Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping

Question:How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: Ben 129, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

Take Adderall for energy. My doctor put me on two 10 mg pills a day. That has done wonders. If you are on statin or fibrate, get off, that"s causing the chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

Comment from: Debra An, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I have had chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia and Hashimoto's thyroiditis since 2006. It took until 2008 to be diagnosed with CFS and fibromyalgia. I have been on so many different medications and most did not help: Wellbutrin, gabapentin, Motrin, Tylenol with Codeine, etc. Now I take Percocet and morphine to deal with the increased pain level. I also take Omega XL, which helps with the CFS, as I am not as tired as before. I think it's also lowered the pain a bit and helped with my memory issues, which were extremely bad, as I did not know where I was, previously. I also take an ADHD pill, which seems to help with my memory and has helped me sleep less. I read that the ADHD pill helps treat narcolepsy. My husband has noticed a great improvement with this drug. I rarely take naps during the day. I used to be bedridden and am now leading a halfway decent life. I treat what I eat as medication for my body. I eat to live! I crave ginger, salt, and other foods. Before getting ill, I was extremely active and loved fitness, including running, exercising (lifting weights, rock climbing, golfing, and surfing, etc.). Of course, having ADHD helped keep me full of energy.

Comment from: oooooooo, 35-44 (Patient) Published: October 07

Hi, I have had chronic fatigue syndrome for about five years now. I have been unable to hold down a job. Life can be a struggle but I have learned not to fight against it. You must not allow your illness to take over your life. Some days are a struggle and society does not seem to accept this as a real illness. We, however, know the truth and that this is a very real condition. This condition changes peoples lives and there families.

Comment from: sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

It's is good to read others comments and not to feel so all alone. I had mono over 10 years ago and have fought CFS since then. My doctor first sent me to see a psychiatrist but I knew I wasn't depressed, I just felt terrible. I still fight this. My doctor tells me not to get stressed. My mother died a few months ago, I fell off a horse and fractured my neck badly, my brother is going to federal prison, I lost my job, I am losing my health insurance, lost two dogs and a horse in the last few weeks, and now I sleep 16 hours a day. I can't get anything done, and hope no one thinks I'm being lazy. My sister swears on Standard Process Dramamine, but it only helps me a little. I'm on Lipitor and my legs kill me at night. Sleeping pills don't seem to work for me. Now I just pray for help. Thanks for listening (reading) because I feel a little better right now. Best wishes to everyone who fights this condition.

Comment from: Abbegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I am so frustrated and so angry! I have been suffering with this for almost 4 years now. I have gone to several doctors, only to be told the same thing, "It's depression!" I know my body and I know my mind, and this is NOT depression! When it feels like someone has pulled the plug from my body and every ounce of energy is being drained, and I don't have the energy to even sit up. That is not depression! I admit I am probably somewhat depressed because this goes on daily, and anyone would be depressed if they don't have the energy to enjoy their life anymore. I am at a loss here!

Comment from: Kicking, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis at the age of 18. After one month, I was better, only to succumb one week later after a heavy 2 hour workout. This first bout of fatigue lasted 9 months straight, with zero reprieves. Everyone around me thought I was nuts and it was all in my head (family members are surgeons and nurses). I was a reasonably high-level athlete at the time, so this whole thing blew my life away. Incidentally, back then the term CFS had not yet been coined. The next several years got better, with the bouts lasting less time (6 months, then 4 months, then 1 month at a time), and I eventually began to know when a bout was going to hit. 25 years later, I am just getting over another unexplained 2 week bout. This being said, when I'm healthy, I'm healthy and I remain an active and competitive athlete. The best luck I've had in all these years is D-Ribose, which I just discovered this past Fall. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone; it really had a huge negative impact on my life, especially during my 18-25 year age range. My wife of 16 years still thinks I'm a hypochondriac when I get bouts. This is arguably more frustrating than the actual fatigue and I believe this extra stress point only makes it worse!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with CFS after an initial incorrect diagnosis of mono a year and a half earlier. I found the greatest relief from acupuncture and Chinese herbs, but also got noticeable results from anti-depressants and naturopathic treatment, in that order. My symptoms disappeared entirely for several months after the birth of each of my two children but returned 6-9 months later. My symptoms improved very gradually over the next several years and disappeared entirely when I began early symptoms of menopause at age 38. I have been able to lead a completely normal life for the last 10 years. No one has ever been so happy with menopause.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases Question: In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you had for chronic fatigue syndrome? What medications do you take?