Patient Comments: Chronic Cough - Remedies

What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?

Comment from: Steph, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have had my chronic cough for 6 years. I had all testing possible, changed blood pressure pills too. Nothing stopped the constant cough. People were worried. Then I went off all carbs. No bread, crackers, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc., just to try and get my weight down. Suddenly I noticed I had not coughed for over two weeks! Today I had a bun at lunch and exactly two hours later I was coughing again for an hour! To check it out I had another bun much later in the day and 2 hours later cough started again for one hour! I think I found the answer, it could be the wheat! Maybe you could try that. I miss the bread so that is why I had a bun today.

Comment from: JSAL, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have had a persistent cough for 4 years. My doctor said I had acid reflux and allergies. I was prescribed omeprazole and allergy medication. I read up on acid reflux and followed that diet which helped out a little. But life was still terrible. I wanted to rule out lung cancer and throat cancer so I had to be persistent with doctor to rule those out. He only had my throat scoped and found nothing. I switched doctors. My new doctor ordered 2 tests to start; x-ray to check lungs and a (Helicobacter pylori) test. This checks for pylori infection in your stomach. It came back positive! I was given medication (a 10 day treatment plan) which I will start tomorrow. I have read up on this bacterial infection and it can cause a chronic cough. I will let you know in 11 days if this fixed my cough of 4 years. Hope this helps somebody.

Comment from: Emily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I suffered from chronic cough for over 5 years. I would start coughing around November and not stop until May. It felt like I always had something dripping down the back of my throat, making me cough. I tried allergy tests, medicines, inhalers, and nothing really helped. People recognized me walking down the hall by my cough and my co-workers and family were always annoyed. I started using a nasal rinse every morning (Neilmed sinus rinse, I found it on Amazon, but pharmacies have it too), and it seemed to help! I did not have the chronic cough last winter for the first time in 7 years! It changed my life and I wanted to share this information. I am hoping it holds true this winter as well. It's a cheap solution and worth a try. You need to be consistent for it to really work.

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: May 17

I have had Pneumonia twice, chest x ray is normal now, however I have developed a chronic cough that starts with a tickling of the throat with a drainage that is different than before several times a day. I have to drink water and put a cough drop in my mouth to stop this. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to stop. I have an inhaler but it does not stop the cough. This is very irritating because I have to keep a cough drop in my mouth even to go shopping and sometimes even then I will start to cough. I have tried all kinds of allergy medicines but they do not work. I don't go out to eat any more because of this.

Comment from: dlc110, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had a cough for 15 years that was unresponsive to any allergy asthma or reflux treatment. My cough was uncontrollable and violent triggered by singing, talking, standing up, eating and siting. I would have a choking coughing spell at least once every time I was in church. Anytime and every time I would eat something scratchy such as chips, peanuts etc. without fail the first bite taken would cause me to start coughing for at least 30 seconds . Every time I would talk on the phone my family new that eventually that I would start coughing so hard that they would just have to call me back. They were used to it. People would suggest different things to take they said might help and I would just say you don't understand I've tried everything and nothing helps. When I read about sensory neuropathic cough (nerve damage to throat) I cried for 20 minutes because finally after 15 years there was a diagnosis for what I had, and 10 mg amitryptiline was the cure. My life has changed dramatically my cough is 90 percent better I call it my miracle pill. Two months on the medicine reversed the nerve damage in my throat after all these years. Thank you doctors for your research thank you very much.

Chronic Cough - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your chronic cough established?
Chronic Cough - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you used for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Causes Question: Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic cough.
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with a chronic cough.