Patient Comments: Chronic Cough - Diagnosis

Question:How was the diagnosis of your chronic cough established?

Comment from: design911, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

After each summer, we turn the air conditioner off, and soon after, we turn the heat on. I realized that as soon as the house is closed up tight, I get a chronic cough and my allergies and asthma flair up for the entire winter. My whole system starts to disintegrate. I have been told that there are toxins in gas stoves, wood floors, etc., which are expelled into the air that exacerbate allergies and asthma. These toxins can cause rhinitis, hence my post-nasal drip and cough. I now open my windows, regardless of the weather, and try to circulate fresh air throughout the house each morning. I find this helps, along with Allegra, Singular and drinking lots of water to keep hydrated. My cough is starting to go away, but it will take a while.

Comment from: Coughing Still, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had this annoying chronic cough for almost two years and nothing has been found to be wrong with me. It started shortly after a cold or shortly after I started on Indapamide. I had less of a cough after I switched to hydrochlorothiazide for my hypertension. Although it is better now (it's not as frequent), the coughing is just as intense. Dust, certain air conditioning systems, stress, high humidity, eating too many sweets, and just smelling tobacco smoke will set it off. Pantoloc will help sometimes, but not all the time, so I don't think I can blame it on reflux. Less dust certainly helps. Oh, I never cough when I am outside. I've tried all the puffers and the anti-nasal drip medications, but nothing helps!

Comment from: Ryan127, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have had a chronic cough for the last several years. Last February, I ended up with pneumonia and was hospitalized. Not responding to treatment, I had a CT scan of my lungs and was diagnosed with bronchiectasis. Several months later, another CT scan revealed that I no longer had bronchiectasis. I have been chronically ill ever since. In June, I was hospitalized again with wheezing, coughing, and completely blocked sinuses. Two months later, another CT scan revealed that my sinuses were fine. My pulmonologist stated that my lungs were now fine, but I am still sick all of the time. My throat swells, which causes shortness of breath. I cough constantly with large amounts of mucus. I am usually tired and ache-y all over. Every test I have had comes back normal, even a sputum culture.

Comment from: Still Coughing, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had this cough for a year. I have been to my PCP several times. He said it was acute bronchitis. He gave me medicine; the cough did not go away. He said that maybe it is viral or some type of bacteria causing this cough. Again, I was given medicine and no change. I was sent to two pulmonary specialists. The first one took X-ray of lungs and the second one took a MRI. I was put on mouth inhaler, nose inhaler, allergy medicine and acid reflux. There was still no change. Several tests were done. He thought Lupus and I went to the rheumatologist. I do not have Lupus. I went to Ear, throat and nose doctor.

Published: July 22

I have been sick with a cough on and off for about 9 months. I will cough until I throw up. Its non stop and keeps me up all night. I have been to the doctor; they gave me an inhaler, medicine with codeine and a nasal spray. All of which were short term relief. I don't know what else to do, this cough won't go away.

Comment from: Julie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Ever since about sophomore year of high school it seemed that whenever I caught a cold I was left with a moderate to severe cough for about a month or two. It concerns and bothers everyone around me. I was taken to the doctor the first time I had it, but all they did was give me some cough syrup that didn't help at all. Everyone tells me to drink some water, take some medicine, or suck on some cough drops, but they don't understand that it's my lungs causing the problem and not my throat! Since nobody will listen to me, I'm not sure what to do about it besides wait it out.

Comment from: tired one, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I"m 42 years old and have had a chronic cough for 9 years. I've been to numerous doctors, have had more pills than you can imagine. It's exhausting, I"m tired and my job as a server is hard. No doctor can find anything wrong.

Comment from: Abby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 26 years old and have been coughing for 19 years now. I don't sleep a lot, and it can be very embarrassing in public to be couching until choking. It's worse when I get hot or nervous too. I've had spirometry tests, chest X-rays, and all kinds of inhalers that don't work and drug after drug that doesn't work. I've tried natural therapies with little relief, and now I take codeine daily as it's the only thing that stops my coughing so I can get to sleep. It's not ideal though. The doctor has put it down to me “just having sensitive airways,” but I think there must be something that can be done. My whole life is disrupted -- work, family, everything -- I wish someone could find a solution because if I have to put up with this much longer I will go crazy. It seems there's nothing I can do but just soldier on. I hate it.

Chronic Cough - Remedies Question: What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you used for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Causes Question: Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic cough.
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with a chronic cough.