Patient Comments: Chronic Cough - Diagnosis

Question:How was the diagnosis of your chronic cough established?

Comment from: smalltownlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have had my cough for three years. I have had asthma inhalers (no help); have been on GERD medicines (three types/seven pills per day); two endoscopies; cat scans; lung X-rays; pulmonary lung tests. All of them came back perfectly fine. I also had a 24-hour esophageal halter to wear. As soon as I put a piece of food in my mouth, it sets off an avalanche of coughing (very embarrassing and gross when dining with others)! I also lose my voice when talking and coughing, and sometimes I throw up. My doctor has suggested tests for Parkinson's disease. Are you kidding? I am at my wit's end!

Comment from: Jeni, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had a chronic cough for more than 15 years. I've seen specialists, had x-rays, ct scans, allergy tests, you name it, with nothing that shows and still the cough persists. There are only two things that doctors have given me that work to control the cough, codeine and albuterol. I can't have codeine on a regular basis because of the addictive properties, they think I'll become a junkie, and I hate using albuterol all the time. Anyone else have this kind of persistent cough?

Comment from: Relief from Coughing, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My story is a lot like the September 17th posting. I get a cough that turns into a chronic cough. I have the trickle thing I can feel in back of my throat. I have had this for about 18 years. I cough all the time and sometimes until I throw up. When I get this I will have this for months. I've seen lots of doctors and no one knows how to treat me some treat me with acute bronchitis, allergies, coughing asthma. I did MRI and X-Ray, allergy testing, have good lung capacity (note I never smoked) and they thought I had Lupus too and went to rheumatologist I did not have Lupus. I have inhalers which do nothing. I just want some relief to stop coughing.

Chronic Cough - Remedies Question: What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you used for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Causes Question: Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough?