment from: Bek, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm 24 and have been diagnosed with CFS. I was told it was fibromyalgia by several doctors and never felt right with that diagnosis. In reading about CFS it fits my feelings like a glove. But...now i feel hopeless. I'm a pre-med student that has to come to the realization that I simply can't keep up with all the classes and homework anymore. I feel as if my dreams were taken away. I'm hoping I can figure out how to get back in the "swing of things".

Comment from: skinnyminny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I was diagnosed with CFS almost 20 years ago when I was in high school. Now, my greatest (only) accomplishment each day is getting my daughters ready for school and providing something that resembles a healthy, well-balanced supper.

Comment from: PixieBoots, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I have had fibromyalgia/CFS for over 4 years now since the birth of my second child. Over the years I have tried everything. I finally settled on a more natural approach. I discovered 'Fatigued to Fantastic'. It is a powder that is mixed with juice/water to make a relatively nice drink. It is packed with massive doses of just about everything your body needs. I started to feel better within 3 weeks and within 3 months I found my mental health was better and I was sleeping better and I could even go out cycling with my kids and go on the trampoline and not pay the price the following day. On a scale, I feel about 80% better, still not perfect, but I have my life back now. I am not saying this will work for everyone, but it has changed my life for the better. I have been using it for about 9 months now with only one 'episode' where I had a viral infection and anyone knows that illness makes CFS/FM worse.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?