Patient Comments: Chronic Cough - Diagnosis

Question:How was the diagnosis of your chronic cough established?

Comment from: Lillyandra, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I have had a chronic cough for the past 30 years. It is a dry, barking cough that sounds like a sneeze, and I frequently hack up clear mucus. I am constantly hoarse, have a sore throat, sinus infections, bronchitis, and occasionally, I throw up from hacking so hard. I have been to allergists, doctors, surgeons, and lung specialists. I have had surgery on my sinuses, 10 years of allergy shots, nasal spray, inhalers, pills, cut out dairy, removed my pets from my home, etc., and it has not done one bit of good. I sound like I am always sick, and I don't blame people for wanting to steer clear of somebody who is hoarse, has a barking cough, the sniffles, and is constantly blowing her nose and clearing her throat. I wish that there was something that could help me. I don't want to spend the rest of my life this sick and miserable, but I've given up on life being normal or good.

Comment from: rbarlow72, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 11/2014. I have a chronic cough for the last five months now that currently is active. I had a break between this cough and my last series of coughing from July to November 2014. It is annoying and getting out of hand. I am being sent for a sleep study and told my esophagus is small too. I have reactive airway disease, as well, costochondritis, osteoarthritis, etc. So I was looking to see if this cough is related to fibromyalgia too since everything is getting a name and tends to be related. I get mucus in my throat constantly and get hoarse and sore throat from time to time with the coughing. Just tired of all of it. My primary care physician says most people with fibromyalgia should be sleep apnea tested, more than none have it. A small esophagus and sleep apnea can cause acid to build up and cause coughing too he says. I will know May 2015.

Comment from: LKY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a chronic cough for over two years. One day my heating and air conditioning in my car went out. Within a few days my coughing stopped. Right after that I read an article in Reader's Digest that water in the hoses can collect moisture which turns to mold, and then we blow these in our faces every time we drive. Also room air conditioners get water in the bottom and we blow those in our faces too. A few shots of Lysol in the car vents will help. Clean out any wall unit with bleach and Lysol. It saved my life. To this day I cannot take fans or air blowing in my face. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Coughmeister, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

In 2002, shortly after being diagnosed with H. pylori, I developed a chronic cough. I was sent for X-rays, CT scans, etc., which all came back normal. An ENT specialist said I have GERD (after having my tonsils out a few years back to help the coughing). Another doctor said I had bronchitis. A pulmonary doctor said I have asthma. The albuterol and Advair helped, but it didn't go away. I tried steroids and codeine syrups, but nothing seems to work permanently. My cough is productive, but my throat gets irritated from it, and I sometimes wet my pants a little when having an attack. It seems to be worse when the weather is damp or muggy. I cannot go inside a used bookstore or most of the large clothing stores. I go into coughing fits and start gagging, my eyes tear up, and I run for the door! My chronic cough keeps me from doing things or going around people for fear of having an “attack” and being embarrassed (again). It is particularly bad after eating a meal. I'm tired of clearing my throat all the time and coughing my head off. I feel bad that my coughing may annoy my husband, but he says it doesn't. It's been almost seven years now, and I have no more energy.

Comment from: priscilla, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

My doctor tells me I have post nasal drip. I went for a CT scan and all was well. The cough is so persistent and does not react to any medication. The sputum is colored blackish and this makes it so irritating. It's been 2 years now, no change.

Comment from: Perry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had a chronic cough for 20 plus years. I have been to so many doctors and had so many tests. They tell me there is no reason they can find that I should cough. Sometimes I cough so much I feel like I am going to pass out. I cannot get my breath (so scary). I am almost to the point I do not want to go out anywhere. I just start this chronic cough for no reason and it is very embarrassing. Don't think I can handle this as I get older.

Chronic Cough - Remedies Question: What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you used for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Causes Question: Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic cough.
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with a chronic cough.