Patient Comments: Chronic Cough - Diagnosis

Question:How was the diagnosis of your chronic cough established?

Comment from: Julie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Ever since about sophomore year of high school it seemed that whenever I caught a cold I was left with a moderate to severe cough for about a month or two. It concerns and bothers everyone around me. I was taken to the doctor the first time I had it, but all they did was give me some cough syrup that didn't help at all. Everyone tells me to drink some water, take some medicine, or suck on some cough drops, but they don't understand that it's my lungs causing the problem and not my throat! Since nobody will listen to me, I'm not sure what to do about it besides wait it out.

Comment from: tired one, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I"m 42 years old and have had a chronic cough for 9 years. I've been to numerous doctors, have had more pills than you can imagine. It's exhausting, I"m tired and my job as a server is hard. No doctor can find anything wrong.

Comment from: Abby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 26 years old and have been coughing for 19 years now. I don't sleep a lot, and it can be very embarrassing in public to be couching until choking. It's worse when I get hot or nervous too. I've had spirometry tests, chest X-rays, and all kinds of inhalers that don't work and drug after drug that doesn't work. I've tried natural therapies with little relief, and now I take codeine daily as it's the only thing that stops my coughing so I can get to sleep. It's not ideal though. The doctor has put it down to me “just having sensitive airways,” but I think there must be something that can be done. My whole life is disrupted -- work, family, everything -- I wish someone could find a solution because if I have to put up with this much longer I will go crazy. It seems there's nothing I can do but just soldier on. I hate it.

Comment from: Susanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I went to many specialists for my chronic cough. I had been to an allergist and had allergy shots, medications, and inhalers given to me. Then I went to a pulmonary doctor and was given sleep tests, lung function tests, and more inhalers. My regular doctor gave me more ACE inhibitors. I had been coughing for a long time. I went to a rheumatologist. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. He is the one who suggested that my blood pressure medicine was causing my cough. I stopped taking the medicine. I know it's not recommended, but I was at my wits end. Low and behold, I stopped coughing in four days. I am going back to the doctor and am trying to get a blood pressure pill that is not an ACE inhibitor. I can actually sleep pretty good at night now without the constant coughing. I hope some of this helps you.

Comment from: VH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had a chronic cough for more than eight years. X-rays have always come up clear. It is mostly non-productive. Sometimes, the coughing spell is so bad that I have pain in my lateral back on both sides. Now it has gotten so bad that I wear pads in case I leak from my bladder or have dry heaves/abdominal cramps. It's worse when I first lie down or wake up in the morning. I'm at my wits end. I have eaten cough drops for just as long, as they give some temporary relief. I am only 48 years old. This is something I want to stop. It is quite embarrassing in public.

Comment from: Sruti K., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Every year, from October to January, I cough. This has been going on since 1972. It's a very dry cough that irritates my throat. It's the heaviest in the mornings and evenings. I sweat heavily and my eyes water when I cough. I have seen no improvement after taking homeopathic, allopathic and ayurvedic medicines.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had a chronic cough for months. I was treated for an upper respiratory infection, but I'm not cured yet. I got the infection in the summer and now it's November/December. Sometimes I use an inhaler. I've also tried cough meds with codeine, and Sudafed. I am always tired, especially from coughing. At first, I thought it was asthma, but the doctor said it wasn't.

Comment from: Help, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had a chronic cough for five years. I just start coughing, and then I vomited. I'm so tired; it just won't stop. I can't go places because when I start coughing, I can't stop. I have been to doctors, but they can't find out why my chest X-ray keeps coming back fine. I get embarrassed at times because I also pass gas when I cough. I really can't help it People look at me as if I have the plague. I tell them I'm fine, I just can't stop coughing. I have been on all kinds of medicines, and nothing works.

Chronic Cough - Remedies Question: What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you used for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Causes Question: Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic cough.
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with a chronic cough.