Patient Comments: Chronic Cough - Remedies

What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?

Comment from: bharti s., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had cough and cold for 3 days and consulted doctor. Medication given by the doctor is Ocid capsule (2) Allegra tablet (3) cefixime capsule and Codistar syrup followed by Allegra tablet. Now continuous chronic cough persists in the night.

Comment from: Emily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I suffered from chronic cough for over 5 years. I would start coughing around November and not stop until May. It felt like I always had something dripping down the back of my throat, making me cough. I tried allergy tests, medicines, inhalers, and nothing really helped. People recognized me walking down the hall by my cough and my co-workers and family were always annoyed. I started using a nasal rinse every morning (Neilmed sinus rinse, I found it on Amazon, but pharmacies have it too), and it seemed to help! I did not have the chronic cough last winter for the first time in 7 years! It changed my life and I wanted to share this information. I am hoping it holds true this winter as well. It's a cheap solution and worth a try. You need to be consistent for it to really work.

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: May 17

I have had Pneumonia twice, chest x ray is normal now, however I have developed a chronic cough that starts with a tickling of the throat with a drainage that is different than before several times a day. I have to drink water and put a cough drop in my mouth to stop this. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to stop. I have an inhaler but it does not stop the cough. This is very irritating because I have to keep a cough drop in my mouth even to go shopping and sometimes even then I will start to cough. I have tried all kinds of allergy medicines but they do not work. I don't go out to eat any more because of this.

Comment from: dlc110, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had a cough for 15 years that was unresponsive to any allergy asthma or reflux treatment. My cough was uncontrollable and violent triggered by singing, talking, standing up, eating and siting. I would have a choking coughing spell at least once every time I was in church. Anytime and every time I would eat something scratchy such as chips, peanuts etc. without fail the first bite taken would cause me to start coughing for at least 30 seconds . Every time I would talk on the phone my family new that eventually that I would start coughing so hard that they would just have to call me back. They were used to it. People would suggest different things to take they said might help and I would just say you don't understand I've tried everything and nothing helps. When I read about sensory neuropathic cough (nerve damage to throat) I cried for 20 minutes because finally after 15 years there was a diagnosis for what I had, and 10 mg amitryptiline was the cure. My life has changed dramatically my cough is 90 percent better I call it my miracle pill. Two months on the medicine reversed the nerve damage in my throat after all these years. Thank you doctors for your research thank you very much.

Comment from: Eunice, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I have had a chronic cough for about 15 years. I regularly suffer, at least once a year with bronchitis. The only cure for me is 10 days of penicillin. But the chronic cough may not be part of the bronchitis, but the coughing is worse at this time. I have GERD (gastro intestinal reflux disease) so the doctor's tend to think this AND stress have caused this cough. I've had dozens of tests and I feel that doctors are guessing with GERD. I once smoked but the cough was not part of those years but arrived much later when I was under extreme stress at work. In those days, I would go through about 2 bottles of Gaviscon a week at work, the heartburn was so bad. I later started got a prescription for Nexium and have been taking that for about 10 years. The heartburn is under control with that but the coughing (about 10 times daily) continues.

Comment from: Kneo, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 30

My 17 year old son was diagnosed with Glandular fever and two days later with measles, he was sick for two weeks and missed school he has been coughing from day. That is he has been coughing for four weeks. But now he is feverish again and can't eat because he says there is a pain in his chest when he swallows. Please help I do not know what to do anymore. He is a smart A student.

Chronic Cough - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your chronic cough established?
Chronic Cough - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you used for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Causes Question: Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic cough.
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with a chronic cough.