Table of Contents
- Chronic cough facts
- What is chronic cough?
- What are causes of chronic cough?
- What are causes of chronic cough? (Continued)
- What are the different types of chronic coughs?
- What kinds of doctors treat chronic coughs?
- How is chronic cough treated?
- How is chronic cough treated? (Continued)
- Are there home remedies for chronic cough?
- Can chronic cough be prevented?
Making Sense of OTC Cold Medications
Unsure about the hundreds of cold and flu preparations on the drugstore shelves? You're not alone. Deciding among the OTC (over-the-counter) remedies for cold, flu, or allergy symptoms can be intimidating, and a basic understanding of the types of drugs included in these medications can help you make an informed choice.
Quick GuideCold and Flu: Finding Relief for Your Cough
Chronic cough facts
- Chronic cough is a cough that persists over time. Chronic cough is not a disease in itself, but rather a symptom of an underlying condition.
- Causes of chronic cough include:
- Treatment for chronic cough is based on addressing the underlying cause.
- Home remedies to ease symptoms of chronic cough include:
- staying hydrated,
- gargling with warm saltwater,
- cough drops,
- honey, and
- Chronic cough may be prevented by not smoking, and managing medical problems such as asthma, postnasal drip, GERD, and getting vaccinated against whooping cough.
What is chronic cough?
Chronic cough is a cough that persists over time. Chronic cough is not a disease in itself, but rather a symptom of an underlying condition. Chronic cough is a common problem and the reason for many doctor visits. Continue Reading
Medscape.com. Diet High in Fruit Fiber and Flavonoids May Prevent Chronic Productive Cough.
National Lung Health Education Program. Chronic Cough.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Proton Pump Inhibitors: Use in Adults. August 2013. 16 June 2015 <http://www.cms.gov/Medicare-Medicaid-Coordination/Fraud-Prevention/Medicaid-Integrity-Education/Pharmacy-Education-Materials/Downloads/ppi-adult-factsheet.pdf>
UpToDate. Patient information: Chronic cough in adults.
2. Getty Images
3. Getty Images
6. Getty Images
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!