Patient Comments: Chronic Cough - Diagnosis

Question:How was the diagnosis of your chronic cough established?

Comment from: Cherie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

My chronic cough started in 1995. It wasn't too bad at first. Now I cough about every 15 minutes. In the mornings, I throw up as well. My nose is only full in the mornings, and I can feel nasal drip. I have been on inhalers, different sinus and asthma medications, and cough meds. The doctor says there is nothing wrong with me. I have been taking Mucinex Extra Strength one tablet every two to three days, alternating with sinus or cold OTC medication. This seems to help somewhat. If I take the Mucinex every 12 hours for two days, there is no more mucus, but I have an extremely dry cough that makes it hard to catch my breath and does not subside as quickly as when you clear the mucus. It's horrible!

Comment from: Kathleen, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 03

I began chronically coughing about four years ago. I was diagnosed with allergies, GERD, then asthma, then emphysema, and then back to asthma. I have had every inhaler you can think of. I purchased a clear air machine for $900. I also purchased special non-allergen sheet and pillow protectors, but still I cough constantly. It's worse at night because I start to choke until I vomit. The only things that have helped me are steroids (prednisone) and a cough syrup with an opiate. The doctor who diagnosed me with emphysema put me on a cough syrup. I was on the cough syrup for a year (1 tsp at night), and it worked. Then my regular doctor decided it was addictive and didn't think I should continue. The cough came back almost immediately, and I have been suffering ever since. I am at my wits end.

Comment from: design911, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

After each summer, we turn the air conditioner off, and soon after, we turn the heat on. I realized that as soon as the house is closed up tight, I get a chronic cough and my allergies and asthma flair up for the entire winter. My whole system starts to disintegrate. I have been told that there are toxins in gas stoves, wood floors, etc., which are expelled into the air that exacerbate allergies and asthma. These toxins can cause rhinitis, hence my post-nasal drip and cough. I now open my windows, regardless of the weather, and try to circulate fresh air throughout the house each morning. I find this helps, along with Allegra, Singular and drinking lots of water to keep hydrated. My cough is starting to go away, but it will take a while.

Comment from: Coughing Still, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had this annoying chronic cough for almost two years and nothing has been found to be wrong with me. It started shortly after a cold or shortly after I started on Indapamide. I had less of a cough after I switched to hydrochlorothiazide for my hypertension. Although it is better now (it's not as frequent), the coughing is just as intense. Dust, certain air conditioning systems, stress, high humidity, eating too many sweets, and just smelling tobacco smoke will set it off. Pantoloc will help sometimes, but not all the time, so I don't think I can blame it on reflux. Less dust certainly helps. Oh, I never cough when I am outside. I've tried all the puffers and the anti-nasal drip medications, but nothing helps!

Comment from: Ryan127, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have had a chronic cough for the last several years. Last February, I ended up with pneumonia and was hospitalized. Not responding to treatment, I had a CT scan of my lungs and was diagnosed with bronchiectasis. Several months later, another CT scan revealed that I no longer had bronchiectasis. I have been chronically ill ever since. In June, I was hospitalized again with wheezing, coughing, and completely blocked sinuses. Two months later, another CT scan revealed that my sinuses were fine. My pulmonologist stated that my lungs were now fine, but I am still sick all of the time. My throat swells, which causes shortness of breath. I cough constantly with large amounts of mucus. I am usually tired and ache-y all over. Every test I have had comes back normal, even a sputum culture.

Comment from: Still Coughing, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had this cough for a year. I have been to my PCP several times. He said it was acute bronchitis. He gave me medicine; the cough did not go away. He said that maybe it is viral or some type of bacteria causing this cough. Again, I was given medicine and no change. I was sent to two pulmonary specialists. The first one took X-ray of lungs and the second one took a MRI. I was put on mouth inhaler, nose inhaler, allergy medicine and acid reflux. There was still no change. Several tests were done. He thought Lupus and I went to the rheumatologist. I do not have Lupus. I went to Ear, throat and nose doctor.

Published: July 22

I have been sick with a cough on and off for about 9 months. I will cough until I throw up. Its non stop and keeps me up all night. I have been to the doctor; they gave me an inhaler, medicine with codeine and a nasal spray. All of which were short term relief. I don't know what else to do, this cough won't go away.

Chronic Cough - Remedies Question: What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you used for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Causes Question: Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough?