Patient Comments: Chronic Cough - Diagnosis

Question:How was the diagnosis of your chronic cough established?

Comment from: Pat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have suffered from a dry chronic cough now for 10 months. I am a 47 year old female. The cough started after a virus I had 10 months ago and has continued. The cough seems to occur after I eat and when talking. I do not cough at night. Also, it seems to be better when I am outside jogging (cold or warm weather does not matter). I am a high school teacher and this chronic cough makes things difficult. I was treated for 5 months with different acid reflux medications (GERD) and was on an oral steroid Z-Pak for 1 week. I was also placed on an antibiotic for two weeks. None of these have helped. I also had a scope of my throat and voice box which indicated no problems. I am now waiting to see a pulmonary doctor. Oh! I also have had a chest and sinus x-ray which also came up okay. I have noticed that chewing gum helps with the cough. I am frustrated!

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My 8-year-old son has a chronic cough. Cough syrups do not work very well. He has had a couple of visits to the ER within the last two years. His doctor is skeptical about calling it "asthma" even though he prescribed an inhaler, which does little to settle the coughing spasms. We recently visited an ENT because we know his tonsils are big and enlarged and felt if he has his asthma/breathing difficulties maybe alleviated by removing them. We had to cancel the surgery last week because he was wheezing on the day of the surgery. He still has his chronic cough, and I am now skeptical about having his tonsils removed until summer vacation. I need to visit with someone who can help my family determine if it's allergies and not his tonsils that are causing the chronic cough.

Comment from: Wynnie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 06

I have had a chronic, dry cough off and on for several years. I find that when I eliminate wheat or gluten from my diet, my sinuses dry up, the coughing stops, and I feel better. This usually takes five to 10 days to clear my system. This means removing bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, buns, and hidden gluten in sauces, soups, cheeses. It is not easy living without the above items, but there are other products I can eat: rice, corn chips, spelt bread, gluten-free pasta. I hope all this will be of help to some of you.

Comment from: Skerley, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 06

If you have a chronic cough, think about having an endoscopy performed. I've had this cough for several years with vomiting. I've gone through sinus medications, thought I worked in a "sick" building, and then I just began telling everyone it was allergies. Recently, I was hospitalized for something else and had an endoscopy performed. It came back with Barrett's esophagus. I am told this is the beginning of esophageal cancer. So if you cough all the time, ask your doctor to schedule an endoscopy!

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

When I was little, I was diagnosed with asthma, and I had pneumonia when I was 6. The asthma went away until around middle school. In eighth grade, I was coughing constantly. My mom kept shoveling cough syrup down my throat, but wouldn't take me to the doctor until I cracked a rib... from coughing! What a stupid way to crack a rib! The chest X-rays also showed I had pneumonia again. This incident led to multiple doctors' visits and an eventual diagnosis of allergies and the return of my asthma. I'm now a senior in high school, and I'm still coughing. It's annoying and embarrassing. It drives everybody crazy. Sometimes Mucinex helps but not much. I'm going to go crazy. How can I go through college if I'm coughing so much I can't hear any of my classes?!

Comment from: Cherie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

My chronic cough started in 1995. It wasn't too bad at first. Now I cough about every 15 minutes. In the mornings, I throw up as well. My nose is only full in the mornings, and I can feel nasal drip. I have been on inhalers, different sinus and asthma medications, and cough meds. The doctor says there is nothing wrong with me. I have been taking Mucinex Extra Strength one tablet every two to three days, alternating with sinus or cold OTC medication. This seems to help somewhat. If I take the Mucinex every 12 hours for two days, there is no more mucus, but I have an extremely dry cough that makes it hard to catch my breath and does not subside as quickly as when you clear the mucus. It's horrible!

Comment from: Kathleen, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 03

I began chronically coughing about four years ago. I was diagnosed with allergies, GERD, then asthma, then emphysema, and then back to asthma. I have had every inhaler you can think of. I purchased a clear air machine for $900. I also purchased special non-allergen sheet and pillow protectors, but still I cough constantly. It's worse at night because I start to choke until I vomit. The only things that have helped me are steroids (prednisone) and a cough syrup with an opiate. The doctor who diagnosed me with emphysema put me on a cough syrup. I was on the cough syrup for a year (1 tsp at night), and it worked. Then my regular doctor decided it was addictive and didn't think I should continue. The cough came back almost immediately, and I have been suffering ever since. I am at my wits end.

Chronic Cough - Remedies Question: What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you used for your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Causes Question: Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough?
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic cough.
Chronic Cough - Experience Question: Please share your experience with a chronic cough.