Patient Comments: Chronic Cough - Diagnosis

Question:How was the diagnosis of your chronic cough established?

Comment from: Bseiwald, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have coughed for 15 years. I am not sick. Tussionex is the only thing that gives me a half normal life. I've had every inhaler, test, medications, etc. The cough syrup is now 200 per bottle and insurance does not cover.

Comment from: Perry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had a chronic cough for 20 plus years. I have been to so many doctors and had so many tests. They tell me there is no reason they can find that I should cough. Sometimes I cough so much I feel like I am going to pass out. I cannot get my breath (so scary). I am almost to the point I do not want to go out anywhere. I just start this chronic cough for no reason and it is very embarrassing. Don't think I can handle this as I get older.

Comment from: Beverley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have had a chronic cough for about 3 and a half years now. I have had 3 mammograms, 2 chest x-rays and a spirometry test, all negative. It is driving me mad now, my husband harps on all the time about me getting it sorted, so I now take to sneaking into the bathroom and coughing into a towel to disguise the noise, I cough nightly and sometimes during the day but its constant. I have a lot of phlegm at the moment too, it can get quite bad at times to the point where I almost stop breathing, and I don't know what to do next. I take lozenges but they only give temporary relief, I also wear pads cos the cough is sometimes so severe I can't help but pee at the time, it is embarrassing at best.

Comment from: Pat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have suffered from a dry chronic cough now for 10 months. I am a 47 year old female. The cough started after a virus I had 10 months ago and has continued. The cough seems to occur after I eat and when talking. I do not cough at night. Also, it seems to be better when I am outside jogging (cold or warm weather does not matter). I am a high school teacher and this chronic cough makes things difficult. I was treated for 5 months with different acid reflux medications (GERD) and was on an oral steroid Z-Pak for 1 week. I was also placed on an antibiotic for two weeks. None of these have helped. I also had a scope of my throat and voice box which indicated no problems. I am now waiting to see a pulmonary doctor. Oh! I also have had a chest and sinus x-ray which also came up okay. I have noticed that chewing gum helps with the cough. I am frustrated!

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My 8-year-old son has a chronic cough. Cough syrups do not work very well. He has had a couple of visits to the ER within the last two years. His doctor is skeptical about calling it "asthma" even though he prescribed an inhaler, which does little to settle the coughing spasms. We recently visited an ENT because we know his tonsils are big and enlarged and felt if he has his asthma/breathing difficulties maybe alleviated by removing them. We had to cancel the surgery last week because he was wheezing on the day of the surgery. He still has his chronic cough, and I am now skeptical about having his tonsils removed until summer vacation. I need to visit with someone who can help my family determine if it's allergies and not his tonsils that are causing the chronic cough.

Comment from: Wynnie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 06

I have had a chronic, dry cough off and on for several years. I find that when I eliminate wheat or gluten from my diet, my sinuses dry up, the coughing stops, and I feel better. This usually takes five to 10 days to clear my system. This means removing bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, buns, and hidden gluten in sauces, soups, cheeses. It is not easy living without the above items, but there are other products I can eat: rice, corn chips, spelt bread, gluten-free pasta. I hope all this will be of help to some of you.

Comment from: Skerley, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 06

If you have a chronic cough, think about having an endoscopy performed. I've had this cough for several years with vomiting. I've gone through sinus medications, thought I worked in a "sick" building, and then I just began telling everyone it was allergies. Recently, I was hospitalized for something else and had an endoscopy performed. It came back with Barrett's esophagus. I am told this is the beginning of esophageal cancer. So if you cough all the time, ask your doctor to schedule an endoscopy!

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

When I was little, I was diagnosed with asthma, and I had pneumonia when I was 6. The asthma went away until around middle school. In eighth grade, I was coughing constantly. My mom kept shoveling cough syrup down my throat, but wouldn't take me to the doctor until I cracked a rib... from coughing! What a stupid way to crack a rib! The chest X-rays also showed I had pneumonia again. This incident led to multiple doctors' visits and an eventual diagnosis of allergies and the return of my asthma. I'm now a senior in high school, and I'm still coughing. It's annoying and embarrassing. It drives everybody crazy. Sometimes Mucinex helps but not much. I'm going to go crazy. How can I go through college if I'm coughing so much I can't hear any of my classes?!

Chronic Cough - Remedies Question: What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you used for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Causes Question: Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic cough.
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with a chronic cough.