Patient Comments: Chronic Cough - Diagnosis

Question:How was the diagnosis of your chronic cough established?

Comment from: Susanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I went to many specialists for my chronic cough. I had been to an allergist and had allergy shots, medications, and inhalers given to me. Then I went to a pulmonary doctor and was given sleep tests, lung function tests, and more inhalers. My regular doctor gave me more ACE inhibitors. I had been coughing for a long time. I went to a rheumatologist. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. He is the one who suggested that my blood pressure medicine was causing my cough. I stopped taking the medicine. I know it's not recommended, but I was at my wits end. Low and behold, I stopped coughing in four days. I am going back to the doctor and am trying to get a blood pressure pill that is not an ACE inhibitor. I can actually sleep pretty good at night now without the constant coughing. I hope some of this helps you.

Comment from: VH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had a chronic cough for more than eight years. X-rays have always come up clear. It is mostly non-productive. Sometimes, the coughing spell is so bad that I have pain in my lateral back on both sides. Now it has gotten so bad that I wear pads in case I leak from my bladder or have dry heaves/abdominal cramps. It's worse when I first lie down or wake up in the morning. I'm at my wits end. I have eaten cough drops for just as long, as they give some temporary relief. I am only 48 years old. This is something I want to stop. It is quite embarrassing in public.

Comment from: Sruti K., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Every year, from October to January, I cough. This has been going on since 1972. It's a very dry cough that irritates my throat. It's the heaviest in the mornings and evenings. I sweat heavily and my eyes water when I cough. I have seen no improvement after taking homeopathic, allopathic and ayurvedic medicines.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had a chronic cough for months. I was treated for an upper respiratory infection, but I'm not cured yet. I got the infection in the summer and now it's November/December. Sometimes I use an inhaler. I've also tried cough meds with codeine, and Sudafed. I am always tired, especially from coughing. At first, I thought it was asthma, but the doctor said it wasn't.

Comment from: Help, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had a chronic cough for five years. I just start coughing, and then I vomited. I'm so tired; it just won't stop. I can't go places because when I start coughing, I can't stop. I have been to doctors, but they can't find out why my chest X-ray keeps coming back fine. I get embarrassed at times because I also pass gas when I cough. I really can't help it People look at me as if I have the plague. I tell them I'm fine, I just can't stop coughing. I have been on all kinds of medicines, and nothing works.

Comment from: Concerned Aunt, 13-18 Female Published: November 18

My 17-year-old niece has had a chronic cough for about a year. She has had chest X-rays, and she tested positive for the milk scan. Her doctor put her on medication for GERD, but it is not helping the cough. Since she doesn't have the cough while she sleeps, one doctor told her the cough was in her head. Incidentally, the cough first appeared roughly two months after my niece's grandmother passed away.

Comment from: normed1, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

I have suffered with heartburn and regurgitation for the past two years, but for the past one year, it has worsened. For the past three weeks, this has now led to a kind of chronic cough that worsens at night or when I'm lying down. The cough also worsens when I'm in a warm environment. I have spoken to my primary doctor, but we haven't achieved a better answer for my problem.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I still have constant sinus infections, pain, and smelly mucous, plus asthma, and chest infections. I have asked my general practitioner to send me for an X-ray, but as of yet, I have not had this done. I constantly produce phlegm, which varies in color and feel permanently exhausted. I just want to feel well enough to enjoy life and my grandchildren.

Comment from: coughalot, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have had a chronic cough, tickle in my throat, some sinus drainage in my throat, bronchial spasms, and wheezing for more than three months. I have had a chest X-ray, pulmonary function test, and all the allergy tests. Of course, my doctor says nothing is wrong with me. But I still have this awful annoying cough. I have been on allergy nasal sprays, albuterol inhaler, and steroids. Nothing has helped.

Chronic Cough - Remedies Question: What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you used for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Causes Question: Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough?